konalavadome

Help me get started??

• 5 Replies

Goldrush

• Busker
« on: March 09, 2014, 07:32:37 PM »
Hi folks

I need some help and advice (possibly a kick up the a**e) to get started with song writing.

I have been writing for ages now.  Years.  I put my hand in the pocket of a jacket I haven't worn in months and pull out pages of scribbles, notes, lyrics, ideas.  At work I find more notes, rhymes at the back of a desk drawer, or in the last pages of a file block.  I have books stuffed with words.  I write every day.  I really want to write songs  - that is the point of all this writing.

BUT ... it's like I have some sort of block that is preventing me actually getting pen to paper and writing and completing a song.  Plenty of half songs.  But I can't seem to even get off and running and I don't know why not.

I am not expecting to sit down and write 'Let It Be' on my first time.  I do not expect every song to be good.  Far from it.  I know that the early ones will be rubbish, but I will improve over time. 

I think part of the problem is that I'm not happy enough with any of my ideas for songs.  I don't feel they 'develop' enough within a song, if you know what I mean.  They're kind of 'one note' ideas and I don't think they're interesting enough to be songs. 

Also a lot of ideas are based on me personally and while I might start thinking an idea is good, if i delay I start to change my mind, and soon I'll be telling myself that it's not a good idea for a song.

I don't know if I need to take myself out of the equation and write about less personal things, I'm not sure.  But I know that if I can get started and get into the habit, I think I can, in time, produce something really good.

So that's my problem!  Has anyone experienced anything similar and have you any advice for me?

Thank you!

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 07:53:24 PM »
A lot depends on WHY you want to write and what your goals/aspirations are?

If you want to write songs that sound like other well known songs there are certainly a few rules and guidelines you could follow to get you on the right track

Rather than list them all I will give you just 2 to consider to get you started - I do appreciate there are no "rules" and "rules are made to be broken" BUT for the sake of clarity I will list these 2 "tips" as recommendations:

1 - Start with your title

Your title should sum up the whole concept of the song

Your song should be about a "universal theme" to stand the best chance of connecting with listeners - ie about something most people can relate to: love, hate, loss etc.

...But be specific - if you choose "love" is it falling in love, out of love, break up, make up etc. etc.?

Once you chose your concept STICK TO IT - you mention you have "one note ideas", this may be perfect

2 - write your 2nd verse first!

This is a good tip to keep your writing focused and to create believable situations that the listener stands a chance of caring about

Many people starting out with songwriting begin their songs with the "action" eg a break up

However, the listener doesn't care about 2 people breaking up - why would they?

If you make this the SECOND verse you can write the FIRST verse to set this up - ie describe the relationship and introduce the characters, the break up will then have much more impact

There are a million more "rules" but I hope these will give you the kick to form your ideas into songs
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 09:33:09 PM »
Hey Goldrush

First up, welcome to the forum. :)

Good advice there from Boydie. I'd like to chip in from a different angle though.

I'd say, regardless of what your motivation for writing songs is, the only way you're going to learn to finish your songs is pure old fashioned discipline.

You must have heard the expression "10% inspiration 90% perspiration"? Well, it might be overstated in my opinion, but there's a truth worth learning in there.

If I was in your shoes, I would task myself with finishing a song in one evening. Take any half-finished lyric and don't allow yourself to get up until you have a whole song.

Rinse and repeat for 14 days minimum. This next bit is important. PAY NO ATTENTION TO HOW GOOD THEY ARE. If you have to write the worst song you've ever heard to get to the end, just do it. Don't let the pen leave the paper till it's done.

Why will this help? Because you've inadvertently taught yourself to only write half-songs. Now you need to teach yourself how to write whole songs. Once you get over the novelty of finishing these songs, you'll be able to work on how good they are.

There'll be lines that you write when you're forcing yourself to create that have a raw honesty you don't often encounter. These lines may end up becoming new songs, or transforming the original ideas once you move onto the editing stage.

I hope that helps :)
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

Winter1982

• Open Mic
    • Winter1982
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 09:37:26 AM »
You've had two great bits of advice already, really worth following up!

I teach art in a college and find lots of students who start lots of work off but can't finish anything. What it is, is fear of failure, or more accurately fear of mediocrity (in their mind, though others will see more in their work than they do). You are avoiding finishing a song because when it's half done it could still become the greatest song ever. Once finished it certainly won't be. It'll be ok. Fine. But not great. But that's what you need to get over. This is one long process. The first song you finish might be aweful. The next one might be pretty poor. After that, poor, or even aweful again (to you). But after that, an average one. Then maybe a good one. After song 10 maybe you'll be onto something, a style, a feeling. At song 20 you might be writing a good song. Like the students making art, you need to see it as one long process, not see the pressure for each thing to be perfect, complete and the embodiment of everything you're going to achieve. You almost need to get those first 20 songs out the way without thinking or worrying about them at all, just like the others have suggested.

As has been suggested, set a time limit. Make a song. Simple pattern ; intro , verse, chorus, verse, chorus, bridge, chorus, end (or whatever). Make it. Play it a few times, put it to bed, start writing the next one and repeat.  Just make em and dispose of em. No pressure. And then use a forum like this to road test one that you don't hate. You'll likely be the worst judge of your own work and that's why these forums can be so useful.

Good luck! Less thinking, more making!
winter1982.bandcamp.com

Sunfighter

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 04:50:37 PM »

1 - Start with your title

Your title should sum up the whole concept of the song

I'm glad it's not just me that does this!

It was interesting hearing the OP write about personal songs.  I wrote songs that weren't about myself originally, but all my favourite lyrics were when I started writing very personal songs.

I find it helps to write about me.  I wish I could write songs about a "subject" but I can't.  For me, a problem with writing about personal stuff is that, if I haven't got anything that's making me feel impassioned at the time, there's nothing I can write about.

I'd say write about whatever you feel passionate/inspired by.  Personally I hope I can "graduate" from just personal lyrics to other topics.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 07:33:30 AM »
I'm going to go a little different direction than most of the others.   

For example... "good old fashioned discipline" is great.  But telling you to develop it doesn't get you anywhere.  The trick is telling you HOW to develop it. 

And, from what you've already said, there is a "fear factor" at work.  Again.... telling you "don't be afraid" doesn't really help.  It's good advice, but you already knew it. 

So, first step is to ask yourself what it is you're afraid will happen?  What fear is it that prevents you from finishing your songs.  Don't answer quickly.  The quick, easy answers are never the fears that control us.  Think, question, dig for answers, and be persistent. 

Here is a hint.  The vast majority of the fears that cripple us and prevent us from reaching our goals are of one basic type.  They are a "fear of insignificance."   Only YOU can know just how finishing a song would make you feel "insignificant" or "inadequately significant."  And you won't find the answer quickly or easily. 

If/when you do figure it out, feel free to contact me by p.m. and talk about step two.  There is no point to even discussing step two until you have figured out what fear is behind your inability to commit to your goal. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.