County Lines

• 15 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: March 14, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »
Thought that I would post a more upbeat rocker this time (Not upbeat in terms of subject matter however)

This one is about another scourge to society, using kids to traffic drugs out of the big cities.

Hope you enjoy  :)

A hefty stash, exchanged for cash
He crossed the county lines
For greater wealth and poorer health
The deaf leading the blind
Head to a lockup, pick up the goods
On a daily saver, with a mission to deliver

A foray into Lincolnshire
With goods that were the best
He met the man he went to see
The cuckoo on his nest
Little commission, left feeling high
In a day he must return to keep the profits high

Saver time – Cheaper lines
Give it to the kids to do, they'll be doing fine
Save your time, never mind
Watching as they cross the county lines

The daily grind, it took it's toll
His fingers all grew cold
The heavy sweat, a cigarette
Began to feel quite old
Make a recruitment, kids always keen
Organise another trip
The more you sell, the more you get

Saver time – Cheaper lines
Give it to the kids to do, they'll be doing fine
Save your time, never mind
Watching as they cross the county lines

(c) Bradley - 2018

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 01:16:16 PM »
Gutsy writing, playing and singing... just the way I like it!

I read about this recently...shocking stuff.

I love the lead guitar lines in here...and the sound of those stabbing chords reminded me a bit of ye olde "clash City rockers" so thank you for that too...

Great to hear another smasher from what must be just about the busiest pen on the forum...love it!

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 01:32:46 PM »
Holey Moley!!! as raw as a really raw thing and more social comment to boot!! there's no stopping you John..onwards and upwards, 8) 8)

or in the case of the UK..downwards and further downwards... :( :(
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 04:19:21 PM »
Your voice is on fire here John. Great rocking sound but it’s your voice that does this one justice. The lyrics are very inventive as well. I also love how you rarely deliver a standard chorus - this one goes off on a tangent and is totally unexpected. The descending chords before the final choruses are the icing on the cake. Totally awesome.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 06:42:30 PM »
Yo pomps.

Nasty sounding guitars,edgy and stroke the ears like a razorblade.  :)

Your vocals have grown in stature over the last while and that confidence wins over the listener every time.

It's a fine rocker with a message which like the music,pulls no punches. Lots of great little ideas to enjoy.  8)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 07:54:06 PM »
Been listening to this as the opener on your album John and it struck me the first time I heard it... particularly the little 3 note riff that opens the chorus, I love that big time.  The little Mid8 around 2:20 is good too - a subtle little diversion.
It's all too beautiful.

Sonny And The Dark

• Busker
    • Sonny And The Dark
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 08:58:30 AM »
Hi John this has a really cool punk rock sound to it and very relevant lyrics to to current times! Well done mate

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2019, 12:15:34 PM »
Boom, that lead guitar riff really raises the excitement just before the chorus and then inside the chorus too. The changes in the guitar rhythm also play with the tension levels and work so well.

Really like the concept of the "saver" tickets and the profits as well as the "lines" idea. Very nice!

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2019, 09:53:46 PM »
Like others, love the guitars and the vocals.. oh, and the song! You are an inspiration in the way you produce new and interesting themes.. Great ending by the way - that guitar part is fantastic..

Loved this one... again...

K

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 08:43:14 AM »
This has all the raw edge of The Clash to start, but then goes off on a crazier journey in that chorus with its imaginative guitar layering and quite unexpected but blissful riffing.

Good job on those vocals! Pretty damn anthemic!
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 08:59:11 AM »
Whato @pompeyjazz - Heard this a few times over the last few weeks, didn't you change the lyrics? any way this is the Pompeyjazz voice I really dig, I punk really suits you, you seem to give it more passion, as for the song it's a good blast, lovely mid8, yip all in all much better than it was a few weeks ago.

Sorry I couldn't be more helpful John, I don't know how you think of so many song ideas, I've always been in awe of your work rate. I struggle to put out 1 song every 3 months...

Rich

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 01:55:00 PM »
Hi,

You have been very productive recently! Man, your records are sooo loud; I have to turn the volume down. As ever, your vocals are perfect for your material but I think they get drowned out by the storm of electric guitars at times. This isn't my thing but I can hear the skill that went into the writing, recording and production. Great song theme - bang up to date and full of strong social commentary.

M

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2019, 06:43:10 PM »
Hi John. Great punky song . Blend of the Clash and Manics. Explosive start and a hyper catchy verse. It's a real earworm. Production is spot on and overall the song and sound have a brilliant energy. I really like the guitar work on the chorus. Lyrics are great as we expect from you. Like the early Manics songs this has a mixture of really catchy elements but areas for improvement  I think the vocal melody in the chorus lacks a really strong hook like you have in the verse so it's an 8/10 rather than a 10/10 for me.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 04:48:26 PM »
John, just echo what's been said. it sounds so committed and live and the vocals make it sound real and live.
You tell the story in that matter of fact manner and it ebbs and flows like a proper angry guitar pop tune should.
:-)
neil
songwriter of no repute..

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 08:00:34 PM »
Hi John,

Agree with others has real echoes of the Clash, lots of raw energy.

Very clever and emotive lyrics, you could be writing for the British version of the Wire.

There's  guitar hook in there which I really love.

A great listen.

Sandeep