Songwriter Forum > The Writing Process

How do you stay original?

<< < (3/4) > >>

Martinswede:
Hi!

When I find myself stuck on just one sound I sometimes do the opposite. Instead of trying to move away from that sound I start recording and try to use that idea over and over just to use it up.

mikek:
So when you write an upbeat song it just naturally comes out sounding like Arctic monkeys? You arent "going for that"?

If it is the natural music that comes out of you then I wouldnt worry about it. I would only focus on doing something original from the last thing you did. Explore new sonic territory, new lyrical directions, new chordal patterns, new beat emphasis.

Originality has its own way of ringing true if you are putting out what is really inside of you.

MartynRich:
I would stop worrying about it just do your thing. The more different styles you can listen to the better. That includes today’s music even if you don’t like it too much. It may give you an idea for a melody or a chord progression you haven’t thought up before.

Another trick is to play along to songs you haven’t heard before. This can give you new riffs and melodic ideas as well.

Wicked Deeds:
Write whatever makes you happy. I sound incredibly like my favourite writers but I embrace that rather than deliberately try to do something too different. The exception is the stuff that I have written for Nooms and I. Essentially I wrote quirky instrumentals and sent them acoss to him to work his magic. Perhaps the secret is to find a co-writer, someone who has a very different approach to yourself but someone who you admire and trust to work their own magic
Paul

Vintage54:

Hey,
     If i played a tune for someone, and they said, that sounds like Townes van Zandt, or John Prine, or Dylan, i'd be happy as a pig in shite. Don't worry about originality, just try and write the best you can. A good song is a good song, even if it's not completely original.

Vintage54

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version