konalavadome

My first lyric and song posting.

• 12 Replies

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« on: September 01, 2013, 06:03:20 AM »
This is not autobiographical, and is NOT about my ex wife.  

The story is built around an acquaintance of hers whose boyfriend (we always joked) needed to be told, “Run Harold, run  -- RUN LIKE THE WIND.”  For those interested in such things, Harold  managed to escape his fate and presumably went ahead with his life and found someone less fearsome.  The guy in the song wasn’t so lucky.  :O)  

“Harold’s” name (in the note above)  has been changed to protect the guilty and the innocent alike.

If you wish to hear the song, you can click on the link at the bottom of this page that connects to my Reverbnation site.
I'm not an accomplished accompaniment writer, and know there are things wrong with the composition that I'm not currently smart enough to fix.

RUN LIKE THE WIND

Ran into my ex wife’s boyfriend  at the grocery store.
He was standin at the counter when  I walked in through the door.  
There was nothing to do but stop and say hi.  
We traded some small talk.  We  traded some lies.  
He’s a really nice guy.... nobody to fear  
But I never got the chance to tell him what he needed to hear.

I know I should have told him to run like the wind.
I know he thinks he’s in love but it’s trouble he’s in.
She’s pretty as Hell but she’s meaner than sin.
I really shoulda warned him to  run, run, run, run, run like the wind.

I saw him at the bar on a Saturday night.
He was feelin real good... he was feelin just right.
We talked about the weather and the New York Jets.
We played a little pool.  We placed a couple bets.
I bought him the beer that I’d promised before.
I didn’t have the gumption to tell him no more.  

I know I should have told him to run like the wind.
He’s a likable guy with that big goofy grin.

He married her today that poor sunuvabitch.
But it's better for me cause I know that he’s rich.
Now she’s married to him,  I’m off of the hook,
for the alimony payments.  It’s beginning to look,
like it’s curtains for him in the future I see.  
But I’m tellin you now... better him than me.

I really should have told him to run like the wind.

I really feel bad about the trouble he's in,
He's a likable guy with that big, goofy grin,                                                                        
He’s a likable guy with that big goofy grin.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2013, 06:15:11 AM by hardtwistmusic »
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Allan

• Busker
    • You Tube
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 01:20:39 PM »
I read through and enjoyed the lyrics, the chorus especially made me smile. I listened to the track and I liked it but felt it was lacking in parts to keep my attention which for me was a shame as I  do feel your lyrics flow nicely. :)
Al

Bernd

• Solo Gig
    • Bernd's Lyrics
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 03:40:17 PM »
I enjoyed your lyrics a lot!

The song is fine, too, although the performance and recording quality makes it a little difficult to value its potential (I have the same problem, BTW.).

I wish you success!

Bernd

PS: a note with regard to copyright, or rather licensing:

"If they are good enough that you would like to perform them... I will make them available to you in a manner that will be fair to you and will not cost you money unless you begin getting airplay with my songs. "

Once registered with a PRO your songs are automatically available to be "covered" (or produced professionally which essentially is the same). The artists never need to pay anything - it's the concert organizers and radio stations who pay the license fees for the creators (via their PRO). Your note might actually scare artists and producers off ;-)
Bernd
good lyricist, mediocre songwriter, lousy musician
likes rock but writes for anybody anyway ;-)

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 03:52:47 PM »
I adore the chorus! You can feel the emotion and anger in there when you're reding it. I also loved the original yet relatable story you told through the verses (I can imagine my parents singing this to each other :))
The only part I didn't think was as good was the verse that starts 'he married her today', I just didn't think it was as strong or as clear as the rest of the song which is simply class.
But I still loved the song :D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 06:14:49 PM »
I enjoyed your lyrics a lot!

The song is fine, too, although the performance and recording quality makes it a little difficult to value its potential (I have the same problem, BTW.).

I wish you success!

