Wolvesonfire

• Busker
« on: May 23, 2013, 05:42:30 AM »
« Last Edit: May 23, 2013, 05:52:31 PM by Wolvesonfire »

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2013, 12:03:59 PM »
Nice song, lovely guitar sound, nice chords & rhythm too.  I thought the vocals were a bit too far down the mix though and I couldn't make out the lyrics very well.  Posting lyrics here would be a help for this one.
GTB
GTB

cena69

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2013, 02:51:21 PM »
i agree with GTB
epic :D

Wolvesonfire

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2013, 06:25:53 AM »
thx for listening, i know the mix is off.. im pretty bad at mixing a song, anyways. heres the lyrics:

every single slut that claws her way into a bed
god damn, i am just like them
every time you trust someone, that takes more than he says
did i really not mean to fuck you over?

it's this life.
don't bother and wait, i won't ever really come around
and you were right.
you're miles ahead. with your legs spread
coast to coast

i spent 'last summer' in a foreign land.
you said it, but did you mean it?
and you came around just when i had almost given in
i never will again

how was life like before we met?
i never thought i could forget...

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2013, 12:55:08 AM »
Hi Wolvesonfire...nice intro...I like the bouncy feel to this song and the backing track is awesome..that popping bass really moves it along...interesting lyrics ::)...please make the vocals louder...I'd like to listen to it again once you've done that...it's a little on the short side so I think a ripping guitar solo somewhere in there would be awesome...it's cuts off a little abruptly...but good song :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2013, 05:01:45 AM by crystalsuzy »

Wolvesonfire

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2013, 05:35:55 AM »
thanks for the input :) yeah, its about halfway done.. ill keep that in mind, and try to bring the vocals up a little.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2013, 09:35:18 AM »
Good intro and good chords. Sounds promising. Yep vocals, which I think sound good, need to be much higher in the mix. Enjoying the ending!!!
:)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Wolvesonfire

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2013, 03:14:11 AM »
thanks neil :^)

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2013, 07:39:42 AM »
Looking forward to hearing this when I get home. Specially because so many brilliant songwriters on this forum have good things to say about it. This dongle is way too expensive to stream music. In the meantime, just a 'heads up' http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/guidelines-for-posting-a-song-review-please-read-before-posting/   ;)
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2013, 08:52:10 AM »
+1 on shinythangs link.

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 04:45:47 AM »
Okay so, I'm home and I've listened to it.

Love the music. Very energetic, great bass (is that your main instrument?) Nicely put together with lots of interest. The drums are well played/programmed and really make that transition work at 0:48 It's a WIP and as such it has great potential. Love the synth pad under the verse vocal, that's a really nice touch. I think that this track demonstrates that you are a very talented musician, composer and arranger.

I really can't believe you are serious about that lyric though. If you are ... it's not for me at all.

Welcome to the forum, read the rules. Good luck.
They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Wolvesonfire

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2013, 05:50:48 AM »
wow, thanks so much for the detailed response.. no bass isnt my main instrument, but i used to play it a lot. i consider guitar to be my 'main' instrument, although i really think the bass line is one of the most important things in a song.. wait though, serious about what lyric? im sorry, i started writing this song in a bad place but i believe i can still stand behind anything i said..

Wolvesonfire

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2013, 06:32:36 AM »
oh and sorry for not reading the rules.. im kinda new to the forum-y thing.. i come in peace!

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2013, 06:57:03 AM »
Hi Josh and welcome to the forum.

As a write this sounds pretty solid musically. Deffinately got s good vibe going with it and the melody sounds good but as for the production you have a lot of issues to deal with here. My suggestions are as follows:

Pull the guitar down and see if you can get a softer sound on it. There is a harshness and brittleness about it that isn't flattering for it. The play sounds pretty good though.

Bring the vox up, it is totally hidden in the mix. It sounds like have a pretty good voice so don't be shy, let us hear it ;)

I detect some clipping. When you record and indeed mix make sure nothing clips, ever, period. No matter where it clips in the chain it will create unwanted and unpleasant distortions. Not the pleasant sort of distortions you get with valves in amps just a nasty sound. I could hear it in a number of places and it sounded like it was connected with the bass too at times. Could be the bass itself or just the total sound level of the combined track when the bass was playing.

I know that mixing is a hard thing to come to terms with when you first start out, there is simply so much to learn and it can take years before it really starts to come together. EQ can be a great friend when solving issues and avoiding clipping. When you record something, even a vocal or a high frequency instrument, you will also be recording stray frequencies right across the spectrum. You don't want these as they are simply chewing up headroom in the mix and not allowing you to push the wanted frequencies of other instruments up to be heard. So eliminate the unrequired frequencies. Usually a shelf will do that for you. eg: With vocals drop in a low shelf to taje away all the sub vocal freq completely. This then helps to create a hole for the bass to come through without any competition. That's just an example as you can, and should, try things like this for all individual tracks.

Hopeing this helps and gets you started in the never ending struggle to get a nice clean mix where everything is heard.

As I said, this sounds like a real good song and the musicianship sounded good but just hard to hear with the mix.

Cant wait to hear some more.

Wolvesonfire

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2013, 07:26:58 AM »
thanks so much for taking the time to listen to my song, i really appreciate it.

i know.. mixing is gonna be an issue for me now that im trying to record my own songs.. i have limited gear (and knowledge) really makes you appreciate what those guys do in the studio :/

i will definitely try to keep all the good advice in mind when i re-record this number.. im afraid its become a little too messy in garage band to just sort out. i dunno how i let such a simple song get so many tracks.. anyways, still learning. and really appreciating the feedback, especially from what seems like some really solid song writers.