I've Never Met a Song I Didn't Like

• 30 Replies

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« on: August 23, 2015, 06:25:18 PM »
Hi fellow foruminions!
This is a bit of nostalgia - I hope there's not TOO much cheese on this burger - but I also hope given the genre I'm allowed a bit of cheddar!
All comments good or bad are welcomed
thx
Paul

https://soundcloud.com/paulcanuck/ive-never-met-a-song-i-didnt-like-1

I've Never Met a Song I Didn't Like
Copyright 2015 Tennyson Road Music

A song came on the radio - and I listened as it played
 The music moved, the drummer grooved in a most familiar way
 The first it's heard can be the worst
 But I keep an open mind
 (I know a song can be a friend of mine)

Another slice of living life, and I heard it played again
 But to tell the truth it sounded too much like the latest trend
 And a note or two were out of tune
 But I had to let that slide
 'Cause I've never met a song I didn't like

A song can be too fast or slow,
 Too happy, or too sad
 A song can be too fashionable,
 Or too patterned on the past
 But in this world of shadows
 Each one shines a little light
 And I've never met a song I didn't like

Country, Rock, catchy Pop, Heavy Metal tunes
 Punk, Hip Hop, Jazz it up, the Classics, and the Blues
 I might complain they get in my brain
 And they keep me up at night
 But I've never met a song I didn't like

A song can be too fast, too slow,
 Too happy, or too sad
 Each one shines its little light

I must confess - a few of them
 I'll never play again
 My heart can't take the way they make me
 Cry before they end
 I cry before they end...

A song can be too fast, too slow,
 Too happy, or too sad
 And a song can be far too fashionable,
 Or be trapped back in the past
 But in a world so full of shadows
 Let them shine their precious light!!

I've never met a song I didn't like
 No, I've never met a song I didn't like
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 06:30:31 PM by Paulski »

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2015, 08:13:51 AM »
Well, I wish I had your talent for lyrics..this is brilliant and again..worthy of a Broadway show,

this is perfect, the right amount of cheese placed perfectly on this beautifully cooked burger..

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2015, 08:06:08 PM »
Lovely song - a Broadway musical opener in my opinion

Lovely lyrics and really sensitive production

It would have been an interesting touch to add an element from each of the genres as you list them - although they probably pass a bit quick but it could be fun to try

You absolutely HAVE to write a musical!!!!!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2015, 08:08:25 AM »
One Too Many is a hard act to follow. This is totally different and it delivers in a different way. I think the previous comments about it suiting a musical are spot on. For me the stand out lines are these...

A song can be too fast or slow,
Too happy, or too sad
Each one shines a little light

Quality stuff

;D

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2015, 08:50:14 AM »
Yes! I love the way the lines and narrative flow without ever sounding forced or cliched. Also interesting was the way the first verse didn't quite resolve as expected, leading us into the rest. And those key changes...!

Brilliant stuff.

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015, 01:54:17 PM »
A great listen and a wonderfully conversational style to the lyric. Nothing forced at all. Lovely old fashioned use of harmony.

I guess you are preaching to the converted somewhat with a love song to songs in this forum but I think the way you have presented the idea, it still has universal resonance.

I can see this working as a show tune, and maybe a show closer that sums up a whole production.

Lovely stuff, a pleasure!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015, 08:45:51 PM »
@shadowfax

Hi Kevin - thanks for the +tive comments - yes broadway here I come  ;D

@Boydie

cheers for that Paul - the thought had crossed my mind about doing a riff out of each genre mentioned but then I thought - back off on the parmesan man! Might still do it..  ;D

@Doodles

Thanks doodles - esp grateful for the lyrics comment - so glad you enjoyed it!

@adamfarr

Thanks Adam - I was unsure about holding back the hook in verse 1 - glad it still worked for you. I'm still a big fan of a key change before the last chorus - but I know it's fallen out of vogue somewhat.

