MusicXray

• 8 Replies

marndin

• Busker
« on: May 31, 2014, 05:03:59 PM »
Hi All

Has anyone here used MusicXray? http://www.musicxray.com/

If so what are your conclusions and why?

The reason that I'm interested is it's almost impossible to pitch songs directly now, and their business model seems to make sense.

Thanks for any answers

Martin
"The universe is not only stranger than we think... It's stranger than we CAN think" Albert Einstein.

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2014, 11:08:30 PM »
To me it just looks like bullcrap. Yet another company looking to 'help the artist' yet since they're charging the artists upfront for submissions making dead cert that whatever happens MusicXray gets paid.

And this idea that someone can send in a song and it'll get played to industry decision makers. Hell, just in my small circle I have artists, writers and producers who have been Radio 1 playlisted, have songs right now synced on TV, have played at the biggest festivals, have six figure YouTube stats for their songs - and they don't have the ear of industry decision makers.

Unless I'm missing something this is just another example of a music-tech company that thinks they've found a niche that will see them acquired by Apple, Facebook or Google in a few years time. Should that unlikely event occur then their Exec will earn millions/billions - the artist nothing. Napster, Pandora, blah blah

Why would influential people in the music business use this new service, when there are already so many channels where they can hear unsigned music? Just off the top of my head YouTube, Reverbnation, MySpace, soundcloud, band camp, taxi, etc, etc. etc.

I sometimes wonder whether labels are looking for quality songs any more. I heard the new single from an up and coming artist. It was really poor and made me wonder why a major label would release such a poor song for a new artist they're trying to break. It's only when I realised who the writers of the song were (very experienced and current hit writers) that I realised just what had happened; even a poor song from great writers was more interesting to them that a great song from an unknown.

Sorry for the rant.

Mark James

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2014, 08:35:53 PM »
We've used Music Xray before and stopped using it above 12 months ago because most of our applications got placed on hold (some still remain on hold after 12 months) and others mark you as being successful and then ask for a further fee. For example an industry consultant accepted our submission which cost us £10 and then wanted £450 for a 45 minute telephone consultation, a producer accepted our submission then advised us it would cost £1500 for him to produce our track. Needless to say we did not bother.

Best wishes

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 10:00:16 AM »
Thanks Mark, as I thought - yet another music site claiming to help musicians while effectively scamming money off them :-[

I wonder how long it will be before some 'genius' comes up with a web-based music 'Ponzi' scheme?

marndin

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2014, 06:28:52 AM »
if you have a good song, (I know we all think that we have), how do you get it heard by industry professionals these days as they won't accept unsolicited material?

Martin
"The universe is not only stranger than we think... It's stranger than we CAN think" Albert Einstein.

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2014, 11:39:09 AM »
That's a hard one Martin as there's no easy answer.

My experience tells me that it's extremely tough - since there are a hell of a lot of good songs out there. The problem writers get is finding ways of getting their songs heard/considered above all others - and that comes down to connections. The reality is that this business is as much (or more) about the people you know and can network with, than the songs you have available.

Building a network is incredibly difficult since it normally requires building a strong portfolio of songs that have had some success (maybe synced on adverts, TV, online. Recorded by known artists etc.) so is something that usually takes years - unless you're lucky or have very strong connections in place.

I can even think of brilliant songs that have only broken through due to some random piece of luck (or a connection of a connection) and would otherwise have remained a brilliant but 'unknown' track.. The whole process is completely 'chicken and egg'  you need connections in order to advance, but you can't advance without connections!

Two pieces of immediate advice, post your songs here so people can give you their opinion (although remember it's only an opinion, there's no wrong or right) and secondly you could consider the Nashville Songwriters Assoc. IMO they're one of the better music associations out there and though they charge (around $100 per year) they do have a credible name and for that will accept 10 submissions per year for review/appraisal. Though they are country-biased (obviously) and therefore completely obsessed with lyrics, their advice and recommendation are pretty good.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2014, 11:40:54 AM by Onelabel »

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2014, 12:28:30 PM »

I completely agree with everything ONELABEL has said

I would add this though as some food for thought...

I can even think of brilliant songs that have only broken through due to some random piece of luck

I read somewhere (I wish I could remember the full quote) something along the lines of:

In this industry "luck" is being FULLY PREPARED for any opportunities

eg. do you always have a CD (with contact details written on it), a card with links to your soundcloud, etc. etc. on you at all times

When you bump in to Simon Cowell at a service station, Pharrell in Starbucks, a record exec in McDonald's etc. etc. are you prepared to take the opportunity?

Can you increase the likelihood of these opportunities occurring? - do you know where publisher's hang out, would you recognise your dream music industry contact (which is not always the artist), do you know where these guys hang out etc. etc.

If you REALLY wanted it, and felt you have the material strong enough, you need to be doing all of this and more - most stories from successful songwriters have similar themes about upping roots and moving to Nashville, New York etc. to "pound the streets" ad build up that all important network

If you are not prepared to do this then TAXI is probably your best alternative to get your songs heard by the industry (not necessarily "picked up" but I think you would get some valuable feedback)

This will end up being expensive, but cheaper than moving cities!

A cheaper (free!) alternative is to post your songs here asking for specific feedback - eg is this song "current" enough, is it "commercial" enough, is it suitable to pitch to ####### (insert artist/band name of your choice)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2014, 01:33:48 PM »
Agree with nearly everything said already.

We've reached a point in modern society where everything is very accessible.

Only problem is that it's left a sense of everything being just a click away.

It's not and you've got to approach it as a second job (if you already have one).

I've submitted to everyone and his dog and emailed/posted to said fella and his canine.

I want success and I'm prepared to put the work and hours in.

It works because now I have publishing/record company/supervisor/A&R contacts.

Don't treat it like a hobby if you're serious. It won't work like that.

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2014, 02:26:11 PM »
Yup - I agree completely with both of you too.

A hell of a lot of hard work is required to make the most of any opportunity that might come your way.