The perfect guitar

• 9 Replies

JW

• Busker
  • Mature, male songwriter, with publishing deal.
    • Songwriters And Producers
« on: March 09, 2012, 12:51:08 PM »
One of my songwriting team, has a 1979, Fender Silver Anniversary Stratocaster. The sound and action is awsome - and yet after owning it for 10 years, he's thinking of selling it. ( Crazy!!)

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 02:00:21 PM »
I don't think he's crazy. Late 70's Fenders are currently enjoying high prices despite the fact that they are generally not very good. The problem was that by then Fender had got very lax, and most of their cutting equipment was in varying states, resulting in dreadful quality control. It is true that there are good guitars from the era, but there was certainly no guarantee they would be any use - although I do admit it's possible that this one is. Even so, they weren't 'lookers' in that silver finish with the 'Silver anniversary' logo written in what looked like Letraset (remember that?) on the horn.

The 70's was the decade when people started scuttling for the old ones because of the state of the new ones and the cult of old Fenders was born. Nonetheless, three years later, the first JV Squiers came back from Japan where Fender had sent the plans to get some cheapies made - and they were loads better than the USA ones. Many at Fender were duly sacked. These first Squiers are worth about two grand now (with the big Fender logo) and are some of the best Fenders money can buy. American 'Guitarist' magazine recommended recently that if you couldn't afford a Strat made before 1965 then the next best thing was a JV Squier.

So my two-penneth worth is, that he'll probably get about 2-3 grand for selling it now and although they may well continue to rise in value - they may drop. In my personal opinion he can probably buy himself a much nicer guitar for the money he gets for that.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:03:57 PM by estreet »
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 04:29:23 PM »
that is really interesting Estreet - not least because I have Squier strat as you describe I fell in love with it in 1982 and traded in my old guitar (bit of a log) and my Marshal combo to buy it. It remains a creature of very great beauty and I love and cherrish it
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

Paul

• Platinum Album
  • "There are moments of magic, of beautiful peace!"
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 06:50:05 PM »
I had a beautiful sunburst American Fender Telecaster that I bought 'round about 1984.  I played it for the remaining years of that decade and then lost it in the early 90's when my first house was burgled shortly after I had moved in.  I was lucky to get the guitar back a week later when the police caught the burglars.  It was beginning to gather it's own history which, added to it's charm.  I sold the guitar in 2004, thinking I wouldn't play live music again.  My wife and i had started our family soon after and I thought my performing days were over. I've owned many guitars and Enjoy playing acoustic mostly.  Despite this, I couldn't imagine that it would be an electric that I would miss more than any guitar that I've played.  Selling my Telecaster has proven to be  a big regret for me.  Never mind there are many more out there.

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2012, 05:43:02 AM »
@bewarethisboy You have a JV squier (serial number starting with JV - Japanese Vintage) and 'Fender' in big letters, 'Squier' in small ones? Hang on to it for sure - I think they could possibly be worth 7-8000 in the next ten years. If the logos are the other way round (big 'Squier') the guitar is still exactly the same - it's just the others were only made like that for a few months so are more collectable. One of my guitar pupils has two of them he bought on my recommendation on e-bay about 4 years ago - the value has doubled since then. I have a wonderful butterscotch 1983 JV Tele that is almost worn out - I've done over 3000 gigs with it I worked out.

@Paul. I sympathise mate. I've sold some guitars in the past I should have kept too - sometimes because I miss them, some because they'd be worth a small fortune now. So now I never sell unless I'm %100 sure.  I have too many guitars now lol. Fenders were good in 84 - it is a shame you sold it. You were lucky to get it back after a burglary though.

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2012, 12:04:38 PM »
oh I see what you mean now Estreet - thanks for the clarification. No I just checked mine is serial SQ 102108 (ish) but it is still a quality instrument - I had it serviced a year or two ago and the technician was astonished how well made it was and in the time he had mine (a week or two) he went out and bought himself one to renovate. I still love it - and can't imagine ever parting with it if I can help it. Though Mrs Beware suggested we could sell it when I told her last night it might be worth something. :-/

Your tele must be exhausted!!! I have never played a tele - high time I did!! BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2012, 07:17:53 PM »
Well ... the SQs are following the JVs  up in value because the JVs are getting harder to find, and the SQs are the next best thing. Current value is around 500 quid in good nick - but again, increasing all the time. Still a sound investment. The last Japanese ones were the silver-series Squiers and they will follow the SQs up in value too - currently the fetch 200ish and I think are quite a good investment buy just now.

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2012, 12:57:08 PM »
Well ... the SQs are following the JVs  up in value because the JVs are getting harder to find, and the SQs are the next best thing. Current value is around 500 quid in good nick - but again, increasing all the time. Still a sound investment. The last Japanese ones were the silver-series Squiers and they will follow the SQs up in value too - currently the fetch 200ish and I think are quite a good investment buy just now.

Interesting Estreet thank you. I do love it - so will hang onto it - had some Fender Noiseless pick ups fitted - I guess that might reduce the value - but it does sound lovely....

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2012, 01:20:04 PM »
No problem if you kept the originals but I guess it doesn't matter if you never plan to sell it anyway. It's a weird quirk of guitars on e-bay that expensive pickups don't increase the value of guitars much. I just took 3 Duncans out of a Silver-Series (Japanese) Squier Strat bought for £212 with the original pickups included. Once those are sold its a Japanese Squier for about £100. Can't be bad

darreldo

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2012, 01:25:49 AM »
I gave my first ever guitar to a girlfriend, never got it back, only a rubbish strat cop but these things are sentimental!!!