@tboswell

Haha - yeah "preaching to the converted" though I have seen a few comments that would imply a song wasn't liked. But I'm glad you liked this one!

thanks to all you cheese lovers. Want a bit of wine with that?  ??? ???
Paul

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 05:13:19 PM »

another goodie paulski
what a title ..inspired
performance and vocal
perfect show tune as folks have said and a touch of disney-
is there a songwriting character in jungle book ? cos this would be their song..
thats what came to mind anyway, the word play,  akin to 'the bare necessities..'
did you get the title first and built the song around it or did it arrive by osmosis so to speak ?
whatever i bet you hit the ceiling when it popped in your head
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 05:55:19 PM »
i really like your piano playing, vocals are always very good and you seem to be able to knock great songs out almost at will and of course your lyrics are excellent too...but i think the best thing is the warm, friendly good-natured wit and charm you bring to everything i've seen/heard from you on here.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 07:22:14 PM »
Hi Paul,

I read your tee up before I listened and thought "what is this going to be like?"
I'm not really one for cheese. Thankfully, this wasn't cheesy at all - and i think that's down to your delivery. A little tongue in cheek, with a bit of wit, but still with a sense of style.
Made for the stage for sure.

Digger

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #10 on: August 27, 2015, 04:14:17 PM »
Lol! Just a few bars and you know that this is Paulski. Has your trademark vocals as well as lyrics. There's something about the way you write lyrics that is very distinctively you, can't really put my finger on it though. Very good (as always).
Smooth, classy songwriting and great performance and production. Would make a great love song with other lyrics. And I guess that's my only criticism.. they way the song and the lyrics sort of "clash" makes it balancing dangerously close on the edge of a parody. Made me think of a song by Tenacious D that combines a very sweet song with a not so sweet set of lyrics (won't write out the titel but you'll find it unless you don't already know it).
Anyway, I think you got through that balancing act on the right side, but just barely.   ;D
Well done!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: August 28, 2015, 12:53:56 PM »
Classy work Paulski,it's very reminiscent of Randy Newman's work. Sound in lyrical content,tight musically,well performed and executed.

Result!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2015, 02:46:37 PM »
@nooms

cheers for the nice comments! Don't know much about jungle book though. Actually the hook came first and I thought - somebody must have written a song called this before. I googled it and happily no-one had!

@PaulAds

Thanks Paul. I've never been accused of being charming before  ;D ;D but I appreciate the kind remarks!

@digger72

"Made for the stage" haha - now there's a good hook right there. Glad it wasn't too smaltzy for you - thanks for listening and commenting

@Jambrains

Thanks - that was my plan - keep on the right side of campy  ;D

@Skub

I love Randy Newman! There, I've said it  :o Thanks!

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 09:30:07 AM »
Well-written as ever and nicely arranged. I did wonder if 2 verses unaccompanied (apart from the piano of course) at the beginning was 1 too many. 1st verse sounded like an out of song intro if you know what i mean so i expected a bit more to happen next....

Didn't think it was too cheesy at all...I was expecting it after you'd said it, but no, it didn't even stray close to the line for me. i think the fairly straight vocal delivery kept it within bounds.

The 'musical' style comments are understandable and I can visualise it - only the singer on the stage....a reflective interlude between 'busier' scenes...the voice of tolerance between warring factions....you know the kind of thing...

You do this sort of light, musical style very well. And you can tackle the heavier, more melancholy (or plain sad) stuff too, AND the lively songs, so you've got all the bases covered to compose the whole musical.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2015, 05:41:16 PM »
Well-written as ever and nicely arranged. I did wonder if 2 verses unaccompanied (apart from the piano of course) at the beginning was 1 too many. 1st verse sounded like an out of song intro if you know what i mean so i expected a bit more to happen next....

Didn't think it was too cheesy at all...I was expecting it after you'd said it, but no, it didn't even stray close to the line for me. i think the fairly straight vocal delivery kept it within bounds.

The 'musical' style comments are understandable and I can visualise it - only the singer on the stage....a reflective interlude between 'busier' scenes...the voice of tolerance between warring factions....you know the kind of thing...

You do this sort of light, musical style very well. And you can tackle the heavier, more melancholy (or plain sad) stuff too, AND the lively songs, so you've got all the bases covered to compose the whole musical.

Thanks Viscount!
The second verse has bass added (maybe not loud enough) but I agree it's a bit sparse. I suppose I could do a few piano ornaments in there  ;D. Yeah - and stay tuned for my full-on musical production - just need a good plot. I always hated musicals when I was a kid though  ???
Best
Paul