Do you give copies of demos to session singers/bands?

• 8 Replies

oldmanblues

• Busker
« on: April 11, 2014, 11:36:23 AM »
Hi, I have a question relating to making a demo:
I have written several songs and they are complete. I have written all of the lyrics, as well as all of the music. I have found a band to record them in a studio session.

I then intend to submit my songs to various publishers etc. I intend to do this in my own time and do not want the songs heard by anyone before then. I certainly don`t want them on the internet.

The problem is that I was discussing the forthcoming studio session with a couple of members from the band and they said, "Oh, we can put the demo on Youtube, Soundcloud etc. It will be good for our band´s profile".
I explained to them that I didn´t want that and I owned the copyright, so it was ultimately my decision. They then said Youtube is full of amateur bands/singers doing covers and they also don´t own the copyright.

It has got me thinking about how best to control my songs.
Is it normal procedure to give session singers a copy of the demo?
Has anyone had problems after doing this?
I would like to do this and it seems petty not to do this, but what they said has got me thinking.
 The studio where we intend to record has told me that everyone there on the day can have a copy of the session. I am not sure I want to do this after what they said. I know of course they could still go and record the song themselves and still put it on the internet.
Many thanks in advance.

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 12:36:34 PM »
Have you or are you paying these players as session players?

The only sure fire way to keep total control of your song is to sign contracts.

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 11:43:09 AM »
Yeah, Alan has a point. If this is paid, draft a tight contract and cover yourself.

Interestingly, I have been the "artist" in this scenario a few times, including on with a couple of writers on here. And, I would never dream of using the writer's song on my own promo/youtube/soundcloud. Granted, I have my own music and agenda to push. Perhaps that is in part why, despite doing this kind of work, I have never been asked to sign anything: the writer perhaps didn't consider that I would want to use their stuff, as I have my own.

Interesting post, has got me thinking.
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 01:09:56 PM »
I would come at this from a different angle...

WHY do you want to keep your songs under wraps?

I can say this because I haven't heard your stuff and I don't know you but...

...It is possible you are being a little paranoid and "in denial" about your songs

You appear to think that the songs you have are "super special" and if they were "leaked" then someone else is likely to steel them and use them as their own, making lots of money etc. etc.

This is usually the behaviour of either an established writer/band (and by this I mean with a string of #1 hits) protecting their next big hit

OR

An inexperienced newbie that hasn't yet realised the key to songwriting is IMPROVING at your craft - and to do this you need HONEST feedback, and the best way to get this is from strangers (not family and friends!), and the best way to get this is to get your songs "out there", which IMHO is waaaaay more important than protecting your latest "masterpiece"

I don't mean this to sound harsh but I have seen and heard soooooooooo many delusional songwriters be overprotective about songs that don't stand a chance of being picked up

I think your time would be better spent getting the songs out there - if they create a "buzz" you will stand a much better chance with publishers - a publisher should NEVER be the first person to hear one of your songs - you would be better off getting feedback, re-writing, get more feedback, re-write and THEN submit the song when it is the absolute BEST it can be

I think most people on this forum would say that their songwriting has improved as a direct result of feedback on this forum, I know mine has

The above may not be applicable to you but I would suggest reflecting on your reasons for wanting to be all "secret squirrel" with your songs
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 12:52:30 PM »
Something that comes to mind reading @Boydie's comments above:

Another avenue is the ease of social network "sharing"

Say I perfrom a vocal for another artist. They can post it on THEIR youtube/soundcloud account. I can then

-share the posts on my Facebook/twitter with notes about my work on it.
-repost on soundcloud to my followers
-Share on google+/YouTube channel

All of the above benefit BOTH parties. The writer gets the hits from a whole seperate fanbase, and the vocalist gets some self promo out of it.

I have seen this happen a LOT and it is a great way for the little guys (i.e. EVERYONE on this website ;) ) to build momentum.

This way, the artist isn't using the work directly on their channels, but it IS being seen by their fans.

This type of thing negates the secret squirrel issue while retaining control. It is what I would do if I had people work on my songs :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

oldmanblues

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 11:20:00 AM »
Hi, thanks for all of the comments. Many good points.

I am paying them all by the hour. No one is working for free. All of them are getting a good deal. I have explained to them that the demo with them on it will not be commercially released.

I understand the point that was made about maybe overrating how good the songs are , but this genuinely isn´t my concern. I know that some of the songs are not that good.

I just have concerns that it could be on all types of social media, with me having no control where or when it appears.

Shouldn´t the person who created something, whether it be a song, book, film etc ultimately decide what to do with it?

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2014, 12:00:07 PM »
Shouldn´t the person who created something, whether it be a song, book, film etc ultimately decide what to do with it?

Absolutely!

You, as the copyright holder, retain FULL control over your "creation" - and this is how it should be

I think you are being more than fair being up front about what you expect and what you want - you pay your money you take your choice (as the great Status Quo once said!)

If it doesn't work with these guys I am sure you can find more people will to record for money (PM me if you need another band to record them for you  ;))

To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2014, 12:45:18 PM »
I know that some of the songs are not that good.

Now that, my friend, is a complete waste of money.

Cut those songs.

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2014, 12:20:31 PM »

HEY

i would have thought if you pay someone to do a pro job on your creations
 then they have know right to anything,

like if they have a copy of the songs, then they should pay you for them
 after all you paid them for there part,

i'm sure there are people on here that have sent their work to Nashville
 and i'm sure that when they have done it thats it for the pro's no more invovement
 so i don't see how these guys get anything a part from the money for the demo

just my opinion,  GOOD LUCK WITH YOUR SONGS I'M SURE THERE GREAT

tony