Back In Mississippi With You

• 27 Replies

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 06:38:05 AM »
Love the song, MD............great storytelling. I dig the early 70's folk style vibe.....my kinda stuff. I'm reminded of both John Denver and Neil Young........cool stuff!
And I think I smell some Bob Dylan smoke in there, as well
                                                                                                     -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 09:16:05 AM »
Wonderful song in my opinion. 

I heard echoes of Marty Robbins AND Roy Orbison in this song.  And even a little tiny feeling of a folky Arlo Guthrie, "City of New Orleans" sound. 

I thought it was absolutely beautiful and memorable.  There have been a lot of excellent songs in the last few weeks here.  This one sticks out. 

www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 11:27:24 AM »
Superb instrumentation in this song and great lyrics. A very nice country style that I normally don't go for, but this was a pleasure to listen to. Good song.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 12:00:11 PM »
Hi Alan, your trademark butterscotch vocals and authentic lyrics. Really liked the instrumentation it all worked really well, though I did find the bass and mids were a bit 'light'?
Good stuff!
Cheers
Jamie

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2016, 01:42:33 PM »
Oh thank you Frenchy...I knew what I wanted to say,but as I read down the comments no one else was saying it...I got a bit nervous and then read your post...
Anyway,Hello Allan,this is a lovely song,great lyrics,well sung by you and yours.I thought the instrumentation was very nice and I loved the bridge.

My two nits were that I thought the drums seemed buried in the mix and also that the verse and chorus melodies were a bit too similar for me.The harmony works nicely,I just wanted the chorus to lift more...or maybe I would have shaped the verse melody a little differently to make the chorus stand out even more.

Anyway this is Just my honest impression mate.Keep or sweep as the cool kids say!  ;D
Leo

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2016, 09:38:06 PM »
Hi Alan,

Good to hear from you - seems ages.

Very good write.
The vocals complement each other. Perhaps the BVs could be a little higher.
I must agree with the other comments regarding the lack of low end. The drums and bass both seem a little lost to me.
The different elements you put in - Dobro, organ, etc - work very well.

Enjoyed it.

Digger

The S

• Solo Gig
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 11:10:23 AM »
Yup, great song, great lyrics and vocal performance. Only nit is I wanted the harmonica louder 'cause I just love harmonica that's all. =)

Keep it up!

Cheers,

S

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2016, 01:18:29 PM »
A fine song, your voice is perfect for it and your wife provides very fetching harmonies..thought the vocal was a little bit heavy frequency wise but it's a personal thing innit..we'd all do it different,

fab work..
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2016, 06:20:06 AM »
I'm torn between enjoying the full-band arrangement and wondering whether there's a bit too much going on instrument-wise here. I like the sound of them all, that's the trouble!

I like the bv harmonies as they are - a nice complement to the lead - but not overpowering.
Yes, the chorus melody doesn't wildly lift from the verse but the lines of the chorus set it apart well enough. (Frenchy's harmony idea might not be a bad one though.) I'm keen on the hookline starting and ending a chorus like they do here which wraps it up nicely.

State nostalgia is a well-worn but almost essential song theme. Every album in this genre should have one. my only preference on that score would be on 'Mississippi' for the word to come in without a pause before it so the first 3 syllables aren't tripping over each other....especially on the first line. A small, probably personal thing but occurred to me anyway.

Best thing here is the strong chorus device which ensures that the song keeps coming back to a high point and will fix in the listener's mind and make them keep listening.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2016, 12:32:33 PM »
Hi and thanks to everyone who commented - I appreciate it.

I'm torn between enjoying the full-band arrangement and wondering whether there's a bit too much going on instrument-wise here. I like the sound of them all, that's the trouble!

I like the bv harmonies as they are - a nice complement to the lead - but not overpowering.
Yes, the chorus melody doesn't wildly lift from the verse but the lines of the chorus set it apart well enough. (Frenchy's harmony idea might not be a bad one though.) I'm keen on the hookline starting and ending a chorus like they do here which wraps it up nicely.

State nostalgia is a well-worn but almost essential song theme. Every album in this genre should have one. my only preference on that score would be on 'Mississippi' for the word to come in without a pause before it so the first 3 syllables aren't tripping over each other....especially on the first line. A small, probably personal thing but occurred to me anyway.

Best thing here is the strong chorus device which ensures that the song keeps coming back to a high point and will fix in the listener's mind and make them keep listening.

Thanks Viscount, my wife can already hear the third harmony in her head and wishes she'd thought of it earlier!
A fine song, your voice is perfect for it and your wife provides very fetching harmonies..thought the vocal was a little bit heavy frequency wise but it's a personal thing innit..we'd all do it different,

fab work..

