1000 Miles

• 21 Replies

Wicked deeds

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2023, 11:38:39 AM »
@pompeyjazz. it's worth another listen, that's for sure.  Lovely mood and fantastic melody.  Great musicianship.  Definitely makes me think of 'Beauty School Drop Out' from the film Grease/. The backing vocals are brilliant.  Quality work!

Paul

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2023, 10:53:58 PM »
I actually played in a band in the late 70s with reverb turned up as much as this! As vocalist, if I didn’t switch the reverb pedal off when talking to the audience, I sounded a right prick. 😉 which was often!

This is a lovely and evocative recreation of a period, done with much loving care and attention. Like a musical Time Machine, wish we could be there. 👍 another genre ticked off with panache!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2023, 02:59:20 PM »
Yo pomps.
I caught this one a while back and greatly enjoyed it then too.

You do do that 50s thang sooo well John.   8)

subvibe

• Solo Gig
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2023, 10:59:22 AM »
Hi

Great Retro feel
the reverb is very typical for that era , the drums maybe to complex but work very well
a daring move to try this song & you must be very pleased with the results

Great Stuff

subvibe

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2023, 08:02:36 PM »
When I was a teenager in the 70s there was a working men’s club up the street from us. If I was in bed by 10 I’m sure I heard songs just like this, prob played by middle aged blokes with vox ac 30s and tremolo arms, reliving their youth in the 50s! Yep, so I can vouch for the fact that this is a very authentic sounding number, esp soaked in reverb as it is.

John your vocal is perfect for that time, with its soaring, part soulful, part gritty delivery. Bit like a prelude to Northern Soul, it’s a great club ballad for the masses. Really enjoyed it. Just don’t speak to the audience without switching off the reverb foot pedal. 😉
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2023, 08:28:44 AM »
@pompeyjazz - Just listening now, finding the LVox verb a tad heavy, superb song, lovely BV's, really dig the trem solo, very You

For the lead vocal you might consider a 15ips tape echo with a smallish plate at about 5%...hope you don't mind my suggestion...

I think also I's stick a tape emu on the master buss to give it some vintage vibe.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #21 on: January 11, 2023, 08:20:45 AM »
Thank you everyone for all of the fabulous feedback on this number. To be honest, I wasn't quite sure how this one would be received, being retro but I'm delighted with the feedback - All of your advice and comments are much appreciated - I'll remember not to talk with the reverb on too. Bingo is funny with a reverb drenched bingo caller :)