konalavadome

Archaeology - bares bones comp entry

• 27 Replies

delb0y

• Platinum Album
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2016, 07:06:24 PM »
Foot-tapping stuff. Slide guitar puts it straight to the top of my personal hit parade. Love the feel and the lyrics. Vocals are great. Lead guitar tone and playing just wonderful. Extremely listenable and very enjoyable.
West Country Country Boy

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #16 on: August 01, 2016, 06:07:12 PM »
This is great Neil, just a wonderful song to happily bounce along to. I do love a bit of country-blues rocking guitar and you nail it. The whole arrangement clearly has a lot of thought in it and it just carries the listener all the way through to the finish line. I was so used to the tracked harmonies that I jumped a bit when you came in solo at the middle 8, but it was still great, just a total shock to my nervous system. Then you soothed it back down with some of that great slide guitar...

Well done and good luck in the comp!

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2016, 09:12:23 PM »
This is a good entry. Good write well played and sung in your own style.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2016, 12:23:54 AM »
The subject is so captivating and the lyrics are so well written in this, Neil :)
a very clever interpretation of 'bare bones'  :o
the style you've chosen write this in, is perfect and it has your stamp of perfection on it, production wise  ;) Fantastic guitar as always  :o Great entry Neil  :) :)

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2016, 10:30:29 AM »
Paulski, pleased I pulled Archaeology out of the bag and made it sing, its such a great word, the hardest bit was working out how to spell it correctly..

Tom, thanks for the comments about the harmonies, i realised once i'd recorded it it was really not in the right key, either too low or to high on its own so doubling up was the answer

Movin, yes i get the Squeeze and Beautiful South references, thanks

Digger, well I guess that explains your moniker and that you're not an Aussie ;D, i live about 10 miles north of Winchester

Oldbutyet, thanks for the suggestion, i can understand the point but there's quiet of lot to fit and and I needed to get in with the story and you have a bit of harp there..

nooms, thanks of the great feedback on the track

delboy, foot tapping is all i could ask for

MartynRich, thanks for the feedback someone else bouncing, the bridge felt like it needed to be personal.

ShinyThank, cheers for listening.

CS, delighted you like the subject, lyrics and stuff

:)
neil

songwriter of no repute..

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2016, 09:16:34 PM »
Hi Neil,

I had a good time down there - a bit too good at times ;D
I lived in a village called Ropley - I think it was out near Alresford.
Not sure many folk understood a word I said most of the time as I'm a bit broad Derbyshire.
I went to visit Katja in Germany a year or two back and it was only when I got home that she told me she'd barely understood anything I'd said.

Digger

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2016, 09:26:55 PM »
Hi Neil, great slide guitar intro, your usual great guitar stuff. Loved the unison vocals work well. I wasn't too sold on the mid 8 it sort of fell into it and the melody didn't grab me. Good song though Neil. One of your best vocal performances.
Cheers
Jamie

igg

• Solo Gig
« Reply #22 on: August 05, 2016, 05:56:49 PM »
Neil,

It's a perfect groove to start digging....shovel after shovel of great lyrics...to a great core that really reveals the message....Outstanding discovery of great harmonies and a rocking tune....Yeah!

igg

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2016, 08:02:14 PM »
Great guitars as ever, clever lyrics and your signature vox. No matter what that vocals is distinctively you. A good groove but could use some more of that bass in the mix me thinks but apart from that mix sounds fine to me.
Great entry, really dread the moments when I'll have to make up my mind about how to vote...

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: August 11, 2016, 06:02:26 AM »
Digger, More disclosures broad Derbyshire.. I just over the fact that Britain alone, which is pretty small can have so many distinctive regional accents

Jamie, I enjoyed the slide too but I'm not saying multiple takes weren't involved somewhere.. and nice feedback on the vocals. Tried to go somewhere different on the middle 8....

Igg,  ;D

Jambrains, Pleased you liked the lyrics. Will have another listen re the bass in the mix
 :)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #25 on: August 11, 2016, 09:23:19 AM »
Nice, what a unique topic for a song. :) Very bluesy. I was waiting for the instrumental break, and when it came it was great! Perhaps a little more variation in the backing throughout the song would have helped to keep the focus.

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #26 on: August 12, 2016, 12:35:01 AM »
Oh, yeah, one of my favorites. This would be a fun one to do! Songs like this appeal to me a lot more than those ubiquitous love/love lost songs. Such songs as those that I find in these forums, though, are--of course--a cut above the rest. I hasten to add. ;)

I have no nits for this one. I like it all just the way it is. Maybe some day, when I get caught up with all the songs I want to learn, I can start a new list and put this one at the top.

Good luck in the competition!

Vicki

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #27 on: August 12, 2016, 03:01:53 PM »
Hi Neil,

Completely agree with nooms - he's exactly right. Lovely song. Has to be a top contender.

M