Thank you shadowfax - don't quite understand what you mean by heavy frequency wise but glad you liked the song.

Yup, great song, great lyrics and vocal performance. Only nit is I wanted the harmonica louder 'cause I just love harmonica that's all. =)

Keep it up!

Cheers,

S

Hi S - yes I love harmonica also - just wish i could play better.

Hi Alan,

Good to hear from you - seems ages.

Very good write.
The vocals complement each other. Perhaps the BVs could be a little higher.
I must agree with the other comments regarding the lack of low end. The drums and bass both seem a little lost to me.
The different elements you put in - Dobro, organ, etc - work very well.

Enjoyed it.

Digger

Glad you enjoyed it digger. I'm not a fan of prominent bass and drums - it's just a personal preference.

Oh thank you Frenchy...I knew what I wanted to say,but as I read down the comments no one else was saying it...I got a bit nervous and then read your post...
Anyway,Hello Allan,this is a lovely song,great lyrics,well sung by you and yours.I thought the instrumentation was very nice and I loved the bridge.

My two nits were that I thought the drums seemed buried in the mix and also that the verse and chorus melodies were a bit too similar for me.The harmony works nicely,I just wanted the chorus to lift more...or maybe I would have shaped the verse melody a little differently to make the chorus stand out even more.

Anyway this is Just my honest impression mate.Keep or sweep as the cool kids say!  ;D
Leo

Hi Leo,

As above with respect to the drums. Another reviewer thought they were too loud so hay ho. Thanks for listening.

Hi Alan, your trademark butterscotch vocals and authentic lyrics. Really liked the instrumentation it all worked really well, though I did find the bass and mids were a bit 'light'?
Good stuff!
Cheers
Jamie

Hi Jamie, thanks for commenting - bass lite is the montydog way :-)

Superb instrumentation in this song and great lyrics. A very nice country style that I normally don't go for, but this was a pleasure to listen to. Good song.

Thanks Martyn - maybe I can turn you on to country music - it's not all bad!

Wonderful song in my opinion.  

I heard echoes of Marty Robbins AND Roy Orbison in this song.  And even a little tiny feeling of a folky Arlo Guthrie, "City of New Orleans" sound.  

I thought it was absolutely beautiful and memorable.  There have been a lot of excellent songs in the last few weeks here.  This one sticks out.  

Wow, thanks hardtwist. Your kind words made my day. I'll take all those comparisons all day long.

Love the song, MD............great storytelling. I dig the early 70's folk style vibe.....my kinda stuff. I'm reminded of both John Denver and Neil Young........cool stuff!
And I think I smell some Bob Dylan smoke in there, as well
 -Tom

Ironknee, thankyou - Neil Young is one of my heroes so that comparison means a lot.

Hi Alan,

I'm following the rest on this one, me and my pop sensibility would bring the chorus melody out a little bit more with a third harmony above your line, simply because the notes you sing are close to the verse so this would help with a lift and just give that chorus a bit more shine. I agree with another comment about the bottom end, your bass is adequate, I think the problem lies with the drums, they need to be brought forward a little bit especially the kick which lacks presence. Love the vocal sound, warm and cozy, which fits perfectly for the song.

Well done to you and the missus !
Regards,
Frenchy
Hi Frenchy. Thanks for commenting. See my earlier comments with respect to the bottom end!

Yes, agree with the pack - lovely song - excellent warm vocals unique to you alan and the harmonies are nicely sung. Lyrics are solid and fit the genre perfectly. Could use a bit more bass end in the mix and I thought the dobro and organ kind of competed for the same spectrum (maybe play lower organ notes?) Liked the bridge/change-up. Could maybe be trimmed to 3 mins and change... but I prob do too many haircuts on my stuff :)

Enjoyed muchly!
Paul

So glad you enjoyed it, Paul. I take your points on the length and the frequency range of the instruments. My skills as a producer/mixer are limited. i just record what I play.

harp and slide great stuff,
‘sweat running down the walls... ‘  
strong lyric as per
nice back up from janine sits perfect
your vocals up front and intimate , clear as a velvet bell.
is this the opener on a new 'walker' cd by any chance cos your off to a good start..

could you onetime write a song about dunstable or reigate or god forbid, basingstoke ! guess they dont have the same resonance but..
lovely stuff monty

Thanks, nooms. Yes, this is the opening track of the new CD. How about "Back In Billericay With You"?.........no, perhaps not! Thanks for the kind words.

