konalavadome

American Cars

• 46 Replies

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« on: March 11, 2014, 08:05:45 PM »
Ok dudes,,had this for about a week and a half now..a composition by myself and Sevla..

It`s been re-recorded in that Tennessee city beginning  with  N ;)

A country rocker!

https://soundcloud.com/songsthatcry/american-cars-m

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2014, 09:06:47 PM »
Hi STC,

The production is great. I liked the music, but wasn't keen on the vocal - i've never really liked country vocals. But they sound authentic, so for those who do they will be great.
The whole track sounds like it belongs to that genre, and i can find no fault other than my own prejudices.

Good stuff.

Digger

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2014, 09:11:00 PM »
Hi STC,

The production is great. I liked the music, but wasn't keen on the vocal - i've never really liked country vocals. But they sound authentic, so for those who do they will be great.
The whole track sounds like it belongs to that genre, and i can find no fault other than my own prejudices.

Good stuff.

Digger

Yeah, written for an American market..i`m a bit of a closet country fan actually...so i quite like the vocals but i take your point...was done in a prof studio so,the production values are present and paid for ;)

But thanx for the listen!

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 09:37:52 PM »
Got to say, you have come up with an authentic Country Rock song. To my ears anyway. I'm not really up to date with current trends in Nashville :D

The playing and production is very professional.

I assume you're writing specifically to break into this market and I wish you the best of luck. It's a crowded place, but I think you have a saleable product.

Hope it break through.

8)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2014, 09:50:36 PM »
Got to say, you have come up with an authentic Country Rock song. To my ears anyway. I'm not really up to date with current trends in Nashville :D

The playing and production is very professional.

I assume you're writing specifically to break into this market and I wish you the best of luck. It's a crowded place, but I think you have a saleable product.

Hope it break through.

8)

Yes it was a work of two minds really...my initial concept but worked on by Sevla..he`s not been on here for s good while now...but yes for the country market.the prasie for the production and musicianship is down the session muso`s!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2014, 10:06:37 PM »
This is an interesting one

I like the "authentic" vocal

I do think the quality of the production is hiding a few issues with the song itself...

On first listen I was not sure if the "Amercian Cars" was a metaphor for girls or a nostalgic look back at good times - I got a feeling it was a mix of the 2 concepts, which I think is a danger as it confuses the message of the song

I think the verse and pre-chorus are great and it feels like it is building up to an epic chorus that never quite delivers for me

It sounds like it should "change up another gear" (excuse the pun!) but the vocal does not go up and the music actually runs down for the chorus, which I thought lost a bit of momentumn

This is definitely not my genre so please take this with a huge pinch of salt

Overall though I really enjoyed the song
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2014, 10:27:28 PM »
This is an interesting one

I like the "authentic" vocal

I do think the quality of the production is hiding a few issues with the song itself...

On first listen I was not sure if the "Amercian Cars" was a metaphor for girls or a nostalgic look back at good times - I got a feeling it was a mix of the 2 concepts, which I think is a danger as it confuses the message of the song

I think the verse and pre-chorus are great and it feels like it is building up to an epic chorus that never quite delivers for me

It sounds like it should "change up another gear" (excuse the pun!) but the vocal does not go up and the music actually runs down for the chorus, which I thought lost a bit of momentumn

This is definitely not my genre so please take this with a huge pinch of salt

Overall though I really enjoyed the song

Hmm.. you make some points i never thought about.....first, the American cars is the thing you drive,not sure how well metaphors go down well in country..i guess they do >

yes it could all be cranked up more.........it`s not something i had any control over you understand......but remember this is still a demo.and interestingly i was listening to songwriter on Youtube,,,and she has a studio there,,,,and made a point about demos...there must be room for a band to stamp their identity on over it,,,,and not to make it sound like anyone in particular....cos that puts them off....so something in the style, but almost generic of the genre'..if you like.?

