konalavadome

My Heart Opens Like a Rose (bare bone contest entry)

• 31 Replies

Day2Take1

• Busker
« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2016, 11:57:41 PM »
This reminded me very much of the art songs I sang in college and high school. There is so much here for the vocalist to play with.  Breathing and technique.  It also has that standard quality.  Something you could hear a lot of artists cover.  I would love to hear a female vocalist take a crack at it.  Quite nice.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2016, 02:31:13 AM »
Hey Paulski!

Another of your lovely songs. I do have one little...tiny...nit....  And I might just not be getting it. In this verse:

Keys to my heart
I keep closely guarded
Dancing with someone new
But how would I know
My love can unfold
The moment I glance at you?

I might have said (for the last three lines):
But how could I know
My love would unfold
The moment I glanced at you?

Anyway, it's a great contender for the bare bones award!

Vicki

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2016, 06:52:52 AM »
Lovely song Paul with some great chord progressions and wonderful piano playing. It's a great love song. Very impressive

John

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2016, 06:37:29 PM »
Hi Paul,

This could be one of the most difficult comps to vote in ever. There's such a variety of very good songs.
This has that stage musical sound you can perfect (amongst other genres you are equally adept at).
Really like the way the piano just wanders around with strange melodies.
Strong vocal performance.

Good stuff.

Digger

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #19 on: July 23, 2016, 07:28:32 AM »
Absolutely love it Paul,

You've got that Bacharach thing going on again, but even better than before. All the modern cr*p left behind, leaving pure songwriting at its finest. To me it wouldn't sound amiss on one his many best of albums - and I'm talking the single CD best of - not the sprawling 3CD ones.

No better praise for a songwriter than that.

Ben

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: July 25, 2016, 11:49:13 AM »
Paul,
All been said by the other, my problem for being so time poor/useless. Anyway classic with twists, particularly like the second half of the verse and how they resolve, classic songsmithing.
Not sure it should be developed just need to get it to the write publisher for modern standards, I'm sure there a market out there.
Good luck
Neil 
songwriter of no repute..

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: July 26, 2016, 05:56:09 PM »
Many thanks to all who commented!

@delb0y

"Paulski: The Musical" haha - be careful what you wish for :) Cheers for the kind remarks Derek!

@refusedrevival

Thanks!

@Day2Take1

Thanks for that - yeah I'd love to hear a woman sing this too - maybe Adelle might generate a few royalties :)

@CaliaMoko

Hi Vicki - thanks for the kind words. Why are you always right when it comes to lyrics? I was trying to stay in the present tense there but don't know why I bothered :) Makes more sense the way you wrote it..

@pompeyjazz

Cheers John - very kind of you.

@digger72

Thanks digger-  yeah agree it's a hard competition to score. So many lovely apples and oranges, and a few peaches thrown in for good measure :)

@Doodles

Hey Ben - so nice of you to compare me to the great BB! Humbling! Glad it worked for you.

@Neil C

Hi Neil and thanks for the nice comments. Lyrics came first in this one so I didn't have much choice in the verse - I had to make it resolve :)

Thanks again everyone from the cold country (well it's 31C today in Ottawa so I can't complain)
Paul

AdamHarkus

• Open Mic
    • The Blogging Musician
« Reply #22 on: July 26, 2016, 08:44:27 PM »
Hi Paul

This is absolutely brilliant !

As a 'Bare Bones' contest entry, I think you've just about came up with the perfect song. I love your vocals, strong and confident but also vulnerable in parts. The simple piano arrangement verges on the over dramatic at times but for me it simply adds interest and zing to the whole thing.

A few people may class this stuff as over-the top and cheesy, but I for one love your style and expressiveness. It deserves to do really well in the competition so good luck to you :)

Regards

Adam

The Blogging Musician @ https://adamharkus.com

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 09:57:00 AM »
Impeccable.

Clear, clean and authoritative both in the playing and singing.

Top drawer lyrics, as you always manage to produce...

The only tiny thing I could find to nit-pick was that it was too fluid for me...the chord changes were lovely but made me feel like I didn't know the song too well when it had finished...if it was less well conceived and less accomplished - I'd have been better able to get a handle on it.

That's my failing rather than yours :)

Lovely stuff.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: July 30, 2016, 02:51:38 AM »
Adam H

Thanks so much Adam - glad it wasn't too cheezy for you - try to walk a thin line there. Nice to have you around the forum!

PaulAds

Thanks Paul Yeah a bit contrived I agree - guilty as charged :) Appreciate the kind remarks esp on the lyrics :)

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2016, 11:55:00 AM »
All class here! Your trademark vocals (fab as I come to expect) and some interesting progression that really cries out: this guy knows what he is doing, he has moved on beyond the three-chords-and-keep-the bass-at-the-root-note songs. Not much to add really that has not been said already, only praise from my side. On tought, maybe a more "luxurious" piano sound would be in order? Something that sounds really "expensive" if that makes any sense?

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2016, 08:25:45 PM »
West End musical stuff. Good stuff. Quite unexpected chord changes in places but perfectly correct. Very clear, confident performance and no volume problems here.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2016, 09:32:18 PM »
Hi Paul, loved the chords and the structure, with some very understated but melodic piano accompaniment. Your trade mark smooth vocals too. A great song of its type.
Nice one!
Cheers
Jamie

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2016, 07:54:36 PM »
this is a hard thing to do and you've carried it of so easily....damn!!!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2016, 05:10:56 PM »
Thanks everyone for the comments

@Jambrains

Cheers Johan - positive comments on the vocal mean a lot coming from you - so much character in your vocals :). I'm using easykeys for the piano. Maybe I can get the missus to agree on buying a real grand - Yamaha makes a nice one :)

@ShinyThang

Thanks for that - I think SC must adjust the volume because it's gawd-awful loud on my system. Glad my chord prog passed the jazz test :)

@Jamie

Thanks Jamie - always great to get a thumbs up from you, kind sir!

@shadowfax

Haha Kevin - not that hard - just need to patch out all the bum notes :) Thanks for commenting!