A fantastic story-telling song with your stamp of excellence on it Alan  :)
I love your wife's harmonies  :) they really add a nice touch, and of course your vocals are sublime :)
There are some delicious lines in the lyrics...I love this verse:

There were times when my doubts overwhelmed me
Felt as worn as the leather of my shoes
Hitching rides with losers and dreamers
Rolling down desperation avenue  :) :)

The bridge is lovely, but I wonder what it would sound like if it came in after the 4th verse  :-\
On my first listen, the drums kind of bothered me a bit for the first couple of verses,
but then the 2nd time, I got used to them  ::)
I love all the instruments in this and the bass sounds great  :o
I love the chorus, but I wonder if a third harmony in it, would give it more of a lift and
distinction from the verses  :-\
Great job on production Boydie :) :)

Hi Suzy,

Thanks for the lovely comments. yes the third harmony part was a missed opportunity - I'm not working Mrs M hard enough! Boydie mastered the track, he didn't produce it. I can't afford him to do both!

I can't think of anything to add to the rest of the comments. I especially agree with wanting to hear the background vocals a little better, but I almost always want to hear background vocals a little better, so that's probably just me. I really appreciate your lyric; I'm not a fan of lyrics that I can't make sense of. And this one relates a great story.

Vicki

Thanks Vicki - your kind words are appreciated.
great stuff Alan. This got me straight away. At first I thought the vocals were too much in your face but then relaxed into the song. Great work as ever.

Cheers John

Thanks John - your comments are much appreciated.
montydog,

Really enjoyed this song...is it in anyway autobiographical by the way? The lyrics are so strong that it comes across that way...if you don't mind me saying! Feels very powerful.

Particularly liked this verse:
There were times when my doubts overwhelmed me
Felt as worn as the leather of my shoes
Hitching rides with losers and dreamers
Rolling down desperation avenue

Loved the way you've described the 'doubts' here. Also loved the rhyme of shoes with avenue. I'm always looking for rhymes like that when i'm writing...I think they make for the best storytelling verses. It sounds much more natural when the rhyme isn't jumping out at the listener...love it!

Great stuff...really enjoyed it!

Paul :)

Thanks Paul,
Yes the lyrics are autobiographical. I left my home county of Devon many years ago and regretted it pretty quickly. That feeling of missing what you love and the familiarity is what I drew on here and put it along with the title which came from a TV series script.

@Adamfarr  Glad you liked the song and take your point about the BVs. Relieved that you couldn't spot the first time bass playing

@movin Flavour - Thanks for the complimentary comments - appreciate it.

@Skub - Great comments, thank you. I agree that Boydie has done a great job.

@delboy - Get a dobro - you will never look back. PM if you need any advice on the best instrument to get. Good to have another country fan on here. Thanks for the kind words.

@ Neil C - Yep, bass and backing vocals could maybe louder. Thanks for the compliments.

@ retrononmusic - No, I'm from Devon! Drums are a matter of preference but pleased you lked everything else. 

@pompeyjazz - Thanks for commenting - really pleased you liked it.

Again,

Thank you all who listened, liked and commented.

M
« Last Edit: April 10, 2016, 01:06:27 PM by montydog »

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2016, 03:12:42 PM »
well the voice is still thrilling...it charms & calms like it did last time i was here...i could listen to it all day long ...your wifes ears must be so spoilt! :)
& theres all sorts of lovely things in the mix..its a well baked cake! boydie knows his oven well
no surprises with the title ...i remember you live your songwriting life in the USA..i reckon you should post your stuff on a american forum...my experience of americans is they love the brit accent
they even tell me how cool my weedy voice is bcos its british...so they would rave about yours & singing songs about there own backyard you would go down a storm!
anyway thats your US tour sorted :)
the lyrics ....tom waits sounds like a scary smellytramp & you wouldnt want to have dinner with him
but you sound like the nicest tramp i could hope to meet...so again americans (who have the worst tramps) would love you
i liked your wife trilling away in the background & that dobro is always great  & of course a happy ending which is what we all want
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

JonathanSmith

• Busker
    • Website
« Reply #26 on: April 13, 2016, 11:37:09 PM »
Oh I really enjoyed this, thanks for posting! Love a bit of country. I particularly liked the 'Dixieland' reference around 3 minutes...I was just thinking I might have dropped the instrumentation down in the last verse, and then that happened!

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2016, 10:46:30 AM »

Hi Mr/Mrs Monty ;D

Excellent song.  One of your best (said that before)  ;D

Great choice of instruments, the combination puts it
 right in the zone.  Especially liked the harp, played with
 great feeling.  The 'land of cotton' idea is inspired and works
 really well.

Loved it  ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran