Should never be used forever
The sad karaoke machine
The party's finished, It's over

Kristupas

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 11:12:06 AM »
The title got me here :)))
Definitely an eye-catcher.

Do you have a melody for this, style, genre, groove..

I love the idea in general, just some lines seem uneven? (like unstressed vs stressed syllables in some cases)

Cause in the end, you want to listen, no to read, of course, unless you have it figured out, then It's just my initial observation, without enough knowledge.

Lots of potential.

Kris

KyleRead

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2017, 09:11:21 PM »
The title got me here :)))
Definitely an eye-catcher.

Do you have a melody for this, style, genre, groove..

I love the idea in general, just some lines seem uneven? (like unstressed vs stressed syllables in some cases)

Cause in the end, you want to listen, no to read, of course, unless you have it figured out, then It's just my initial observation, without enough knowledge.

Lots of potential.

Kris

Hey Kris!

I got the idea of the flow while listening to Prince. I was feeling a Funky 80s vibe in it. So maybe a song like that would be good for this song.

I'm really new to the songwriting thing, and know little of stressed/unstressed syllables (probably learned that in high school, but I always forget) I wanna know more about it though, and how to fix that kind of thing.

To be honest, I'm not sure I understood your third comment there. Maybe it's just me and my tired brain :P. Could you please explain what you were saying? I'm eager to understand  :)

Thanks for the great advice! Really helped me lots!

Kyle

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2017, 08:57:43 PM »
Hi Kyle,

the only verse that didn't work for me was the Madonna one, sorry. I think it was using the word preach to describe the her father's advice. The grammar doesn't feel right, but that might be just me.

Usually the stressed syllables fall on the beat. the unstressed syllables fall on the ands (for 8th notes) or e and a for 16th notes. So for karaoke you have 4 syllables. You could place each syllable on a beat so the word lasts a bar. Or you could sing it as 8th notes so the stresses sound on "Ka" and "o" or you could make the "ra" longer so the "o" falls on a "and" so the ke is stressed. depending on the mood you want to create.

Having the stress on "ra" would sound odd as you wouldn't stress that syllable in everyday speech.

The importance of the stresses and where they come in your lyric affects the way your singing comes across.

Of course, as all rules in music, you can choose to break them if they sound better.

Hope this helps.

Keith