konalavadome

Knocked Out

• 9 Replies

Sjoerd_H

• Busker
    • Soundcloud profile
« on: December 08, 2011, 09:55:00 PM »
As some people were very positive about my previous song (Bone To Bone) I thought let's post another one.
This one is a bit more pop/indie style.

http://soundcloud.com/sjoerd-van-heumen/knocked-out

Thanku

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2011, 11:53:51 PM »
Hi Sjoerd :)
I like the feel of this one :)
The vocal melody was spot on and the story/concept of the song is good too. I think a couple of lyrics could do with tidying, but only because
I know English is not your first language :p I can spot that Dutch accent anywhere lol.
Just little things really that would make the difference.

For instance the first line.. Everybody got their own mistakes - In a rap song that might sound ok, but for a song with this feel I don't think it does.
For me it would sound better Everybody's got their own mistakes. Just for it to make a bit more sense gramatically. Or Everybody has their own mistakes.

Tell the doorman he's gonna have the time  of his life
Because I'm gonna get knocked out - What you are saying here is cool but the two "gonna's" just doesn't sit right. Hearing "Gonna" said so closely
together, in this instance, doesn't sound right.

This next song is for you
But let me help you dance it through - Personally I would drop the "But" here and just say "Let me help you dance it through" For no other reason than that I think it
would sound better.

I really like where you are going with this song and again I really like your vocals. :)
btw. If you ever want someone just to take a look at stuff like that feel free to pm me and I'd be more than happy to assist :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Sjoerd_H

• Busker
    • Soundcloud profile
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2011, 08:57:06 AM »
Thanku very much for the useful review! Its always difficult to write something in another language.
I'm going try the lines the way you wrote them.
If i have any other lyrics i'm not shure about i'll pm you  ;)

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2011, 09:11:41 AM »
haha that's ok :)
I keep meaning to write a song in Dutch and I will force myself to get to it one day :) And I'll be straight to Dutchbeat for help :p lol
Plus I didn't write them... You did. Just offering a little advice on arranging them to make better sense in English :)
« Last Edit: December 09, 2011, 09:16:17 AM by Schavuitje »
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

pmarino

• Open Mic
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2011, 10:57:31 AM »
I like the melody of this a good deal. The guitar work is solid, too. Your vocals are at times spot on, and at times, a bit less so (when it seems like you're hitting the edge of your range). A nice song.

JNR McCafferty

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2012, 02:15:06 AM »
Love this, your vocals are awesome and so melodic. Lots of emotion.

Keep this up :)

JNR
Here to collect and share knowledge and experience :)

I'm interested in collaborating and working on tracks with others. Just contact me and we can talk :)

http://soundcloud.com/paul-mccafferty-jnr

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2012, 12:10:44 PM »
Really impressed with this one especially good when english isn't your first language
Learner guitarist

Dutchbeat

« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2012, 02:29:02 PM »
Great singing, Sjoerd

good songwriting, would be lovely to play this chorus with a full band

and your English sounds perfect too me  ;D, but i think Schavuitje's advice is better on that...

(and btw: Schavuitje, sounds like the perfect challenge to me to work in some way with you on a Dutch song written by you)

postmn

• Solo Gig
  • I am not done listening to myself
« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2012, 05:50:35 PM »

im gonna be honest, theirs something i dont like about this song, sorry but its good vocals and lyrics keep em comin

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2012, 01:49:08 PM »
Like this one.

Nothing to comment on. Well played and sung.  :)
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)