First Night! BARE BONES COMP!

• 22 Replies

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2016, 05:40:20 PM »

romantic candle lit groove.. slight latin feel
like your vocals and the changes especially the ‘meet you in this lifetime..’ sequence
i get the csny and mommas and s&g
flutes a nice surprise
enjoyed this
fine work suzicris
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Buc McMaster

• Open Mic
  • Old School.
« Reply #16 on: August 05, 2016, 06:13:24 PM »
Very nice!  Bouncy and floating along like the sea.  Nice harmonies!  Well arranged and performed in all regards  -  I like it!

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2016, 10:27:59 AM »
Yeah, very folky and 60-ish.
Nice harmonies and your voices works well together but personally I find it a bit to much to have two singers all the way through. Would have prefered more of a duet style or some other way to save the harmonies to really lift certain parts.
Other than that all is good, performance, recording (the added sounds really add to the mood) and production.

Wolfini

• Solo Gig
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2016, 08:15:22 PM »
Cool! Quite a departure from your other songs, but it totally works for me. The oh so happy lyrics get softened (hardened?) by the slightly disharmonic vocals and other aspects, so the overall sweetness level does not get excessive.

Good luck for the comp!

Bye Wolfi
Finished albums: wolfgangn.bandcamp.com
Recent songs: soundclick.com/wolfini

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #19 on: August 11, 2016, 08:42:05 PM »
I always like to listen to happy songs, songs that celebrate the good things in life, as it seems to me there's enough negativity and depression around without having it reinforced in art. (Before anyone says anything, I know there is a legitimate place in art for negative subjects, but they still aren't my favorite).

I think the perky melody suits the lyric well, and I like the harmony in the voices, supporting the harmony between people expressed by the lyric. And like someone else mentioned, sometimes the harmonies are a little discordant, which is just perfect! No matter how compatible two people are, there are always episodes when they don't see eye to eye.

Therefore, an excellent lyric and very suitable melodic setting. My only nit may be 100% due only to me and my limited listening skills...  With this subject matter, I think a song should be smooth and effortless sounding, but to me it sounded kind of, I'm not sure how to describe it...maybe "jerky"? No, that's too harsh. It's kind of like an "uncertainty" of where it's going next, a sense of "not sure". Not quite smooth, but maybe "ripply". And maybe that's not a bad thing, anyway.

So, like I said, maybe it's just me, and it really isn't there at all. It does have a fragile quality about it, which I do like.

Vicki

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #20 on: August 12, 2016, 11:04:33 PM »
Thanks so much for all the lovely comments guys :) This song usually goes over quite well, when

we play it live, but wasn't sure how it would be received, as a recorded song, so I'm very happy  :-\

Thanks again  :) :)

tboswell

• Platinum Album
« Reply #22 on: August 14, 2016, 09:51:19 AM »
Gorgeous stuff, lovely chord movement. The thing has a really natural feel about it, nothing forced and the story itself has a natural "bare bones" honesty to it that draws in the listener.

Enjoyed is hugely :-)

Tom.