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2014, 11:18:18 PM »
 its hard to comment on something thats been slotted together  completeley & cynicaly for commercial sucess bcos thats not why im in music...i only write & play what i want to hear & cant imagine it any other way
i thought the lyric was definateley upto the big production it got here ....it was snappy & rhymed well tho this sort of music is like its had musical botox so the lyrics arent realy alive anymore
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2014, 11:26:56 PM »
its hard to comment on something thats been slotted together  completeley & cynicaly for commercial sucess bcos thats not why im in music...i only write & play what i want to hear & cant imagine it any other way
i thought the lyric was definateley upto the big production it got here ....it was snappy & rhymed well tho this sort of music is like its had musical botox so the lyrics arent realy alive anymore

Now hang on there,,,,,,this actually started life in my mind as a nice Sheryl Crow.Eagles type song...but as happens ,got changed .and got catchy...and since these sort of songs are popular in the states...i kept it together...i think some of what you said is a bit disingenuous ......i'm trying to go pro! and thats the way it is my lady...you`ve gotta give em what they want!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2014, 12:17:44 AM »
For sure sounds like a pro studio and like something you would hear on a country radio station. But I don't quite understand why you are posting it here - unless you are just promoting it. Some forums have a "showcase" section for this type of work, which is obviously too advanced to be changed by any comments from us. If you really want to hear feedback on it:
Production wise - top notch!
I didn't get what "had it made in American cars" meant, and at the end it changes to "making love in.." which is something different again.
Like Boydie I didn't find the chorus lived up to expectations
I found it a tad too long and didn't think the guitar work later in the song suited the track
I thought the vocals were really good, but could have used some harmonies. It would have been nice to see the lyrics if you want comments on those.
Best of luck with it
Paul

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2014, 12:25:06 AM »
For sure sounds like a pro studio and like something you would hear on a country radio station. But I don't quite understand why you are posting it here - unless you are just promoting it. Some forums have a "showcase" section for this type of work, which is obviously too advanced to be changed by any comments from us. If you really want to hear feedback on it:
Production wise - top notch!
I didn't get what "had it made in American cars" meant, and at the end it changes to "making love in.." which is something different again.
Like Boydie I didn't find the chorus lived up to expectations
I found it a tad too long and didn't think the guitar work later in the song suited the track
I thought the vocals were really good, but could have used some harmonies. It would have been nice to see the lyrics if you want comments on those.
Best of luck with it
Paul

The original was posted before your time! the lyrics are there if you search that archive....lyrics forum..i;m not looking for any FB really,just thought i would post it....the theme isn;t so hard to get really..just listen to it again....we thought we had all made,means we thought life was complete.......making love in AM/cars just clarifies that thought,and also creates a lyric change on the outro section.....these songs and lyrice get the once over by studio writers before they get made...and your observations were not mentioned..and they are not a problem to me as the writer of them!

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2014, 06:18:31 AM »
Hi :)

I m interested, in what you did on this song. I m new, so i don t know :) the singing, the guitars, the lyrics.....etc. just curious.

This is a very good country / rock song. in terms of production, songwriting etc....it s full of good melodies; transitions between verse, chorus, etc are good to me.
it really sounds like you guys really worked hard on this song to make it sound the way it does.

Well, a small critic (forget it if you disagree):

that lead guitar with all these sound FX on it - i think it plays almost all the time - it s very present - maybe a little too much....

To make it a real hit; maybe the hook should be even more catchy...

apart from that, this is a very good song. I m not too much into country music (if it s not Neil Young) but i think it s a very good song.

cheers...howdy :)

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2014, 08:41:14 AM »

I want to qualify what I am about to say with the following:

I completely understand what you are doing and support you 100%

You should be commended for "giving it a proper go" and I admire the fact that your have already had a song published and have committed to getting a proper "Nashville demo" done of this song

I also really like your determination and single minded view, which I think is necessary for success

However, I do fear that you could limit yourself if you let "confidence" turn in to "arrogance" - I don't mean this to sound as bad as it does in writing but I really do want you to succeed

I do appreciate that you may feel the need to "defend yourself" at times - you really do not need to

It would be easier for me to just "let it slide by" but I care enough to risk letting you know...

