konalavadome

Zzzz...1 (Dutchbeat mix)

• 23 Replies

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« on: October 16, 2013, 10:17:21 AM »

Hi

This is the latest from UKNL (Me and a Dutchman)....I know he's around here somewhere ;D ;D

http://snd.sc/1hU6bvE

I really like what Dutch has done with the mix on this one....I think it's got a nice 'laid back'
  feel to it.

Does it need lyrics ?  Can anyone think of a better title ?  Is it too long ?  etc. ;D

All comments most welcome

Thanks for taking the time to listen.....hope you enjoy ;D ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Dave Bradley

• Solo Gig
    • Dave Bradley Music
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2013, 10:46:12 AM »
Great production, lovely groove...

Only nit, I think the staccato strings sound too orchestral for the mix, perhaps need to be more like jazz ensemble strings? Just a thought.

Cut back the sound FX and this could have a great vocal life, with the lyrics interweaving with the cool guitar lead...

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2013, 02:39:38 PM »
Hi Bin/DB,

If i was to rename this I would call it "Last Night in the 23rd Century."
It has this night feel to the guitar and sax, then you have these space sounds drifting in and out. Made me think of Blade Runner.
The mix is great. Lovely playing. Not sure there is much room for vocals in it's current form - already pretty busy.

Interesting and accomplished stuff.

Cheers,

Digger

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2013, 07:55:29 PM »
the first minute was brilliant & promised so much ....loveley loveley guitar! oooh such a great bass sound & realy truly unusual sounds from the keyboards !! heaven knows what dutchbeat was doing to his keyboards...it sounded like he was filling them up with helium & tickling them with no mercy!
but then the fx got a bit random & started to annoy a little bit & the song didnt go anywhere else & i realy missed a vocal ...this was a shame becos there is some great things going on here ...some of the guitar is sublime & like i said the keyboard noises are realy ecxellent
i think you need a voice in there maybe a spoken voice & definateley telling a little story to give it a directuion & meaning ?

by the way are you annoyed with me dutchbeat?
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2013, 08:07:22 PM »
Maybe it's a bit long but if it came on in the car at night I'd hope it would never end.  The fact there is so much in there keeps the interest for me - it won't go to number 1 though ;-)
I like it,
GTB
GTB

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2013, 10:53:14 PM »
Oh yes, that has an amazing hot, cool summer holiday feel. It would make a great soundtrack....soundtrack to what I don't know.....maybe to a pedro almodovar movie or something.

Gorgeous without lyrics, and could probably be equally gorgeous with.....something simple though probably, to not detract from the music.

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2013, 11:18:22 PM »
hey BIN / DB,

I love that sound chilled me right out
would love that to come on while i'm driving home at night
I think this has its place, it could take lyrics
but I don't think it has to, if I pulled in at a layby mmm who knows
I don't mean on my own though,  anyway yeah I like this

good luck with it,           tony.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2013, 11:26:29 PM »
Chill out written all over it..and i agree with GTB great driving music.

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2013, 12:30:18 PM »
Hi Bin...I love this as I've said before...the guitar and sax are heavenly :) and the DB touch is awesome :) I was kinda humming along with this and I can hear a slow sultry very sparse vocal in this 8) more as an accompaniment then a lead and not a whole lot of lyrics :) IMHO :-\ I love it as is as well  :) :) CS
« Last Edit: October 19, 2013, 12:03:52 PM by crystalsuzy »

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2013, 02:50:35 PM »
Great feel and crammed full of interesting little snippets of riffs.

Some instruments with reverb, some totally dry. There's a few moments when the subtle swing is joined by a totally non-swing straight ahead rhythm. It shouldn't work but it does. Great!

Lovely acou guit solo sound with a nice silvery edge to it. If you could add some mic'd acoustic to it, it would be even better.

I agree with Tinam - it does need a little more build and the time needs cutting down.

Some nice playing and good production too.

Bit of Steely Dan too. Nice one fella's.

Alan.

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2013, 06:53:01 PM »
Hi guys,
             Some nice playing on this ! Particularly like the acoustic playing. I think there are lots of things going on in this but to my mind it would be strengthened by adding vocals. You could easily build on the main structure of the song, the main instrumental themes and create a really strong song.IMHO ;D :o ::)
But what do I know? ;D ;D
Cheers
Jamie

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2013, 07:59:59 PM »
Hi,

Good production and sax is the best part of the song.

Like earlier ... maybe little too long?

Stylus

• Stadium Tour
    • http://www.youtube.com/user/DJRAJBAROT
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2013, 09:09:40 PM »
Hi  Bin.....&  Dutch

It has got a great groove to it &  it suffers only from monotony. This is NOT negative just that
it needs a  great vocal  to not make the music seem repetitive. Bin you play great guitar & because its all the way through it gets taken for granted.  I think the mix is clean but warrants some excitement?
          If to stay as an instrumental....then HIGHLIGHT the sax...the guitar  & even the sound effects.
The beat & B-line is fine  & overall  It has a great feel to it.

Well done guys             Stylus:)

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2013, 05:59:52 AM »
Okay.... I didn't know what I thought, so as I listened, I read what everyone else thinks. 

1.  I think it would take a lyric just fine.  There are busy parts that one would avoid if writing a lyric... and the lyric would want to be sparse throughout and weave around the music.  But I think it would take a lyric just fine. 

2.  Didn't notice it until Tinam mentioned it, but the parts that were too busy to take a lyric were not the strongest part.

3.  The "monotony" that someone mentioned would be taken care of with a lyric and vocal treatment. 

4.  By the time I got done reading, listening, typing and thinking, I liked it a lot.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2013, 10:24:22 PM »

Hey Guys,

Thanks for taking your time to comment.  Much appreciated ;D ;D

I've got to admit, that a vocal has been tried with this, and we've decided against it.
   For the time being.  Although I do think, that, stripped back to the basics, it would suit a vocal.
   So it could still happen.....but then it would be completely different ;D ;D  I quite like it as it is,
   and yes.....I listen to it in the car, all the time.....good driving music ;D

Really pleased that you picked up on the bass sound Tina ;D ;D took me ages ;D ;D

Alan, your comment was much appreciated....in many ways ;D ;D  you're a gent.

Monotony:.....tedius, boring, routine.  Mmmmm, well, I know you meant it in a constructive way,
   But, I'm going to have to disagree with you on that one ;D ;D  If anything I see it as too busy...
   I consider myself a rhythm guitarist, and, as such, am very comfortable with monotony....In fact,
   I welcome it with open arms.....I seek it out ;D ;D ;D  Monotonous...this ain't ;D ;D

Joking apart guys, I really do appreciate all of your comments (even the monotony one) as I'm
   sure Dutch does......I KNOW he's out there ;D

Bear hugs for all xx

btw Digger, why the 23'rd century ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran