Fall of the West - Dark Side of the Tune entry

• 25 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2017, 03:12:46 PM »

Really cool tune, Micky  8)

Stands up really well on its own...and I agree with Pauly that it could perhaps be revisited and made into a cracking song.

Great title too...it’s coming...the United States in particular...I just wonder if we’ll go down with their ship...

Hi Micky, enjoyed the tasty analogue synth sounds. It made me think of very early Depeche Mode. Some infectious melodies and its got a solid, bleak industrial feel. Personally I think it's a shame to leave it as an instrumental though as it is strong and could really back up some lyrics well... maybe you could return to it later for version 2 with some words?

Hi guys, thanks for the supplemental comments. Theres a couple of reasons ive not included lyrics. , and Diademgrove picked up on this.
I would prefer the story to unfold in the listeners imagination. The title sets the scene, the rest plays out how you interpret it.
The second reason i havent included lyrics is because i would prefer not to speculate (at least in a song) on the details of the erosion of civilization, because im not well read enough. My opinion (for what it is worth) is that 2008 (and the banking crisis) was a watershed year for the Western Elite Liberal agenda, and everything that has played out since, is some kind of reaction to that. Whilst i dont necessarily believe we have reached the apex of the Western way, i do believe we are at a very dangerous crossroads, and if we dont fix inequality, then its going to get way worse before it gets better.

What a refreshing way of looking at it!

If i don’t know enough about a subject, I just make some shit up  :D

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2017, 03:34:16 PM »
Fall of the west

Quite a retro sounding instrumental.  Reminds me of one or two of the local bands that were playing the local scene in the early 1980's.  I wonder where you would take this should you decide to add lyrics.  Lots of energy here. This would make for a great live performance.

Paul

moraamarolaloba

• Stadium Tour
    • Mora Amaro La Loba
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2017, 05:31:15 PM »
Hey everyone. This tune is called The Fall of the West/Slow Apocalpse. I was working on this anyway and then when I heard about this competition I accelerated the production! Here it is!

its an instrumental hence no lyrics.

https://soundcloud.com/mickyplankton/the-fall-of-the-west

Hi! Your track has this "colour" of the sound of progressive music of 60's and this kind of true sound
and rhythm catches always my feet.
When guitar appears, with its bright sound, it is very well received.
Hasta pronto. Mora
I did not know that to live we had to die so many times
My Youtube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAaK7mFK7fUpf1E99I1Qtow

Silver Machine

• Open Mic
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2017, 09:32:49 PM »
Hey when I was younger I used to play a video game called Duke Nukem - Planet  of the Babes.
Man, I loved that game.
Dude this sounds like a long awaited sequel, Duke Nukem - Fall of the West.
It's that analogue synth. Cool sounds.
I gotta dig that game out.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 07:42:30 PM »
Sounds very good and professional. I'm not good at this kind of production and, in fact, doubt I could do anything like this, so I can't judge it in any way. It would sound at home in a suspense movie, I think.

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 06:22:28 PM »
That little melodic phrase which you bring in right after that great bass and beat intro is as catchy as hell...so simple but so effective. Really makes the tune work (great to have it again at 50secs or so) and my interest is riveted waiting for it to reappear which it does again at 2.08 after you've teased around it right through the middle section...brings the tune to an end in style.

Bass and guitar great.

Really enjoyed it...in a very dark sort of way of course!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #21 on: October 30, 2017, 07:47:29 PM »
Quite a retro sound here with the anologue synth and monophonic lead line.

It certainly has a dark feel to it to me with elements of chaos at times.

Personally I would like to hear it tightened up a bit timing wise, I'm guessing a quick bit of quantising would probably sort that out.

Reading around the subject of the banking crisis and state of affairs today can be quite depressing, especially when you start to realise the scandalous way the banks have acted, and got away with it.

I'm going to stop before I get started.

Yodasdad

Cazrolina

• Open Mic
    • AlphaLine Website:
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 11:08:52 PM »
I was imagining a cool retro, manga computerised version of ewan mcgregor running, like the opening scene from trainspotting 1, with the absurdities of the west moving by/falling around him whilst he's running on the spot forever. Go figure! (I've gotta lay off the white wine at this time of night!!)
Computers, Kraftwerk, teensy bit of the cure, stranglers. yep, all there. And yes, works brill as is, but would have another totally different edge again with a few vocals. Very cool stuff either way, man. cx 
Caz

Vocalist
AlphaLine

4 piece band from Surrey/Berkshire, UK, with sounds drawing in trip-hop, jazz, funk, ambient electronica and alternative psychedelic rock.

Check out our Instagram: www.instagram.com/alphalineband

Debut EP ‘Polarity’ out now.
Listen here: https://www.alphalineband.com/press-1/polarity-out-now

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 06:01:20 PM »
Interesting idea to post an instrumental to competition. But hey, why not? Worked out pretty well in my opinion, though I am really not an expert on this genre. Good listen anyway.

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2017, 01:07:21 PM »
Hi

This would work really well with a suitable video backdrop.
Nice 80s feel. Could be used in Stranger Things season 3!
Got a sinister edge to it.

Cool stuff.

Digger

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 05:15:34 PM »
Mid tempo and eerily catchy with synth/guitar interplay.
Doesn't outstay its welcome
 :)
neil
songwriter of no repute..