The Drums OF War - Cove/Oldbutyet

• 11 Replies

Oldbutyet

« on: August 01, 2016, 03:29:24 AM »
Hi All

Song by me and Toney with Stu on lead guitar.

Feedback always welcome good or bad, thank you.

https://soundcloud.com/user-955135668/the-drums-of-war-1

The Drums Of War

A long train of hate is rolling
Down the rails of ignorant fear
Intolerance is the conductor
Propaganda is the engineer
And the track is one big circle
You think it's gone then it reappears

In the mist that lies upon their land
Once again we hear the drums of war
How many times must we take a stand
Before we never hear them no more
How many times must we ask ourselves
What the hell are we're fighting for

Once again we're call upon
Once again evil has return
Many bombs will be drop
Many cities will burn
Many innocent lives will be kill
Before the madness is won

Before we never hear them anymore

Hey a long train of hate is rolling
Down the rails of ignorant fear
Intolerance is the conductor
Propaganda is the engineer
And the track is one big circle
You think it's gone then it reappears

Before we never hear them anymore

© copyright house all rights reserved

« Last Edit: August 01, 2016, 01:25:34 PM by Oldbutyet »

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2016, 12:38:59 PM »
Oh man I like this.

Your growly,indistinct vocals in Tom Waits style suit the topic perfectly. I love singers who are content to be themselves.

The guitar is great too,both in tone and playing,very Jeff Beck influenced,but it's a little forward in the mix and although the guitarist plays with regard to the vocals,there are times when the two are in conflict. Not so much from what he's playing,just because he sits too proud in the mix.

Much enjoyed Pat.  :)

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2016, 09:14:29 PM »
Great song, don't know why its only got one review...I thought at the beginning it was going to go all Gary Moore, then you hit us with a great little country vibe. I absolutely love your voice as well...huge character to it that brings a fab vibe to the whole thing. I also love the lyrics...looks like I love everything! The lead playing is superb, very free and fluid...in fact, he's almost showing off  ;D. Nice little keyboard filling it out as well...great all round!

To be honest my heart nearly sank when I saw it 5:32...but the time flew by and it was thoroughly enjoyable to listen to.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2016, 10:14:30 PM »
Oh man I like this.

Your growly,indistinct vocals in Tom Waits style suit the topic perfectly. I love singers who are content to be themselves.

The guitar is great too,both in tone and playing,very Jeff Beck influenced,but it's a little forward in the mix and although the guitarist plays with regard to the vocals,there are times when the two are in conflict. Not so much from what he's playing,just because he sits too proud in the mix.

Much enjoyed Pat.  :)

Thanks Skub

This is a song me and Toney (Cove) been working on for a while, always wanted to write and record a song with Toney and his unique vocal style and then Stu came on board with his fabulous guitar style which really took the song to another level.

Dont really know to much about the production side of things but hey Man, we're really glad you like it, cheers  8)

Great song, don't know why its only got one review...I thought at the beginning it was going to go all Gary Moore, then you hit us with a great little country vibe. I absolutely love your voice as well...huge character to it that brings a fab vibe to the whole thing. I also love the lyrics...looks like I love everything! The lead playing is superb, very free and fluid...in fact, he's almost showing off  ;D. Nice little keyboard filling it out as well...great all round!

To be honest my heart nearly sank when I saw it 5:32...but the time flew by and it was thoroughly enjoyable to listen to.

Thanks Martyn

Yeah i think he was showing off  ;D  me and Toney is going to start working on a follow up to this hopefully in the next few weeks, that if the lyrics of this one dont come true, if they do see yous two on the front line  ;D  guitars and amps on full blast  8)

Peace

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2016, 10:29:01 AM »
Hi,
Lovely fluid and melodic lead playing, which as others have mentioned should be a balanced in the mix compared to the rest of the backing.

And then i was reading the credits and thought is that Pat? and then that unmistakable vocals came in. Great to have you back Pat :) :)

I love the whole lyrics of first verse.
Nice easy backing supporting you telling the story.
Good to hear you have some more stuff on its way too.
Nice one
 :)
Neil

songwriter of no repute..

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2016, 08:27:18 PM »
Stunning.   The lyric is incredible.  Deep, thoughtful, and painfully true. 

And the vocal perfectly captures the song. 

And, tell Stu that his guitar work is coming very close to making him my "guitar hero." 

Absolutely beautiful. 

I wrote a lyric a long time ago called "Winds of War" that I'm now inspired to put on here. 

Yet another great thing about this forum.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Oldbutyet

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2016, 11:43:24 PM »
Hi,
Lovely fluid and melodic lead playing, which as others have mentioned should be a balanced in the mix compared to the rest of the backing.

And then i was reading the credits and thought is that Pat? and then that unmistakable vocals came in. Great to have you back Pat :) :)

I love the whole lyrics of first verse.
Nice easy backing supporting you telling the story.
Good to hear you have some more stuff on its way too.
Nice one
 :)
Neil

Thanks Neil good to be back, went missing for a while other things on my mind.

I think you and benjo and myself was the first collaboration i done on this wonderful forum, good to talk to Man.

Yeah me Toney and Stu just went with the flow as they say but as you well know, im not much good on all this balanced in the mix talk  ;D

Thanks Mate.

Stunning.   The lyric is incredible.  Deep, thoughtful, and painfully true. 

And the vocal perfectly captures the song. 

And, tell Stu that his guitar work is coming very close to making him my "guitar hero." 

Absolutely beautiful. 

I wrote a lyric a long time ago called "Winds of War" that I'm now inspired to put on here. 

Yet another great thing about this forum.

Hey Verlon

"Painfully true" lyrics out there Man and i dont think i need to tell Stu.

Talk soon Mate and Thanks.

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 05:03:53 AM »
Always a timely topic.....it's the nature of the beast to fight.  The intro is overly long for my sensibilities, more like a mid-song solo than setting the stage for the lyric.  And there's really too much guitar throughout the entire piece......some subtle chord voicings would have been more effective and stayed out of the way of the lyric much better.  Good playing, just too much of it.

Over the centuries, taking stands over various issues is the very reason there is war.  These lines strike me as a contradiction.  Otherwise it captures the thought pretty well.

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 07:45:26 PM »
Starts of with that great guitar, but wasn't expecting to develop so well.

That voice is unique and amazing.

Poignant lyrics, Dylan would be proud of this!

Great....lost for superlatives.

Sandeep

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »
you dont hear many male duets so I liked this & you both sound fine in full protest mode...
I kept thinking van morrison duetting with bob dylan tho you dont sound like either...
lovely backing track going on behind you & terrific lyrics pat
I didnt like that show off on guitar at all he was just saying scuse me fellas this is my song all the way thru!..id love to hear a version without  him
what are we fighting for ? i think we are fighting to get him off the song ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Oldbutyet

« Reply #10 on: August 05, 2016, 09:52:58 PM »
Always a timely topic.....it's the nature of the beast to fight.  The intro is overly long for my sensibilities, more like a mid-song solo than setting the stage for the lyric.  And there's really too much guitar throughout the entire piece......some subtle chord voicings would have been more effective and stayed out of the way of the lyric much better.  Good playing, just too much of it.

Over the centuries, taking stands over various issues is the very reason there is war.  These lines strike me as a contradiction.  Otherwise it captures the thought pretty well.

Yes Buc it's the nature of the beast to fight, the question is which side is the beast on and how many of them are been brainwash into doing the fighting and killing for all the wrong reasons, appreciate your thoughts on this Buc, Thanks.

Starts of with that great guitar, but wasn't expecting to develop so well.

That voice is unique and amazing.

Poignant lyrics, Dylan would be proud of this!

Great....lost for superlatives.

Sandeep

Thanks Sandeep

Really nice reading your words, means a lot to us Mate.

you dont hear many male duets so I liked this & you both sound fine in full protest mode...
I kept thinking van morrison duetting with bob dylan tho you dont sound like either...
lovely backing track going on behind you & terrific lyrics pat
I didnt like that show off on guitar at all he was just saying scuse me fellas this is my song all the way thru!..id love to hear a version without  him
what are we fighting for ? i think we are fighting to get him off the song ;D

Thanks Tina

Your last part made me laugh i nearly choked on my beer  ;D  ;D  i would pay to see you two up on stage, god help the poor man   ;D   ;D

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2016, 07:48:36 PM »
Hi Guys,

Well this is an interesting combo for sure.
I thought the guitar playing was very good - but it felt a little intrusive. Maybe the tone was a bit too clean/smooth - and it was a bit too flash for my taste. Alongside the vocals I think it needed a bit of a rougher edge - more earthy blues.
The vocals are something else. Soaked in... well, something unique.
Liked the subject matter and the lyrics.

Digger