Songwriter Forum > Feedback on Works in Progress

the 4 track song

<< < (2/3) > >>

tboswell:
Really cool little project Kev! Really the song and the sound takes me back, the wowing, the hiss at the end. I guess sometimes the limitations are the things that really help us be creative, forcing us out of our comfort zone to make something new (or old!). Great stuff!

I always go back to Bruce Springsteen on this, one of his finest records Nebraska, was demoed at home on 4 track but he didn't quite like the band recordings they made afterwards. He dumped them and released the 4 track demos as the record, at it is really amazing. Shows that artistic bravery he is not always given credit for.

@PaulAds

--- Quote from: PaulAds on May 20, 2019, 08:40:29 PM ---hearing this makes me pine a little for the simplicity of yesterday...

--- End quote ---
WTF! I remember it being crazily complicated, all that bouncing and playing live while you bounce. It added a strange element of planning and frisson on danger we don't have any more

shadowfax:

--- Quote from: tboswell on May 21, 2019, 09:36:04 AM ---Really cool little project Kev! Really the song and the sound takes me back, the wowing, the hiss at the end. I guess sometimes the limitations are the things that really help us be creative, forcing us out of our comfort zone to make something new (or old!). Great stuff!

I always go back to Bruce Springsteen on this, one of his finest records Nebraska, was demoed at home on 4 track but he didn't quite like the band recordings they made afterwards. He dumped them and released the 4 track demos as the record, at it is really amazing. Shows that artistic bravery he is not always given credit for.

@PaulAds

--- Quote from: PaulAds on May 20, 2019, 08:40:29 PM ---hearing this makes me pine a little for the simplicity of yesterday...

--- End quote ---
WTF! I remember it being crazily complicated, all that bouncing and playing live while you bounce. It added a strange element of planning and frisson on danger we don't have any more

--- End quote ---

Yeah, it certainly wasn't simple, made my head ache! like i mentioned in another post, if you just use 4 tracks and only 4 instruments then I s'pose it would be simple but then rather restrictive..

Bill Saunders:
Makes me grateful for all my toys! I honestly don't know if I'd have had the patience to record like this back in the day. It's a beautiful song that deserves the modern treatment because the extreme wow and flutter makes it a novelty/experiment rather than a great listen.

PaulAds:
Pah...you crazy perfectionist types  :)

I saw the ramones at the Mayfair ballroom in Newcastle a hundred years ago. 4 blokes, so just 4 tracks...and the only bouncing was the crowd.

I have to be honest...i could only really hear four tracks in this...or I felt like that was all you really needed. That was why I thought about doing it that way.

The quality on my old fostex x30 was fine, but bouncing tracks to free up stuff for extra bits always proved such a ball-ache, I rarely bothered unless I thought it was necessary... Which i hardly ever did.

In another thread, Kev mentioned the beatles and I was struck by the let it be naked album... Whereby the band wanted to cut all the multitrack bobbins out and get back to basics.

Comparing the two versions of the long and winding road is, to me, I think, a perfect example of how much better it sounded without all the (Phil Spector?) twaddle clagged on to it.

I saw part of a supertramp concert the other night...it looked like there were about 14 of them...and they all looked like 1970s geography teachers...i only saw a few seconds of it because the remote control for the TV was about a yard away from me. I daresay they were excellent etc but I couldn't be tossed with them and their overblown masterpieces.

Sorry...wemt off on one there a bit.

I like it as simple as possible, really. Life's too short.

PaulAds:
And I thought that bouncing things around was too much of a compromise for the absolutely vital main elements of guitar, bass and drums that I believe rock and roll is essentially all about.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version