My latest single "Woman"

• 16 Replies

notokens

• Busker
« on: May 08, 2012, 03:13:52 PM »
Here's my latest song "Woman". It's written, recorded, mixed and mastered myself at home. Let me know what you think. Thanks.

http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_13254759
« Last Edit: May 16, 2012, 04:37:35 AM by notokens »

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2012, 06:04:32 PM »
Like the song - punches along nicely. I wonder if the melody in the verse could be a little stronger? It is just a bit disjointed I think - don't get me wrong, it just didn’t flow quite as easy as perhaps it could. The chorus and the middle eight I thought were really nice and strong. It might be that this mix - slightly overpowering backing sort of swallowed up the vocal so maybe if the voice was mixed forward then might be all it needs?? It might just be I am missing the melody in everything that is going on?? Anyway having said all of that I really enjoyed it. Good stuff look forward to hearing more from you. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2012, 09:37:18 PM »
Sounds like a very polished song, great rolling drums, like it!
Learner guitarist

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2012, 09:49:56 PM »
Neat playing and tidy music in general. The drums are particularly tight, the bass solid, and the guitars well played too.

The vocals are heavily effect-laden, (in my opinion too much so) and a tad too low in the mix. It is hard to judge the character of the vocal due the all the effects.

It feels like this track is more about the sounds than the song. There is little melodically that grabs me despite a few repeated phrases in there. I am typing moments after listening and I can't recall anything other than the "Woomaaan" on the downward vocal bend. The chorus vocal seems like it may have a strong melody but it half hidden from us by all the production trickery.

I am concerned that a bit too much has gone into the editing here and killed the life of the song. Less is often more as the motto goes. The heavy use of forward-in-the-mix delay is a particular offender here; it's a dance music trait that is sits a little uncomfortably for me in this mix. Covering the gaps with repeating words with no diminishing volume has made a song with little dark and light; it all sits on one level vocally.

Listening closer the vocal has an odd timbre; its kind of Bob Dylan in its stretched vowels, crossed with Liam Gallager, all pitched up half an octave to a high tenor. I can't tell whether I like it; again, this is because of mixing choices  :)

Regardless it all sounds well done for a home recording and you have a great handle on mixing levels between bass drums and guitar. Song wise this doesn't do much for me. I'd focus your energy on the writing now you have a decent handle on production.  :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2012, 01:58:37 AM »
really enjoyed this. I appreciate what you were aiminf for vocally and I like the effect but James is right. It's lost at the moment.
James would know better than I how to fix it, but it's just too quiet and hard to follow like he says. The backing drowns it out.
Really enjoyed it though. Had a great bounce.
Is well worth fixing the vocal problem :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

flossie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2012, 09:52:40 AM »
Hi

This was really interesting to listen to, your musicianship and production skills are excellent, the song itself is good but I find the vocals irritating to listen to! I am going to be a hypocrite and say the effects on the vocal are too heavy (James will know what I'm talking about).

I think you need one more section in there to change it up a bit and help the track build again in the last third of the song - something quite different dynamically.

Well done though, I look forward to more from you  ;)
x

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2012, 11:36:35 AM »
all this sounds and effects fighting for attention. i cant hear a real song in here. i mean the structure is there but its all a bit overdone. like james said, its more about sounds then about a strong song melody. and i think thats what should come first.

gr.    Dan

Florida Mike

• Open Mic
    • Michael Holmes Singer Songwriter Official Site
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2012, 05:28:30 AM »
I think it is a song that could be remixed and sound much better. The right mix would really make this song a totally different experience and it would be a really good one...you have the foundation here... I love the sections about "you changed my life and sometimes we don't have a choice"...I like the song a lot, some spacey guitar effects. I would suggest strongly to re-mix with the VOCALS way more up front and personal, a warmer deeper punchier mix on the low end. As I initially said I congratulate you on what I think is a cool song, reminds me of something George Harrison might have done...and you say it's all mixed at home...do some more mixes, I personally would LOVE to hear them...good job, you have a nice foundation to a great house here...keep at it.

PS - Having said all the above about the mix, at the end of the day if that is the sound you are looking for (Vocals in the back and not as distinguishable) and it matches your other work, then as always I say be true to your school, but I think this song is gonna benefit from a good remix....cheers.

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2012, 11:58:52 PM »
hi notokens,
i think this is great,
the section before the last chorus seemed a long time coming but great track, all works for me
reminds of kulashaker , love the sweeping changes, sounds great loud...

your not the same fellow from a few months ago in a different jumper ? he was good too, damn fool went to america or somewhere
great stuff mate
and welcome to the forum
be a good idea to comment on other folks work, its appreciated, join in and you'll get a response..
all the best,
nooms
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 12:04:55 AM by nooms »
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Sjoerd_H

• Busker
    • Soundcloud profile
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 02:24:59 PM »
Hey, cool song!

When I saw the title I thought of Woman by Wolfmother, then I listened to your song and it felt just like Wolfmother (only poppier). The melody works fine. It feels like it has to be played on a big stage, so I hope it will get you there soon ;)

Don't know how you gonna make it sound like this live, do you have any idea? Because the delay on the vocals seems to be a big thing.

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2012, 10:55:14 AM »
Hi,

really liked this, as others have said the vocal needs bringing up & the effects bringing down a touch.....nice one

notokens

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 04:37:14 AM »
Thanks for all your feedback. I will definitely have to address the vocals issue. Even though I was kinda going for this sort of sound (heavy chorus, delays), you might be right and it seems to be too much of that. I quickly remixed an intermediate version: http://www.reverbnation.com/play_now/song_13254759 - let me know if the vocals sound better.

If I ever do this one live, I will probably play it faster. Not sure, cause it's my internet project and I don't have such plans yet. I'm simply trying to collaborate with different musicians online and see what comes out of it.

joe gardner

• Busker
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2012, 06:05:45 PM »
yeh i like this man! busting the riffs out, catchy, trippy, bit druggy, really cool. i love the vocals at the level they are. the lyrics are cool too. banger!

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2012, 09:28:13 AM »
Good song...keep em coming. ;)

faero

• Busker
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 02:07:36 PM »
Fun song - with bags on energy.    I agree on the mix comments but by the end of the song I got used to it and I think it is actually very close to where it will 'work'.
There's probably a touch too much general noise (swirly guitars etc) and that's not giving much space for the rest.

Great song with interesting twist on the more upbeat middle8 section.