konalavadome

Parody

• 5 Replies

RoisinFiona

• Busker
    • My Facebook Page
« on: June 14, 2013, 10:37:32 AM »
I have found it really useful to write songs 'in the style of' artists I love. They are sort of affectionate parodies. Usually a bit silly, and I have loads of fun doing it. I usually write them in about 5 minutes and sometimes come up with some wonderful lines to transfer to other, more serious songs.
I find it's amazing how quickly lyrics and melodies present themselves once I put myself in the mind of a songwriter I love.

I suppose there would be nothing to stop me recording some of these songs one day. They are a bit like a private joke, between me and any friends I decide to play them to, but perhaps to somebody unaware of the context in which they were written they would just sound like good songs!

Does anybody else do this? I've found it a very useful writing exercise.

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2013, 01:06:24 PM »
Not exactly like that,,,but i often write lyrics whilst listening to a song on YouTube...i might play it 7 times ..but i use the feel of the song to write a `similar` but not a copy of it..

So i don`t write over an existing structure,,but use it`s spirit ..i also write cold  from my imagination only :)

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2013, 07:29:13 PM »
Yes! Parodies make my life! I turned Firework by Katy Perry into a global warming song, Domino by Jessie J into a revision song and Paradise by Coldplay into a Katy Perry appreciation song (I was pretty proud of Katy Perrydise!) the only difference is mine'll never go to producers- they are WAY too jokey! A lot of fun to write though :D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 08:29:26 PM »
I'm not sure if I do the same thing per se but when trying to write a commercially viable piece I'll always have a style or perhaps a specific artist or two in mind and think 'what would they write?'. I then look at structure, melody, rhythm, tempo etc of their songs and build from there. I kinda put a rough vocal melody to them and then let my co-writing musicians work around this.

I guess in a highly competitive industry the trick is to look at what works and try to emulate that but with your on 'stamp' on it. Basically I think it's like re-inventing the wheel but adding a few more spokes or some flashy alloys etc to it :)

GTB

• Platinum Album
  • Valar Morghulis
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 08:37:44 PM »
With my band we often play songs in the wrong genre just for a laugh at parties etc; e.g. someone picks a song, someone else picks a genre (usually they are trying to make it hard for us) and we just have a go.  Ever heard a reggae version of Enter Sandman?
GTB
GTB

JW

• Busker
  • Mature, male songwriter, with publishing deal.
    • Songwriters And Producers
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2013, 10:26:28 AM »
Your idea of composing parodies is great.
When you write for other artists - you have to "tailor make" a song to suit them 100% - So copying their style and chords is a great help.
I've always done that.
I currently have a hit song in the stage musical "Dreamboats and Petticoats" and if you listen to it ( Crying Time Again - by Bobby And the Conquests)  the song is very similar to most of Buddy Holly's songs.
This was not a rip off - but a clever way of writing in his style - which is what the producer of the musical wanted.
This song has earned us over £15,000 since it came out on CD.
so keep basing your ideas on your favourite acts, then inject some original words and chords.
If you need help on home recording - I can point you in the right direction.
JW
www.songwritersandproducers.com