Dancing (like you´ve never danced before)

• 19 Replies

skogge

• Open Mic
« on: September 02, 2015, 07:55:49 AM »
Hi good people

Been mostly absent from the forum recently. Time seems to slip away from me. Been having trouble listening to all the new songs and hardly made any music myself. So there´s really no reason to gimme feedback on my work since I haven't done my part. :(

Still...

Here´s a new song that I wrote and I sing together with my wife.

It´s an allegory about a financial system gone wild in the disguise of a story of that girl, adored by many but no good for noone, not even for the goodess herself. I dunno if it works on that kinda abstract plane but maybe it works straight up? Or maybe not at all :D

Well put on the dancing shoes for here´s the song
https://soundcloud.com/skogge/dancing-like-you-never-danced-before

and the lyrics for the sing-a-long kind of people:

Well are you
coming home now
when your lifestyle´s
on demise?
Demonstrating skills
you never had
the day you left
Are you sure
that they are welcome
that you´re fine?

There is more at stake
down the line

Well baby
maybe
What´s coming is just
what you deserve
But maybe
baby
We´re all fighting for the
slightest chance to serve
While you´re dancing
like you´ve never danced before

Slowly
Oh so slowly
you became
a part of me
Disregarding what I need
and what I value most
You´re a guilty pleasure
with some bad advice
But there´s more
at stake
down the line

Well baby
maybe
What´s coming is just
what you deserve
But maybe
baby
slightest chance to serve
you
While you´re dancing
like you´ve never danced
Dancing like you´ve
never danced
Dancing like you´ve
never danced
Dancing like you´ve
never danced
before

Well baby
maybe
What´s coming is just
what you deserve
But maybe
baby
slightest chance to serve you
While you´re dancing
like you´ve never danced
before

« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 03:03:09 PM by skogge »

Annoying Twit

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2015, 11:11:00 AM »
Definitely an early period Depeche Mode vibe here. It reminds me of the feel (but not the melody) of 'The Meaning of Love'.

I like the intro backing vocals. It's a singable catchy song. I like the synth breaks, and the outro..

It's an interesting concept to have the more serious lyrics about the financial collapse in the kind of synth pop that usually has more trite lyrics.

Perhaps the production could be a bit clearer, I found the layered vocals a bit indistinct at times. Perhaps the backing vocals could be panned more? Perhaps I would have appreciated a few more instrumental cues as to what the chords are, but I suspect that's just me.

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2015, 11:21:50 AM »
It's an interesting concept to have the more serious lyrics about the financial collapse in the kind of synth pop that usually has more trite lyrics.

Well the last song posted was a joyous celebration of life through the true story of two tragic deaths so I guess this comes down to persona :)

Thanks for listening and your advices. Guess I should do a new mix in a couple of weeks for the freshness of listening. Quite the ear fatigue now...

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2015, 07:00:51 PM »
i really enjoyed it.

i think it's a great way of getting a message across should anyone care to scratch the surface too

Great slice of fun...nice 'tache too  :)
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2015, 09:38:42 PM »
Love the incongruity between the light airiness of the melody and the deep lyrical content.

Thon pic still makes me laff too!

Doodles

• Solo Gig
    • Soundcloud Page
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2015, 11:04:23 PM »
Love the picture and enjoyed the song :D especially the instrumental near the end.  :D

I'm no expert, but the sound wave all looks very full, maybe it is a bit too loud in the mix, maybe the ear needs a moment to rest before it comes back.

Regardless, I'm glad you posted it and would be happy to hear it again popping up on Soundcloud. I've not really delved into the depths of the lyrical content yet. To be honest it takes me ages to 'get' most lyrics. I'm sure I've listened to some songs for over a decade, before one day the penny has dropped and the meaning has finally registered. From your blurb it sounds like a good lyrical idea.

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2015, 12:57:27 AM »
Wonderful journey into dance city.
I really liked the track's energy and the non-scripted feel to the vocals (which were stellar BTW)
I don't know about the funny out-of-chord bleeps near the very end though  ???

