konalavadome

The Letter (Brutal Love)

• 7 Replies

Miguelrye89

« on: June 03, 2016, 06:32:17 AM »
Hey all! Just some quick background, "Eve of Nowhere" is a project I'm putting together hopefully one day to become a band once I find the right people! Since about 2011 I've just been writing potential songs for the bands albums. Specializing mostly in Metal/Rock with pop influences,  This particular song digs into my past, about my father. All critique is deeply appreciated! Thank you!

The Letter (Brutal Love)

V1: I'm awake, but lost in a dream
Attacked by the visions of my memories
You'd raise your hand
And knock her off her feet
I knew sooner or later
You would come for me
With violent threats and silent screams
You tore our hearts
Broke the seams
In tears neck deep
I can't breathe
Cause all along you were the enemy

Chorus: You're not a hero
And this is not a dream 
You're another dead beat father
That forgiveness can't redeem
Was brutal love your life letter to me?
Cause the one I've left for my son
Reminds him I'll never leave

V2: YOU LEFT HOLES IN THEIR HEARTS
YOU PROVOKED THE FEAR
A MOTHERS WASTED CRIES
FROM THE PAIN SHE BEARED
And you were revered
As a hero in the dark
UNTIL THEY SAW YOU
FOR WHAT YOU WERE
WHEN THE LIGHTS BEGAN
BEGAN TO BURN
The truth no longer concealed
Cause the monster had been revealed

Chorus: You're not a hero
And this is not a dream 
Was brutal love your life letter to me?
Cause the one I've left for my son
Reminds him I'll never leave
                        ~Michael A. Ellington, 2016

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2016, 05:57:03 PM »
Hi Michael

Sorry this one is a bit too personal to criticize.
But I do hope that writing and performing it helps you deal with those memories.
Very brave of you to write it IMO.

Best Wishes
Paul

Miguelrye89

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2016, 12:18:44 AM »
I appreciate your honesty. Every set of lyrics I create (per album) has at least one or two ballads. This being one of those ballads!

Vintage54

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2016, 11:55:45 PM »

Hey Man,
      Powerful and personal, getting it down on paper is a good way to help. I never went through anything like this, but that doesn't mean i can't feel. I admire your courage, you are not alone.

Felt the pain
                        Vintage54

Miguelrye89

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2016, 03:32:53 AM »
Thank you so much for the feedback! You are absolutely right, getting it all out in writing has definitely been helpful! I can't wait to post more of my work!

Helena4

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2016, 11:01:33 AM »
Okay, as other people said, I really admire you for putting this all down in words, and I hope it is helping you deal with your memories. I think this sort of emotion is what makes for truly powerful songs, but also to tap into it you have to make yourself sort of vulnerable, which must be hard for such a horrible experience. Well done. However, I will offer you some of my opinions since I'm sure you wanted some criticism from posting it, right?

The verses I really love, the first one really sets the scene and the second one conveys a lot of emotion. I really like the dark and the burning lights device you used there. But I am not fond of the chorus. Apart from "Was brutal love your life letter to me? And the one I left for my son, Reminds him I'll never leave", which I see a lot of meaning in, nothing hooks me about the rest of the lines:

You're not a hero
(This is a cliche. Chliches are fine maybe in the flow of a verse or if you twist them ironically or something, but starting your chorus with an unaltered cliche doesn't provide that sort of explosion you want to stand out from other songs in my opinion)

And this is not a dream
(Again, not a very individual line, doesn't say much. It's emphasis sure, but you never implied that we might think it was a dream so it's really not relevant - you could put something more poignant in)

(This makes sense, and you might be able to fit it in with other more powerful lyrics, but put in after some cliche and nondescript lines its just another phrase we hear too much "dead-beat dad". I haven't heard a song with it in though, so I think you can use it some other way as I said. I like how you're hammering home the point unashamedely - you leave no room for doubt. You don't have to do that though)

(This is fine, but it doesn't redeeem this first half of the chorus.)

So I would rewrite that half of the chorus. Don't even be afraid to rewrite the whole chorus to make it even stronger... a song I wrote recently had 3 different drafts in 3 completely different styles with different lyrics telling the same story and in the end a lot of stuff that made me emotional was thrown out for something better. I'm still attached to the other versions, but they're not THE ONE. If you can't find really really strong, emotional and poignant-to-the-message lines to complete your chorus. I find it's better to work with a bit more repetition. It's simple and effective emphasis that will make it catchier too.

It seems a bit like I'm ripping into your song - I'm really not. Others have already told you its good. But when I see someone putting in effort, I want to give the most detailed criticisms I can so they can really get something out of it. Hope you appreciate that, and I hope it helped a little.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution...
I am a rebel girl.

Miguelrye89

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2016, 08:48:58 PM »
Thank you so much! I will definitely be going over this one again and again! Although it is very personal the critism is exactly what I'm looking for to further perfect my lyrics! Again, I fully appreciate the feed back and will definitely be taking it into consideration! Thank you.

Helena4

• Open Mic
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2016, 09:59:19 PM »
Thank you so much! I will definitely be going over this one again and again! Although it is very personal the critism is exactly what I'm looking for to further perfect my lyrics! Again, I fully appreciate the feed back and will definitely be taking it into consideration! Thank you.

That's alright, I sort of enjoy writing these criticisms so the pleasure is all mine, lol. I'd love to see it evolve.
In her kiss, I taste the revolution...
I am a rebel girl.