konalavadome

What Would Joe Have Done?

• 18 Replies

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« on: July 10, 2020, 09:25:15 PM »
hello

well...this isn't the cats knackers, by any means...and I posted a very early 1+1 version (but not in "finished songs") in February...but I did an updated version and expanded it a bit...

It came about after a comment my (long-suffering) wife made about telling our kids to at least give some consideration - in the future...when I'm long gone - to what their (much-maligned) dad might think about whatever dilemma they were chewing over...as I'm not really (always) the buffoon I (often) appear to be.

It followed on from a zoom chat where we'd discussed a great song that Karen (MonnoDB) had written for her daughter and a song Michael A wrote for his son. Mine was perhaps characteristically evasive or obtuse...so I pretended it was about what somebody famous (Joe Strummer, on this occasion) might have said/done...

I'll be away for a week or so on my holidays now...but any thoughts are always valued and welcome.

Deathly silence is also welcome, really.

What Would Joe Have Done?

What would Joe have done
Would he just turn and run?
When you needed someone
When the pressure was on

Joe would have done his best
Screwed up like all the rest

What would Joe have said
Would he have left you for dead?
When you've done all you can
And it still hits the fan

Joe would have said “You win
Whenever you don’t give in”

What would Joe have thought
Would he be as easily bought?
When you’d lost it all
And you were hitting a wall

Joe would have helped you see
It’s all up to you and me

What would Joe have found
If he’d still been around?
Joe would have known
That you're not on your own...

heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Sebandme

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2020, 07:35:22 AM »
@PaulAds this might sound really stupid but theres a ride cymbal going on in the intro and the instrumental between the first and second verse and i absolutely love it a lovely touch.....( that does sound stupid i know) love the song nice vibe! How do you get the drums sounding so amazing?

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2020, 07:42:52 AM »
Now we never knew you had a soppy side, ha ha!  ;) actually, given the revealed context it's a very sweet song and much the better for really being about your kids and you, not Joe Strummer. (Although Joe was a loss indeed). Your kids will like this, as it's touching without being overly sentimental, and has a gently comforting and inspirational message that's quite understated, and probably very much like you.

Good job finishing it off properly, a worthwhile bit of work!

I liked the softer tone to your voice and the organ main chord riff and then it's little spotlight section are great and help capture the songs reflective mood really well. All in all a really lovely song. But let's hope you've got a few years in you yet before this song becomes your user name and crashes your own funeral.  ;) So no misadventures on this holiday you're going on, no rock climbing or swimming in rough seas. Have a great time though!  :D

My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 11:26:06 AM »
unusual song from you :) sympathetically arranged and with your usual lyrical expertise..a good listen! :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2020, 12:09:31 PM »

Lovely song Paul ;D  Instantly memorable line "you win, when you don't give in".  I just love that ;D. Is that yours' ?  I'm going to use that a lot ;D ;D

Loved the groove, and the way the vocal was delivered was perfect...I was moved ;D ;D

Your star shines brightly in my musical world ;D ;D

Take care, stay safe..

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2020, 03:46:30 PM »
Hi
This really is another great song from you. Its got a lovely laid back groove but one that really drives the song along.The drums, guitar and bass are fantastic but the organ glues it all together and reaches new heights on the solo. Very sensitive and emotive lyrics as well.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 07:59:55 PM »
Love the crispy up-front drums!  And the organ!  Super.
I also really dig the way there is plenty of space around the words... you haven't tried to fill every inch with lyrics.
Lyrically it works perfectly... I like the way it is only about Mr Strummer if you know it is about him (and it works whether you know that or not).  I loved the couplet about doing his best but still screwing up like the rest... that's just great - stops it being too much of a hagiography while still showing your big respect for the man.
Super stuff Paul.
It's all too beautiful.

Bostonfan2

• Solo Gig
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2020, 12:21:00 AM »
Love the groove in this tune. it just grabs you, organ & drums are fab,
vocals deliver ! nicely done I like it :)

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2020, 09:56:55 AM »
@PaulAds - Here's my deathly silence.

Really spacey, like the organ, brings Costello to mind, you're on a roll at the moment Paul, everything is balanced in this one, subtle doubling of the Vox, everything just lovely.

I would have stopped the drums a little tighter, as a drummer would have wound it up, would sound less like a loop.

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 04:48:43 PM »
I really enjoyed the earlier version of this when I heard it back in February @PaulAds I love what you have done to it since. That organ is just perfect. Definitely a "less is more" type song. Top quality lyrics as we have come to expect. I though that this was absolutely knockout. Have a fab holiday  :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 05:07:41 PM »
Very clever lyrical concept @PaulAds, particularly the evolving chorus lines.. standout for me:

Joe would have said “You win
Whenever you don’t give in”

...and with the context, a really sweet song.. I too loved the vocal delivery and the arrangement / playing spot - organ a lovely touch bringing it all together...

Have a fab holiday!

K

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2020, 09:50:18 AM »
I love the title!

I really like this a lot: there is a lovely unhurried pacing that moves along nicely. Love the organ, love the vocal, love the way the melody develops.

Pure class ....

Kevin

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 04:25:18 AM »
This is one of absolute favorites of yours! No nits from me. I love it!! I would say more, but I would just repeating all the nice things everyone else has said so far. So just read them again.  ;D

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 05:32:19 PM »
A much warmer sound for you Paul.  You seem to have embraced a little of Roddy Frame in the mix too.  Some lovely bruised chords thrown in their too to spice things up a little.  You know I'm a big fan of your work.  This is a lovely addition to your collection, all the better for the lovely organ interlude.  Man, 'What would Joe have thought?  I'm sure he would be approving of this lovely gem of a song!

Paul

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2020, 02:46:47 PM »
Having really liked the first version, it took me a while to appreciate this one. But the organ is a really great addition, deserving of its own show-off section.
I wondered if the drums could have a bit of a different sound / pattern in the breakdown, but that was my only question really.
Love the concept and it's really a unique and thought-provoking piece. Outstanding stuff.