konalavadome

Spread My Wings and Fly

• 19 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2020, 04:10:41 PM »
Hi Vicki

Voice is sounding great again here. Harmonies are fab. Lyrics are very well put together and the backing provides the perfect support for them.

There's no stopping you, is there...you're like a force of nature.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2020, 09:14:19 PM »
Thank you, @digger72 . My bias for that oldies style always seems to show.

Thanks, @PaulAds . You always say such nice things. "...force of nature..." Makes me sound pretty powerful!  :o

I took this song to a class to be critiqued by a professional. The feedback was pretty good. Suggestions were to make the rhyme scheme consistent. And not to use "me" as a rhyme for itself (I missed that one). Kristine also vetoed the word "demons", so that was replaced with "fears". Kristine and I fixed those things and I re-recorded the lead vocal. Other suggestions were not to end it so abruptly and to use the bridge for a chorus after each verse. We did not make those changes. Not yet, anyway.

Thanks to everyone who's listened!

Vicki

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2020, 03:20:00 PM »
Hi Vicki,
It's hard to write to a brief and to fit that line in which you were wise to get out of the way straight away. The song's strengths for me lie in the melody and vocals and these are 2 of the fundamentals. Lyrics are fine also. Pretty good but not your best.
M

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: November 24, 2020, 05:41:47 AM »
Bravo Vicki............loved the way this built its way up.....especially when the harminies chimed in.
Lovely work..........really fun stuff!
                                                              -Tom
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #19 on: November 24, 2020, 03:52:51 PM »
Thank you @montydog 
When I first read the prompt, I had to wonder why they picked that sentence. I read it aloud over and over, thinking there was no way I could fit such a non-rhythmical line into something with rhythm. But you know what they say...there's always a way. Uh-oh, that sounds like it belongs in a song....  Anyway, now that I got it together, I can't even read that line anymore without hearing the rhythm in it.

I agree about the lyrics. Kristine and I went back and forth and struggled mightily with the words. I don't know Kristine--have never met her in person--so I don't know her standards. She seems to be happy with what we have, but maybe she's humoring me. And maybe she thinks the same thing about me--who knows? I do know I've never been happy, and no matter how hard we worked on it, some parts just seem...immature, I guess I would call it. I take refuge in the knowledge that many popular songs have worse lyrics. Not that I should. It's no excuse.

I am pleased you like the melody and vocals. Those parts are all mine. Thank you very much!

And thanks to you, too @IronKnee
I've been practicing with the building up of songs, because I know that's a thing. And I know I like it better that way. And I always love pulling together harmonies. These days it's a lot more of a challenge than it used to be, back when I sang with other people on a regular basis.

And thank you to everyone who listened! It's always a rush to know someone is hearing my music.

Vicki