Stand My Ground

• 19 Replies

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« on: July 21, 2023, 08:38:30 AM »
Dear friends,

I was listening to 'There She Goes' by the La's a few weeks ago. Such an iconic, successful and popular song but yet so simple. There's hardly anything to it when you actually break it down. Its a catchy guitar riff and then three simple sections which each have their own memorable hook.

So it got me thinking and I set myself a challenge to try write something similar, and this is what I came up with. I 'think' it kind of fits the brief and whilst this song is not going to change the world, it may just become an ear worm if you hear it a few times :)

I’m gonna stand my ground, take my time and wait for you
And if I fall to pieces, stitch me up mend me with glue

I’m gonna stand my ground and take my time and wait for you
I’m gonna take my chances, break the rules and stay for you

And if I lose my head when I’m standing by the road
I do just what I want I don’t like to be told
Did you ever have a feeling that I’ll never go away
You’ll never get me back cos I’m determined to stay and

stand my ground, take my time and wait for you
I’m gonna take my chances, break the rules and stay for you

And if seem distracted and you don’t understand
I’m lost in concentration as I figure out a plan
Did you ever get a feeling that we’re living in a play
I’m gonna stay right here forever and a day and I will

Get out of this confusion
Wake of from this delusion
Oh yeah (oh yeah)
Oh yeah (oh yeah)
Oh yeah (oh yeah)
Oh Yeah

And all I can say, all I can do
All I can be, all that I choose

All that I want, all that I need,
All that I have, All that I feel

I’m gonna stand my ground, take my time and wait for you
And if I fall to pieces, stitch me up mend me with glue

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2023, 09:25:08 AM »
What a great track. Catchy right from the off. I can imagine this being a killer song live. I can hear a number of influences here. Nothing not to like here at all. The perfect power pop song - I love it. :)

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2023, 01:07:41 PM »
What a great track. Catchy right from the off. I can imagine this being a killer song live. I can hear a number of influences here. Nothing not to like here at all. The perfect power pop song - I love it. :)

Many thanks, @ChrisPrice - Yeah, I'd love to play it live. I've recently written 4 or 5 songs in a similar style with a view to putting a band together early next year all being well.

Fingers crossed it actually happens :)

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2023, 05:45:59 PM »
@Nick Ryder  Yep, you nailed the brief. This is a catchy pop anthem, agree it would be great live. Great chorus.

Kevin

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2023, 07:05:22 PM »
@Nick Ryder  Yep, you nailed the brief. This is a catchy pop anthem, agree it would be great live. Great chorus.

Kevin

@kevysc Thank you. Have a great weekend!!

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2023, 08:05:24 PM »
I like this
sounds authentic
at times it reminds of elvis costello

could have gone in a punk pop direction but it needn't

I like the call and response to the "oh yeahs" too.
nice one
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2023, 10:18:14 AM »
I like this
sounds authentic
at times it reminds of elvis costello

could have gone in a punk pop direction but it needn't

I like the call and response to the "oh yeahs" too.
nice one

Hi @rightly Thank you. Yeah, I've listened to a lot of Costello over the years so that's probably why :)

Sterix

• Platinum Album
  • Devil may care, I do not!
    • Sterix Rocks!
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2023, 10:42:06 AM »
Great song again, Nick. Can hear the La's influence from the off. Nice, simple, catchy.

5 guys named Lars

• Solo Gig
    • 5 Guys Named Lars- Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2023, 03:29:48 PM »
I think this is a super little song @Nick Ryder . Simple but very effective. Love the Smithsy guitar intro & the strong singing. The balance of the production is spot on. I like songs that don`t have a middle 8 & just chug along nicely without needing one. I listened to this a couple of times yesterday and can confirm its an earworm all right..was going round my head this morning. Nice work Nick. 

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2023, 03:58:22 PM »
Great song again, Nick. Can hear the La's influence from the off. Nice, simple, catchy.

Thank you. Really appreciate it!!

I think this is a super little song @Nick Ryder . Simple but very effective. Love the Smithsy guitar intro & the strong singing. The balance of the production is spot on. I like songs that don`t have a middle 8 & just chug along nicely without needing one. I listened to this a couple of times yesterday and can confirm its an earworm all right..was going round my head this morning. Nice work Nick.

Haha, brilliant. Job done :)

Thanks again.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2023, 04:20:11 PM »
Hey Nick, like the vocal arrangement here, makes the song even more interesting, nice change around 1.25 ish...agree with the anthemic comments, talented stuff mate.. 8)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2023, 02:15:01 PM »
Hey Nick, like the vocal arrangement here, makes the song even more interesting, nice change around 1.25 ish...agree with the anthemic comments, talented stuff mate.. 8)

@shadowfax Thank you so much. Someone once told me that you can never have too many backing vocals, so I do tend to go to town :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2023, 09:08:57 PM »
This is great @Nick Ryder Lovely melodic guitar and a great melodic top line. I love your use of call and response backing vocals too with some lovely indie guitar. It’s a feel good song for the summer 😊

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2023, 09:17:40 AM »
This is great @Nick Ryder Lovely melodic guitar and a great melodic top line. I love your use of call and response backing vocals too with some lovely indie guitar. It’s a feel good song for the summer 😊

Cheers, @pompeyjazz . Really appreciate you taking the time to listen and comment. Sometimes I'm in the mood to push myself and be too clever, but then other times I just like to write simple catchy tunes. I'm pleased that this seems to have fit the latter brief :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2023, 08:59:34 PM »
Abolute banger Nick.  I listened a week or two ago but didn't have time to comment then.  It was good sign that I could still remember the melody clearly before replaying it today - sure sign of that ear worm you mention.  That chorus melody is simple but delivers 100% and the middle 8 (get out of this confusion section) takes it to another level again.  This is an indie rock gem.
I've got to agree with you about 'There She Goes' by the way, it's just a perfect song isn't it?  Lightning in a bottle.
It's all too beautiful.