A fun listen indeed!
Paul

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2015, 06:59:24 PM »
Hi Skogge,

works for me, definitely, takes me back to the 1980s. Had me dancing with my headphones on. The bleeps sounded like the crash after the heady days of excess, so fit with your explanation of the lyrics.

Keith

DaveD

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2015, 08:27:02 AM »
Enjoyed listening to this. Was a good song and I liked the lyrics ( although of course I wouldn't have got the link with the financial system unless you'd told us).

I loved the music - the sound of those synths takes me back to my childhood and reminded me a lot of the 'speak and spell' depeche mode album. Right up my street!

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2015, 09:14:09 AM »
Yeah..80', yeah, Depeche thingy, a fun sound with deep lyrics ???
incongruous but a good track..

interesting stuff mate!
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2015, 01:56:18 PM »
incongruity

Thanks for the new word to my lyrical wordsmith collection. And the kind words.

interesting stuff mate!

Thanks!! I am aiming 100% towards that :)

Had me dancing with my headphones on. The bleeps sounded like the crash after the heady days of excess, so fit with your explanation of the lyrics.

Keith

The two best things I have ever read! :)

I really liked the track's energy and the non-scripted feel to the vocals (which were stellar BTW)

Thanks! I mostly do mid-tempo stuff so this was kinda new for me.
Love the picture and enjoyed the song :D especially the instrumental near the end.  :D

People seem to differ according to those bleeps :)
Perhaps the production could be a bit clearer, I found the layered vocals a bit indistinct at times. Perhaps the backing vocals could be panned more?

Those are my problems yes. You nailed it :)

airbirds

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2015, 05:46:56 PM »
Cool intro. This song reminds me of Stereolab and Magnetic Fields (who I love)

I like the sounds (both percussive) and synth throughout.

The lyrics are clever and this is a really fun song, enjoyable from start to finish.

The imperfections of the vocals are actually a plus for this song. Adds personality. There is real talent here.

I am sure that this music is not to everyone’s taste, but personally I love it!

skogge

• Open Mic
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2015, 08:06:49 PM »
Cool intro. This song reminds me of Stereolab and Magnetic Fields (who I love)

I like the sounds (both percussive) and synth throughout.

The lyrics are clever and this is a really fun song, enjoyable from start to finish.

The imperfections of the vocals are actually a plus for this song. Adds personality. There is real talent here.

I am sure that this music is not to everyone’s taste, but personally I love it!

Thanks for the cool indie namedropping!! Most people hear the eightiesness of the music but not the 90´s, which affected me profoundly on so many levels. Thanks mate, this made my evening! It is exactly what I am aiming for, musically :)

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2015, 11:43:24 AM »
Strangely, I quite enjoyed this, despite it not being my preferred genre at all.

The repetitiveness of the monophonic lines with little dynamic variation become quite monotonous to me but this is to do with the style rather than your songwriting.

In fact I think it was the quality of your vocal melodies that meant I enjoyed it despite this. I would have liked to have heard them a little clearer, the vocals got a little lost in the mix for me.

'Staaaaaake...down the line' stood out as a particularly good hook for me.

I also like the 'farting' synth that came in on the outro...

Yodasdad.

Jathon Delsy

• Open Mic
  • The Twisted Troubadour of Fleeting Fantasia
    • Jathon Delsy
« Reply #14 on: September 16, 2015, 05:58:26 PM »
A jolly bouncing synth boogie. I suspect that the somewhat cheesy yet humorous sound is a purposeful creation. It certainly suits the snappy, swiftly clever writing here. It's all a bit tremulous, a warbling wobble of fizzy fluff.
Lots of consummate musicianship, confident singing and clever arrangement is this busily produced, high 'n' happy tune. The bass light sound suits the low-fi synth textures. The weird and wacky instrumental passage at the end is a little piece of pure inspiration.
A polished, plastic, pertly prim, most original and different number that's thoroughly enjoyable,,,,