Song idea- better off that way

• 17 Replies

kingcornflake

• Busker
« on: March 24, 2012, 12:55:00 PM »
http://soundcloud.com/matthewdavid-5/better-off-that-way

This is just a small clip off a song I wrote with a country/acoustic vibe.

Hope you like...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:01:16 AM by kingcornflake »

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 01:00:14 PM »
like this ,has a good vibe, i think your vocal delivery is excellent though, potential for some heavy hitters there
Learner guitarist

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/

kingcornflake

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 01:03:58 PM »
Cheers. So you like my vocals on this track? Just that I'm trying different things.

Songsmith

• Solo Gig
  • If you can feel, you can write!!
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 05:00:59 PM »
Nice, but it sounds what it is, a clip from a longer song rather than a song that was written to be a max of 1.30. I like your voice too!!

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 10:26:30 PM »
considering how simple this was  i thought it was very effective... the story drove it & i liked your voice aswell
i think it would work perfectly as a short song if it wasnt for the way youve cut it abruptly..... if you could edit in a final chord there it would be perfect :)
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2012, 10:49:53 PM »
Hmm. I'm afraid this isn't to my liking. The vocal sounds odd, as if a voice is being "put on" rather than your normal singing voice. I could well be wrong but this makes it feel uncomfortable for me to listen to for some reason.

Yup it is cut badly at the end. It sounds like an editing issue rather than a musical choice.

The straight-four rhythm of the guitar and the straightforward drum pattern all make it feel somewhat simple. Not much to engage with for me.  The same reason I find bands like snow patrol dull listening.

It's not a bad performance or even a bad song, it just really doesn't resonate with me I am afraid. I can but be honest :-)

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

kingcornflake

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2012, 10:52:48 PM »
Thankyou for your comments :) this was an idea that I was asked to write and pitched for a full length song. I recorded it straight off just as an idea and then thought the first verse and chorus summed up the whole song, hence why I thought it would work as a short song And uploaded it straight away without tidying it up before hand, thats why it is under developed. Thanks again for your comments :) I really appreciate it :) x
« Last Edit: March 24, 2012, 11:02:54 PM by kingcornflake »

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 06:09:18 PM »
I like the song very much, simple, accessible nice vocal and melody - like it. DO you intend to make a more finished version? - hope so - would love to hear it. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

domj

• Open Mic
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2012, 06:19:28 PM »
Dunno, think it definitely needs another verse and chorus. Would be really nice to have a supporting instrument with it as well. What there is i think is very good but needs more.
Like the vocals and guitar but it cut short making me want more.

stickboymusic

• Open Mic
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2012, 10:23:15 PM »
This is right up my street - kinda reminds me of the decemberists...which is a good thing

I wanna hear more!

kingcornflake

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2012, 11:07:09 PM »
I will record the full song and re-post :) thanks again for your comments. :)

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #12 on: March 26, 2012, 06:17:24 PM »
look forward to hearing it. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

Alex Stevens

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 11:23:14 PM »
This certainly is a very catchy tune.  Both the verse and chorus are strong.  It may be an idea to change the backing, eg add a synth sound, in the second half of the verse to maintain the interest level.  I felt it was beginning to sound a little repetitive towards the end.  You'll also need a break somewhere in the full song.

In terms of the lyrics some work really well eg without a goodbye party or a see you again someday.  Excellent!
However I also have a few major issues.  First of all, you've repeated the word "away" and "day". (verse and later in the chorus).  I think you need to change this and have some alternative lyrics without "ay".  Also is "Father came" in the opening line "Father came but he ran away" OK?  What exactly does it mean?  One alternative may be " One night father ran away" and then you explain later on that he'd been absent previously?

Also some other words don't scan too well eg mother she had a breakdown,  turn those clocks back.

You also rhyme break down with handed down which sounds a little weak.

I thing you need to spend a bit more time looking at the lyrics and make sure they really fit the music well and there are  stronger good rhymes  Otherwise you'll diminish the impact of a very promising melody. Hope this helps,

Alex S

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2012, 12:49:55 AM »
I kinda liked it :) Timing is off and your vocals sound a little "not quite right at time although I do like the deep vocal idea.
I do like it though. It's simple like James says but the melody of the vocal sold it.
I do not think it should qualify as a short song entry like this though. It's obviously just a chopped bigger song  ;)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.