The White Man Come

• 20 Replies

Oldbutyet

« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2016, 09:52:26 PM »
Thanks John, Paul, Sandeep.

Really great reading on the feedback means a hell of a lot to me coming from fellow songwriters, I tip my hat to you all.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2016, 05:28:22 AM »
Thanks, Verlon...I wasn't sure if it was him or Phil Sheridan.

I love those old Hollywood movies where they try to construct a historical narrative to justify, gloss over or misrepresent some of the worlds most uncomfortable truths.

Great song...great topic too  :)

Hi Paul:   After I knowingly (and, as it turns out, wrongly) assigned the quote to Sherman, I looked it up when you mentioned Sheridan, and discovered that it WAS Sheridan.  I'd be more embarrassed if I weren't so accustomed to being wrong.  'o) 

AND.... not only that, but I can't find ANY justification for having said that it was Sherman who said they were the "finest light cavalry in the world."  It appears to be something that was fairly commonly said, and not necessarily attributable to anyone. 

AGAIN... If I wasn't so "experienced" at being wrong, I'd be embarrassed.  I appreciate your historical perspective and appreciate that I have two more things I can quit being wrong about.  ;o) 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

MartynRich

• Stadium Tour
    • Personal website
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2016, 03:37:53 PM »
I really like this. You have a great, original sounding voice which delivers really well in most of this, although as someone pointed out it is a little loud in the mix. The guitar playing is great as well.

It is up to you whether you put a bridge. It is a folky song so I don't think its 100% necessary but that is your decision. As for the chorus, I think the breathy parts sound more like backing vocals and you need something else over it. Or maybe the notes of the breathy parts could be turned into lyrics? As someone suggested comache, you could find the translation for "The white man come" and maybe use that?

Just ideas. Very nice song though!

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2016, 07:43:17 PM »
were you here 3 years ago under a different name? ....pat feely rings a bell?
i realy didnt know what to make of this.. at first it seemed like straight forward genocide but then things went a bit weird...i thought the 'huh huh huh' was odd ..i wasnt sure what that meant but when you sang 'salvation is the answer' in that kung fu fighting voice it had me screaming with laughter!
i am realy sorry if i shouldnt have laughed & i had no idea what your intention was at that point...but then it got serious again with people getting killed left right & centre & all the nations joining in
anyway musically i liked it... it was like some old protest song ...but a bit monty pythonish?
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

Oldbutyet

« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2016, 08:47:24 PM »
Thanks Martyn, yeah Toney idea about the Comanche language i think its a great idea, if i ever do get this song recorded properly then that something that will definitely be try, good to know you still had that hook in your head, glad you like it.

Tina what can i say, this is the second time today you made me laugh, kung fu fighting voice i love it  ;D i like to try something different in some songs i do just to get away from the usual singing as i said in another rely, i have another verse to this but the song was going on to boringly long so i left out one verse added in the kung fu fighting voice and kickass the chorus into huh huh huh huh  ;D

Yeah i was here before but i needed a break so i deleted a few accounts, thanks for making me laugh  ;D  ;D