konalavadome

Starfish Prime (Wonder of the Universe) for the "key" challenge

• 11 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: November 18, 2023, 11:19:25 PM »
I had no intention of doing so, but I promised Paul I'd upload this one in "Finished Songs" for completeness, as it's part of the "Key Challenge" that Paul @Wicked Deeds was kind enough to arrange. I've always loved and made every effort to take part in the challenges over the years and just about managed to drag myself over the line with this one. 

I drew the headline "wonder of the universe" which made my heart sink a little...then I drew the key of G#min or B...and when I threw a few chords together and got a tune going, I realised it was a little too high for me to sing without sounding awful. I wrote some lyrics and that ended with me binning the title I was given. I was messing with a chorus and middle eight...but  they were rubbish, so I canned them and thought I'd just make it short and sour. I recorded it without any guitars...so when I had made a horses ass of the singing...I thought I could just drop it a few semitones and re-record the vocals. Not much point in writing a song you can't even sing...although I've done it often enough...

I will review all the other entries, in time...I've already listened to (and enjoyed) them all.

This is about the time the USA detonated a 1.4 megaton Atomic Bomb in Space  :'(

So here's the song...

Starfish Prime

Your quest to escape
The scene of your crime
You’re clearly collectively
Losing your mind
You’re lighting it up
For the very first time
Destroying
Your own paradigm

You don’t come in peace
You come to deprave
You soil your own nest
Just to get what you crave
It’s little surprise
That you reach for the stars
In search
Of new abattoirs

You see self-destruction
And seek to go faster
You turn to the dark side
And make it your master
There you boldly go
Embracing disaster
Perdition
Per ardua, ad Astra

Goodbye.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2023, 10:15:06 AM »
Hi @PaulAds

Really, really great melody line here. I like the arrangement too.

I think it needs a big chorus to compliment the very strong verse melodies, and if you did have time to develop one, it would be a stand out song on this forum.

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2023, 11:41:44 AM »
Good morning Paul, I'm all barn danced out  :o

It's been a pleasure listening to your very human songs.  Observations of life neatly packaged into the smartest rhyming couplets that I have read on this forum. You're really accomplished in writing parts on keyboards but that doesn't surprise me as you clearly have a knack for creating melody.  It would follow therefore that you are able to find the right notes on any instrument.   I would love to hear trademark guitars on this track as I believe that it would lift this to a new level.  As ever, you've gone the extra mile in your research for the lyrics and that is a quality that I admire immensely.  It's been a long road buddy.  we even got to meet up on one or two occasions in our local area.  I'm not sure when I'll be home but the next time I am,  I'll be giving you a call and we can enjoy a few pints together. 

I don't have much business left to conduct here but I'll be following in your footsteps soon.  We've been here for many years and sadly I think it's time to leave the boards to the creativity of others.  It has been a real pleasure to have accompanied you on this journey.

Keep in touch buddy.

Paul

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2023, 09:05:50 PM »
Great song, interesting theme.. as you do.

Love the keys / synth motif.. very clever how it develops throughout..

I enjoyed it very much..

I'm sad @PaulAds to read that you're done here and looks like you're not the only Paul hanging up your boots.... I guess I'm in no position to evangelise as I'm in and out myself these days and probably more out than in as my inspiration and output are relatively low at the moment... But I'm not sure I'll be in at all without those who make this place special...

Anyway, regardless, this is another fantastic song from that mind of yours that has a creativity and quirkiness that I so admire..

K

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2023, 10:47:54 PM »
Hi Paul, once again you’ve knocked out one of those achingly catchy toplines that makes you unique. Hard to describe it, but it’s unmistakably you once you hear just a few seconds. A kind of melancholy mixed with power and a very Northern English delivery. Just perfect for our times and your part of the world. Mine too!

Lovely song. Guitars not necessary to convey the emotion in this instance.

Yes, I’m very much out and in here too, but I’m not saying goodbye forever just yet, as I know I’m a bit of a changeling. Maybe dipping in and out is what many of will do, going forward, and in a way there’s nothing wrong with that. As long as we rotate keeping the lights on all’s not lost. So I hope to see you here again whenever you feel you might like to contribute. Cheers.
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2023, 08:54:00 AM »
Love the spacey keys there - you always have interesting musical ideas as well as your normal poetry. I was also waiting for the chorus but actually it's a complete story so maybe there's nothing to add and those that need the message serving up on an anthemic plate maybe won't get the verses.

I'm reading (and loving) Children of Time by the ever fanciful Adrian Tchaikovsky at the moment - new abattoirs indeed.

Bankie

• Solo Gig
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2023, 09:10:19 PM »
I liked the airy mix, the synth keys and that cool little key lift in the middle to keep it interesting. I didn't mind the lack of chorus tbh - it's a message, you had progression in the song, and it's short. I'm not a fan of your vocal style, but that's just me, and I can't deny that regardless it does bring authenticity and passion.

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2023, 12:58:41 AM »
Well I reckon that the key challenge has brought the best out in everyone that took part. Another great contribution, really catchy. Honestly, I'm waiting for a bad song to come up - I need a reason to let loose my evil alter-ego!! ;D But everything I've heard this session has been great and this is no exception. Great stuff :)

Kafla

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2023, 08:22:32 AM »
I actually really like this dude. I also really like your vocal style lol….its unique , conveys your ideas well and is emotive.

Lyrically / conceptually it’s ace. It surpasses the majority of ideas that pass my quality control desk  ;D

Listen you are a great guy and there has been many a time over the last few years that you have made my day / lifted my mood / encouraged me to keep going….and me smile….smiles are so underrated these days. And man your Stan and Ollie song is in my heart forever….its a work of art!

Hopefully see you around somewhere babe….I quit too!!!!

Kafla ❤️❤️❤️❤️

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2023, 09:39:47 AM »
Your lyrics are a source of never ending amazement mate! I think some electronic drums would have suited the song better (rather than the acoustic ) but what do I know...
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2023, 01:28:48 PM »
Hi Paul.

An 'in your face' rant against the wrongs of everything,not bellowing and inarticulate,but insightful and incisive. The pen is truly mightier than the sword,especially when wielded with acerbic wit by yourself. The sweet melody belies the twisting of the knife deep in the guts of the offender.

100% classic PaulAds and awesome to hear.   8)

popitup

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2023, 10:10:25 PM »
@PaulAds . . . Nicely done . . . it stands on it's own as a really excellent poem ! (I hade to look up some new words and things) Musically I found it quite catchy, with great vocals. You could easily have morphed into a super dramatic chorus . . . Starfish Prime but sounds like you resisted that urge, even though the rhymes were totally there with "time" and "paradigm" Anyways, enjoyed it very much, and will surely go check out your other SC stuff this week.