Bernd

PS: a note with regard to copyright, or rather licensing:

"If they are good enough that you would like to perform them... I will make them available to you in a manner that will be fair to you and will not cost you money unless you begin getting airplay with my songs. "

Once registered with a PRO your songs are automatically available to be "covered" (or produced professionally which essentially is the same). The artists never need to pay anything - it's the concert organizers and radio stations who pay the license fees for the creators (via their PRO). Your note might actually scare artists and producers off ;-)

I was aware of the fact that once produced, a song can be covered by anyone.  I was NOT aware of the way my wording could potentially scare off an artist.  I see exactly what you are saying, and will change that. 

And I thank you greatly for the listen and for going the extra mile to read the bio.  That's one of the things I have found so refreshing about this site.... people seem to actually LISTEN here. 

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2013, 06:17:02 PM »
I read through and enjoyed the lyrics, the chorus especially made me smile. I listened to the track and I liked it but felt it was lacking in parts to keep my attention which for me was a shame as I  do feel your lyrics flow nicely. :)
Al

Thank you so much for the read and the listen.  I know the music is lacking, but will be some time getting around to fixing it.  I've learned a lot in the last few years, but still have so much to learn.  It actually seems like a major miracle that I can write music at all.  I'd never have guessed I could. 

Thank you again.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2013, 06:20:21 PM »
I adore the chorus! You can feel the emotion and anger in there when you're reding it. I also loved the original yet relatable story you told through the verses (I can imagine my parents singing this to each other :))
The only part I didn't think was as good was the verse that starts 'he married her today', I just didn't think it was as strong or as clear as the rest of the song which is simply class.
But I still loved the song :D

Thanks so much for the critique.  I appreciate the time you took, and the insights you offerred.  That third verse took a long time to put together, and it was (in fact) forced in places.  Thanks again.

PeeJay

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2013, 10:05:56 PM »
This is a good story and a fun read.

I liked this line:

'We traded some small talk.  We  traded some lies'

He seems like a decent guy though. Maybe they should stay friends and ditch the woman. Drinking and gambling sounds good to me!

Phil.
I don't know what i'm doing but i do it anyway.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2013, 01:22:20 AM »
This is a good story and a fun read.

I liked this line:

'We traded some small talk.  We  traded some lies'

He seems like a decent guy though. Maybe they should stay friends and ditch the woman. Drinking and gambling sounds good to me!

Phil.

The guy doing the singing/narration clearly has mixed emotions.  He likes the guy, and appreciates what he's doing for him, but fears for his happiness.  Odd little friendship really.  The cool thing with a song is you can always decide in your own mind where this all goes. 

BooBoo

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2013, 10:23:21 AM »
This is good. To me te chorus is the strongest part. I like how it all tells a clear story!
VOTE FOR JUNE LOTM!!!!!!!

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2013, 03:07:48 AM »
This is good. To me te chorus is the strongest part. I like how it all tells a clear story!

Thank you so much for the input.  I always worry on a song like this if the female perspective can stomach such a male oriented song.  It's good to hear that you liked it.

BTW... with this one less than many others, there's a recurring, underlying theme to many of my songs, particularly those with a bit of country in them.  The theme (hard to identify if you don't know you are looking for it) is "the failure of male coping mechanisms." 

Many songs that (on the surface) see, to be about something else have this underlying theme. 

It's not something I do on purpose.  I HEAR that theme (whether the songwriter/singer intends it) so often that I have become very conscious of it.  This song is actually about a pretty functional (i.e. only mildly failing) coping mechanism.  :O)

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2013, 11:42:18 AM »
Hi  Hardtwistmusic :)

I like these lyrics....more so because men seldom reveal their  weaknesses or emotions
I write songs that  most men would not write about about being weak,torn etc....but its reality & the other bloke thing   happens  &  its a  worthy subject to write about...both kind of 'good luck...you make your bed & lie on it   &  at the same time wounded &  feeling a loss.

Nice        Stylus :)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2013, 01:10:48 AM »
Hi  Hardtwistmusic :)

...you make your bed & lie on it 
                                                Nice        Stylus :)

Now THAT is a song waiting to be written.  Such a familiar old saying, and I can't say I've ever heard anyone write a song about it.   I do recall a couple of songs that "mixed the metaphor" so to speak and changed the saying to make a cute song structure. 

But I don't recall a serious song about "you made your bed, now lie in it."