How do people react to you being musically creative/in a band/writing lyrics?

• 16 Replies

marianheawood

« Reply #15 on: May 05, 2011, 01:36:41 PM »
Hi.. I've just come back and read the comments above which I'd like to add to.. well, the part about some people thinking that all we want is fame when we are musicians/songwriters. For me, personally, I took up the challenge of trying to achieve some commercial success because of going through bad times in my life. The fact that I had a love of music, writing, not just songs but stories and poetry, was a lifeline I could hang on to, with the help and encouragement of my second husband. (I have edited out the details of my bad experience, just in case it makes others feel uncomfortable that I had gone into unnecessary details). Music, my piano, and creativity was something no-one could take away from me. I did not ever think that I would get anywhere with my creative pursuits, but, when things did start to happen, I didn't realise that the word 'fame' would be regarded as the reason for the efforts I had made to survive and make something of my life. Once I had some small successes musically, the local press gave me
publicity and there were happy articles and pictures about my achievements. I plucked up the courage to be interviewed on local radio programmes and probably gave the impression I had no inward worries and sadness. I was not doing all this for the fame, but the sheer pleasure of knowing I had risen to a challenge personally in my life, and was winning a personal battle. I was only wanting to write songs for artists to take up and record (that's what they did, once). I would not be the one in the limelight. It would be the singer on a recording who would already have fame or would get the fame for singing a song someone like me had written. That was what I wanted, not the fame. It has surprised me that some people have not taken my efforts in a good way and made remarks that I was just after being in the papers and so implying I just wanted fame.  Marian.  
« Last Edit: May 05, 2011, 07:38:10 PM by marianheawood »

Choogle82

• Busker
« Reply #16 on: May 13, 2011, 08:49:34 PM »
Hey guys

It's first so nice to find this place where other like minded people meet and chat

I have always wanted to write music always enjoyed music

But for some reason have never ever been bcked by family and loved ones so to be honest I never let anyone no I was doing it

I have wrote no for year or so and still get vey mixed reactions, my new friends I have meet in the last few years are very supportive but my family believe I should be a family man working a 9 till 5 2 point 4children kinda man, so for many years I settled into that routine.

I am now just about to hit my 29 birthday and have now come to think that this is me this is what I do and if one person can turn around and say that something I wrote they enjoyed then I am happy nd I have done my job, it's not about fame and money but to no. Have affected someone's life in a good way

Just really need to stop writing lve songs lol

Peace
Choogle