konalavadome

Risen - Dutchbeat style!

• 18 Replies

Kafla

« on: October 28, 2011, 04:48:56 PM »
Some of you may remember the song I posted called Risen http://soundcloud.com/andrewcruse/risen-1

Mr Dutchbeat decided to have a go at mixing it - his main aim was to try and show me how he would mix the vocals

This is his mix , with Mrs DB on joint vocal duties - with a brilliant video featuring a host of Hollywood extras ;D

&list=UL

Thanks again Mr Dutchbeat ;D

jmacdon

• Solo Gig
  • Give me a lyric and I'll give you a song
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2011, 10:26:06 PM »
wow - what a difference. 

This is the dilemma faced by most songwriters.  We may write and record a demo showcasing our song - but which lacks the panache and wow factor that airplay providers demand.  Herein lies the power and influence of the producer!  I'm a novice with Logic and record and produce my tracks using only the most basic functions.   But pass the track on to a professional (or competent) producer and they will work wonders and turn the song around.

So once again, I ask the question - do we judge songs (posted on this forum) on the underlying quality of the lyrics and melody?  Or do we judge it on the polished performance?

Kafla

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2011, 10:56:54 PM »
Hi John,

After going round in circles on this one I have come to the conclusion that I personally need to critique what is presented - eveything - lyrics ,melody and the production.

I think we just need to pay attention to all these aspects in equal proportion.

Many members have now had a go at mixing my songs , so much so that I now feel I have the weapons to produce tentatively myself ( I will post the results here soon)

The main thing is to keep enjoying the craft and striving to get a little better every time.

Best wishes my friend

Andy

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2011, 12:07:02 AM »
This is an amazing transformation Kaff, after following your songs for a while i can tell the difference, no disrespect to you, your singings great anyway but it just sounds like an album track, well done both of you.
Learner guitarist

Kafla

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2011, 07:25:26 AM »
Cheers Jim

I know exactly what you mean and thanks for  reviewing  ;)

Dutchbeat

« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2011, 04:58:49 PM »
Jmacdon and Jim,

thanks for your comments!

I don't think i added much or did a very good job on mixing it, but the song from Kafla is extremely original and I loved working on the video and mix. Over here in the Netherlands, Kafla is starting to make several fans!

Kafla

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2011, 05:18:24 PM »
Hey Dutchbeat!

Have listened to this several thousand times now - for me your mix really has some subtle beauty - you have stripped back a lot of the sounds but it sounds a lot more authentic for it.

My vision of this song was The Small Faces but this is starting to remind me of John Lennon, anyway its a pleasure working with you and the video is amazing!

Dutchbeat

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2011, 12:03:02 PM »
Hi Kafla,

it is a bit you and me talking back and fourth here, but you mentioned John lennon...
i never mind a comparison like that  ::) but you are the writer of this song... ;D
so well done to you!

TunSongs

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2011, 11:45:07 PM »
If you don't mind me interrupting your conversation, Kafla and Dutchbeat...

I would just like to say that I really like this song - both versions.

It's got a very strong melody and very spiritual, thought provoking lyrics.
It's also very produced.

Is there a story behind the lyrics?

Justin

Kafla

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2011, 08:30:05 AM »
Thank you Justin,

My wife decided to become a catholic at the Easter vigil 4 years ago. She decided to do this completely off her own back. I was a catholic from birth but had fallen away from religion.

I was so proud of her and her baptism reawakend my own spirituality - I do not accept anything very easily and began to read and watch a lot of material regarding religion and faith - all religions - obsessively.

Even though I am not sure about a lot of things I am now an active member of the church and it has greatly enhanced my life.

I love her , amongst other things ! for giving me this gift.

Thank you for noticing the lyrics and showing an interest in them, that makes me really happy.

Andy

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2011, 01:13:45 AM »

Kafla
Beautiful song, absolutely. 
Really like the voice.
Mr Dutchbeats brought a lot out, highlights your vocal, almost feel the undercarriage wheels come up....and that final keyboard wave is a killer
long live the whooosh

Nooms

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

TunSongs

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2011, 10:40:20 AM »
Hi Andy

Thank you for sharing the background to your song. You captured it really well in your lyrics.

Good for you wife and what a perfect mass in which to become a catholic. What does she think of this song?
My wife and I are also catholics from birth but she is becoming increasingly disillusioned with church and wants to leave.

Great song. Keep up the good work.

Justin

Kafla

« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 04:22:15 PM »
Great review Nooms - cheers ;)

Sometime you need to go away Justin to come back, I have a great little life at the church - weird as it sounds I get a great deal of satisfaction helping the older members of the congregation ( I am a a pass keeper )

Relgion also fascinates me greatly - its almost as if it's programmed into humanity - whether we believe or not we have all had those spooky , unexplicable moments where we feel something greater.

Who knows  ???

kicked

• Open Mic
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2011, 07:47:50 PM »
Hello Kafla
                What a great thing to do, letting Dutchbeat take one of your songs for remixing. I bet you were anxious and excited?

What a difference a video makes also, He really did a fabulous job....great vocals,and so much more spacious...also have to say your vocals
                  on the original are powerful.....you do have a big voice, with a lot of presence..

fab stuff
                                              Kicked

Kafla

« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 06:41:41 AM »
Hey Roo

You have nothing to Lose and everything  to gain!

Listen to this if you get time , Being Human produced by Pablo http://snd.sc/vcV21B

Andy