konalavadome

Stand Down

• 23 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: May 13, 2017, 11:30:56 AM »
About 10 years back, I read a book - Crossing The Rubicon - by a guy called Michael C Ruppert ...and in the book, he opined that the failure in some quarters to adequately respond to the occurring events of 9/11 suggested that a "stand down" order had been issued. I couldn't possibly comment.

His work as an investigative journalist seemed to cause him much pain and sorrow.

https://soundcloud.com/thefuneralcrasher/stand-down

Stand Down

Those who met me
They won't forget me
But you’ve got to let me go
Understand
I've done all I can
I'm winding up the show

Stand down...

Don't be sorry
There’s a bigger story
And now we know their game
I don't feel danger
Got one in the chamber
They can't even say my name

Stand down, it's true
Stand down, I'm gonna stand down too

Leave it all behind me
Let the sheriff find me
And don't touch a single thing
There'll be some crying
And rumours flying
And then the birds can sing

Mike took his own life on 13th April 2014. There's a moving tribute from the wonderful Abby Martin here.

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2017, 04:13:35 PM »
I never knew of this man till you wrote this at FAWM & since then Im ashamed to say id forgotten him again ...but I suppose thats life bcos in the end you never know what to believe about anything so you choose to forget
Anyway this is a beautifully done tribute ..a lovely melody & I realy liked the understated organ..
I found it quite moving, with great lyrics.. I realy liked :
'I dont feel danger
Ive got one in the chamber'

& the last line
'And then the birds can sing'

I could hear this on a Jam album
Anyway you are our very own Matt Allwright & I can see you presenting Rogue Traders or Fake Britain but with live punk music & guest investigators Paul Weller & John Lydon  ;D
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2017, 06:10:04 PM »
This is excellent as usual Paul. A very sad story, sensitively handled. I do like the acoustic guitar on this one and your vocals are sounding particularly good. The background organ just gives that extra element to lift the song to another level. You always come out with quality stuff and your lyrics are always well thought out and stimulating. Top drawer stuff  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2017, 07:16:09 PM »
If I had been here earlier, I would have written exactly the same thing pompeyjazz wrote. The whole thing is great. The chord progression is so intriguing to me; the melody unexpected but totally suitable and fits perfectly. I noticed the organ and thought, "oh yes". You must still be doing your vocal exercises--your voice is better than ever, I think.

This is perfect...no nits.

Vicki

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2017, 08:41:28 PM »
Yo Paul.

As someone who firmly believes there is a surefire method for determining if our Lords and masters are telling us lies (their lips are moving) I'm an easy target for the subject matter in the song. I admire greatly those who chose to swim against the waters,often with crushing personal consequences,while the likes of myself applaud lazily from the relative safety of the sidelines.

There is nothing for me to critique or to suggest anything that may improve. The simple format conveys with conviction the unanswered questions posed in the lyric,while I could imagine no better suited set of pipes to sing the song than yourself Paul.

Thought provoking and entertaining,as always. A forum treasure are you.  8)

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2017, 07:56:56 AM »
Hello Paul!

I liked this one.
The lyrics are really good.
My favorite part of the song is the chorus. It really sums up the emotional
content of the song. But I'd like two more 'Stand down' in the first chorus.

Hearing a well performed song like this makes me want to spend more time
in the studio instead of just writing, drinking cafe au lait and smoking cigars.

Martin

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2017, 10:31:10 AM »
Thought this was really powerful and also elegant.  The line "got one in the chamber" really stops you in your tracks.  And the chord pattern is really interesting - especially the segway between the instrumental intro and the verse at 27 secs (are you changing key?  It really works).  I'd never heard of this guy but will look him up now (which I guess is mission accomplished for a tribute song).
It's all too beautiful.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2017, 12:15:25 PM »
really, really thrilling!
Halfway through I knew I'd have to listen to it again.

I remember the story and it did bother me at the time.
I'd often recall it when listening to folk, who, in denial, would try to convince me n' those present that all was as it seemed and the best information we had to go on was to be found in the mainstream media.

Very well written with a ruly noble sentiment behind it.
Songwriting doesn't get better thasn this!

excellent job!
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2017, 02:43:26 PM »
Really like it - especially the way you tell the story giving just enough to go on and without being obvious. Same goes for the melody - the first note of the verse is not at all where it could obviously be pitched and sets the tone for the rest.
Lots of organs being played on the forum at the moment - this one sounding really good (along with everything else!)

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2017, 05:45:58 PM »
Well...I wasn't expecting this!

Love the verses a lot...some nice melody in there and the lyric/phrasing/rhyme pattern etc as good as ever.

Chorus is simple and lends itself so well to being repeated...you could even have gone on longer at the end without overdoing it.

Love the way you've built the track too...guitar sounds sweet and that organ is nice!

Nice vocal too...distinctly PaulAds and in this mood very effective.
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »
No nits from me. Love the music & the lyrics are very well written. Nice harmonies lift the choruses the little bit that they need. Great job mate! ;D

Movin Flavour

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2017, 09:41:15 PM »
Beautiful song,

Great Lyrics "one in the chambers" so cleverly written.

Love the guitar playing and the background instruments.

Your voice has a raw emotive edge about it.

Sandeep

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 17, 2017, 01:50:24 AM »
Hey Paul

Quality all around on display here.
Love the vocals and chord progression - esp how it seems to jump up every verse.
Nice arrangement - good call on the abbreviated chorus teasing us first time around.

No nits from this neck o' the woods  ;D ;D

Paul

Graemepryce

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2017, 05:24:19 AM »
This is an interesting one!

It's genuinely different, without being a bit too 'out there' ( which I'm usually guilty of doing! )!

I was a bit thrown when the vocals started. I'm not sure if it was just because the voice wasn't really what I expected or if it was something else.

PROS - I really liked the dynamic feel of it and the arrangement. The lyrics are nice and not convoluted at all. I'm always happy with lyrics that get to the point, say what is meant and don't necessarily sacrifice meaning for the sake of rhythm or rhyme.

CONS - If I absolutely had to look for something to put here I would say that the vocals seemed a bit . . . odd. I'm not sure if it was the phrasing, the accent or maybe they were just very slightly out of tune occasionally? Possibly somebody with a more well trained ear would be able to elucidate slightly on what I mean.

Well done though, a good listen!

Yodasdad

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2017, 09:51:56 AM »
Loved the production and the subtle organ was a nice touch.

Really enjoyed the verses and at first I thought the chorus wasn't strong enough in comparison but.....the more I heard it return the better it sounded and I think I just needed to become familiar with it. Now writing this, it's stuck in my head so you've done something right.

Some cool chord changes thrown in really add to this song and keep things interesting.

Yodasdad