The original was posted before your time! the lyrics are there if you search that archive....lyrics forum

I was surprised by this comment! I was also interested to see the lyrics to see whether I got confused about "the message" so I could qualify my feedback but I am not going to go and search for them

i;m not looking for any FB really,just thought i would post it....the theme isn;t so hard to get really..just listen to it again....we thought we had all made,means we thought life was complete

I think here you are cutting yourself off from some useful feedback - so far 2 people haven't "got" the message of the song in one listen - this would definitely make me think about the lyric and the "concept" of the song. We could be off base (a quick look at the lyric would solve it) but I would definitely give this some consideration

these songs and lyrice get the once over by studio writers before they get made...and your observations were not mentioned..and they are not a problem to me as the writer of them!

I do think you are being swept away by the Nashville thing here...

I am sure the studio is a "good guy" but they ultimately want your business so I do not think they are going to tell anyone a song sucks so don't record it with us - they might offer tweaks but I am pretty sure they would record anything

You being happy with it is another matter, and ultimately all that counts, but I would strongly suggest that you consider ANY feedback - especially feedback from the fish rather than us fishermen  ;)

Please do not see this as an attack - more of an "intervention" from a friend that doesn't want to see you "go off the rails"
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2014, 11:05:54 AM »
Ok Boydie,,,]]heres the original demo ..for those he didn't hear it,or remember it.

https://soundcloud.com/sevla-music/american-cars

And the lyrics.....more or less these...it`s a puzzle to me why "2" don`t get them,,it`s a driving song,with some metaphor use !...

But like i said i'm not looking for feedback...in the usual sense...i have a song in next few days that we did in Bristol,,i will ask fo FB for that one........but not for this..i know what i think,,,and yes there are things with it that i could adjust,and that can be done for someone else....but it was it is......people on here do like to `pick` with lyrics....to the point when they have no meaning to way too much meaning...just my opinion...
when the evening sun dies down
let’s go driving out of town
counting head lights with the radio on,

you turn me on when you turn your key
an endless road before you and me
crazy how .......crazy how it feels

cos I’m lookin for love, with a fast lane heart
you’re a turning wheel, from a standing start
and I love  the feel, when you take  me apart
it was so damn fast, it was off the charts

and I thought we all had it made
in American cars………..in American cars....

[Intro*1/2]

We’ll be cruisin’ thru the night
On the highway til its light
Rear view mirror shows where we came from

Just leave behind that old parking lot
‘Cos movin’ on kinda hits the spot
crazy how .......crazy is how it feels

When we’re burning the miles down to easy street
Even broke down hearts, gonna feel the beat
‘Cos we’re rolling along, with a tank o’ gas
Higher octane love, an’ it’s built to last

in   American Cars......in American cars

[Intro*1/4] - [middle 8]

You’ got the curves of steel
I love your look and I love your feel
Front bench seat and column shift
0 to 60 in a four wheel drift
I need the freedom that you bring
It’s a fast lane freeway loving thing
{were kings and queens of this heavy load}. new line
{i dig that view ,lets hit the road}...................new line

[solo over intro]

when the evening sun dies down
let’s go driving out of town
counting head lights with the radio on,

cos I’m lookin for love, with a fast lane heart
you’re a turning wheel, from a standing start
and I loved the feel, when you took me apart
it was so damn fast, it was off the charts

making love in  American Cars
and i thought we all had it made
making love in American cars………..in American cars....
[intro fade]

AmirMaor

• Open Mic
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2014, 11:27:57 AM »
A real country rocker!!!

sound great, good mix also, well done! :)
My First English Song + Clip:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BUmkbv-v-vI