konalavadome

New Song/First Song!

• 10 Replies

SJ-Salem

• Busker
« on: March 13, 2016, 07:12:59 PM »
Hi Guys

A bit of a quick back story for you as I'm brand new. I grew up playing mostly metal in my teens, and in recent years as I've gotten more into blues as I've gotten more into singing. But always tried to keep a bit of the punch and spookier themes of metal. So I wrote some material, got the idea for a band 'Black Cat Tango,', made a demo to recruit band, got a band, all quickly went sour , back to square one!

So after all that, with no idea what else to do I decided just to record an EP my myself. I got a friend  to do some lead guitar and take some photos, and the chap who mixed for me also it did some organs, did everything else myself on a shoes string budget.

All though all feedback is welcome. I think I know where the strengths and weaknesses lie in the production and arrangements etc. I would be more curious to know your thoughts on the style, character and atmosphere?

Thank you in advance for your time, I have been enjoying getting stuck into reviewing all of the great music floating about here. As these are the first songs I've recorded properly and shared with people,
I also have little clue about where to go or what to do next so any and all advice is welcomed!

Sinkin Ship

Red skies is cookin' up a wicked storm
Clouds black as a raven at midnight
The heavens will open with the fury of the gods
In a flash of searing white
There's an ill wind blowin' in from the west
Carrying bellows and screams
Typhoons and lightning wash away our sins
It's gonna be worse than it seems

We’re all going to hell its too late to forgive
Just another rat off of that sinkin ship
Better start runnin now if you wanna live
Gotta give em both barrels gotta shoot from the hip
You gotta stand up tall when they tell you to sit
Just another rat…

Whip crack of the lightning with a banshees wail
Shattering the bones of the earth
Digging up the dirt as the rivers run red
It’s the fear that gets to you first
More to meet the maker and the thunder roars
Just smile and fall in line
Stoking the flames of the war machine
Because Tonight in hell we dine
« Last Edit: March 02, 2017, 12:28:29 AM by SJ-Salem »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
I can say I like the treatment. I'm not good at understanding what "style", "character", or "atmosphere" are, but there are other people in these forums who have a much better grasp of those intangible things than I do and I'm sure a couple of them or so will be along soon to let you know what they think.

I like the way the vocal, the tone of the voice, works with the style of the music; it's very suitable, in my opinion. Adds to the...um, maybe it's atmosphere? And makes it better.

I really enjoyed the way you worked with the words. It was like dropping rocks and watching them tumble into perfect formation, if that makes any sense. Like, you'd be singing along and I'd think the next bit wouldn't necessarily fit as good as the last, but they (the words) would just snick right in there, tight and smooth, almost as if with no effort. And I would be surprised by the way you fit them together, and I loved it. It was always perfect.

Vicki

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2016, 10:55:53 PM »
I thought there seemed to be a few too many syllables in parts.... but not really knowing what the song sounds like, I could be wrong.  

Beautifully written Lyric.  So, now I'll go listen.  

Loved the sound of it.  And there were NOT too many syllables anywhere.  Very nicely done in my opinion.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2016, 10:57:29 PM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2016, 11:43:38 PM »
Liked it SJ. You have got a good sound. The song confused me slightly as you had a great morose nick cave sort of feel then the chorus was really happy 😊  anyway I am equally guilty of that. Enjoyed it. Have a listen to some other stuff on here. You will love it.

Cheers

Pompeyjazz

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2016, 01:31:26 AM »
Welcome!

Good tight song and production IMO. great vocal spot on pitch.
It's a unique style and because of that very marketable IMO.
Melody line was a little predictable as was the arrangement but with that unique sound, when you write a more original one it will really be special :).

Stick around - comment on some songs!
Paul

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2016, 08:08:58 AM »
Yes, this is neat. I like the groove and the lyrics, and the chorus has a that nice call/response going on and is catchy. Fine lead guitar and drums, too. For a first song this is exemplary. Well done. Enjoyed it.
West Country Country Boy

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2016, 02:39:50 PM »
Always hard to comment on something which is touted as completed ep.

You'll just have to bear in mind that I have no history as a writer or a critic, or even as a man of taste!

The sound is good. Nice energy and great playing. The song has a goodish hook. Ok 'rat leaving sinking ship' isn't exactly original but I think we're all hard pushed to come up with anything totally new. If it's said well enough who cares? Solos are nice.

Made me think rockabilly/The Stray Cats -that could be the Black Cat that did that though!

The hook is good but I wouldn't have repeated it quite so often.....it comes 3 times per chorus as it is so I wouldn't have kept repeating it after.

The rest of the lyric is ok if a bit cliché-ridden...again I'm not totally against that!

I like the style...the character is basically your vocal which I sort of like but am not 100% behind...can't explain why...just a personal thing...in some ways I really like it....?! And it's certainly  distinctive (and far better than mine!)

I listened on Soundcloud because I wasn't going to watch it anyway. I think you should post the SC link rather than youtube....more likely to get some followers there than youtube subscribers I think. Just about everyone on here is on there.

Anyway it's a great sound for a first go. Good to have you on the forum.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

SJ-Salem

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2016, 02:47:33 AM »

Thank you all for your fantastic comments, they are all very insightful and elegantly put! I appreciate the constructive feedback and have learnt a lot.

In a nutshell I will take away that the rhythm and character is there, but to perhaps go a bit more 'off the wall' next time. And to post Soundcloud links in future! :)

I'm very pleased I have found this forum. I wish I had found it sooner! I look forward to getting stuck into some more reviewing. I always thought forums were more angry and shouty. Here it seems everyone genuinely does have an appreciation and a passion for music!

Humbled

SJ Salem

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2016, 11:35:55 AM »
Yes, I too have found these forums to be a wonderful community for songwriters. And I am so pleased to see how you have jumped right in with wonderful reviews as well as posting interesting music.

I will appreciate your links to SoundCloud, as I usually can't review anything posted to YouTube because videos use too much bandwidth for my abysmal connection. I was lucky and got to review your YouTube video because I happened to be away from home at the time, at a place with unlimited bandwidth....ahhh, what luxury!

CMUK

• Busker
  • https://soundcloud.com/christophermoodymusic
    • http://www.christophermoody.co.uk/
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2016, 07:55:42 PM »
Hey, I really like this. It's not usually what I'd listen to but it's catchy and it has that darkness you were after. Very good. I'd say don't change anything. You now need to go get a band, get out and play live, research where and who would like this stuff in your local area. Find out who the promoters are and hound them for gigs. It kind of has bluesy feel so maybe target that, write a couple of bluesy numbers and your away, there's a big market for that.

Good luck.
Cheers,
Chris.

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2016, 08:29:43 PM »
I thought the song was ace

The writing, performance, production were all spot on

I would be more curious to know your thoughts on the style, character and atmosphere?

This was firmly in "Rock-a-billy" territory for me

If this is what you were aiming for then I think you have pitched it just about right although I think you need to be careful with the lyric content as it doesn't all fit the genre and may turn some fans off IMHO

You are in danger of falling between 2 genres with "metalesque" lyrics (banshiee, gods, thunder etc.) but a definite rock-a-billy sound

Perhaps "lighter" lyrics would help establish a more focused style, character and atmosphere - even though it means copying what has gone before

Crossing genres is always interesting (who would have though hip hop crossed with country to form "hick hop" would have taken off!) but it is a risky strategy

I just can't foresee a load of Teddy Boys gathered around a jukebox in long black leather jackets and make-up - but you never know!!!!!

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic