konalavadome

Old For New

• 57 Replies

Wicked Deeds

« on: September 23, 2023, 09:39:06 AM »
I thought I'd ask if anyone is up for a competition, (more of an exercise really, as I hate to go head-to-head with other writers and have a voting system which defines one song as being better than another).

I'm going to find time this weekend to resurrect a song that I'm really proud of but know that I didn't do justice to the first time around.  My plan is to add guitar or guitars, real bass instead of bass that was played on a keyboard, perhaps one or two more bells and whistles and I'll then remix. 

Would there be any interest from forum members to perhaps do the same with one of their compositions? I think perhaps the forum would benefit from some kind of shared activity like this, whereby members direct their creative energy toward something that we could all participate in.  We'd also get to hear some of the great work that members present and is perhaps long forgotten.

Please respond to this post if there is any enthusiasm for this idea.

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2023, 10:03:20 AM »
Hi Paul, @Wicked Deeds Strangely enough I've just revisited a song that I wrote in 2015 but I've learned a lot since then so totally re-recorded everything yesterday and just finishing it off now - Yes, a great idea  :)

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2023, 11:45:28 AM »
Hi Paul,

since I only started this a couple of years ago, I'd don't really have much which qualifies for this I'm afraid!! Great idea though and I'll look forward to hearing everyone's efforts!!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2023, 12:19:07 PM »
With John, @pompeyjazz and I we have two people ready to take on the challenge.  Hopefully one or two people will be tempted to join us.

Come on, sign up for this. let's get this up and running!

Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2023, 07:01:54 PM »
@Nick Ryder, haven't you got an old unrecorded song that you could work your magic on? I love for you to be involved in this.

Today I've been working on a song called 'Sing.' I once asked an old lady why she was crying. She told me that she loved to sing but couldn't remember the words. I encouraged her to sing Edellweiss with my help. Dementia is so cruel. I wrote 'Sing' in response to this experience. It was as if the Devil was engaged in stealing the words and music to this beautiful song.

I've addressed several aspects of the initial recording and am happy with what I have achieved.

I'd love one or two others to join in here.

Paul

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2023, 07:50:32 AM »
@pompeyjazz, John, what are you reworking?  It doesn't look like there is much enthusiasm but I'll keep asking others to join in.

Paul

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2023, 07:54:34 AM »
@Wicked Deeds Hi Paul - It's a song called "People" that I originally wrote in 2015 the day after the Bataclan attack. The initial recording was not too good as I had just got into using a DAW - I've totally reworked it and re-recorded etc etc - Just finished it actually  :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2023, 07:56:24 AM »
What I will say is that the established arrangement is so entrenched in my brain that it's very difficult to add new parts for fear of losing the essence of what has gone before.  I've replaced bass, panned differently, eq'd instruments and mainly compressed the vocal.  What has your plan been John @pompeyjazz?

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2023, 08:08:25 AM »
@Wicked Deeds I Completely replaced everything apart from a couple of synth sounds that I liked. Re programmed the drums, played a different bass and guitar part. re-recorded the vocals, mixed with the knowledge that I have acquired since the first recording. Fascinating to do and to see what I was doing back in 2015 !

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2023, 09:13:55 AM »
@pompey Jazz

My track is from a similar time John.  I've been editing the vocal as it clips in places.  It's a delicate job to get the balance right.   I don't want to lose the emotion that i might not recapture if I sing it again.

I'm trying to add one or two new parts without changing it too much.  I think perhaps it would have been easier to write a whole new song.

Nick Ryder

• Solo Gig
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2023, 10:16:39 AM »
I'm in!! Watch this space :)

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2023, 11:20:54 AM »
That's brilliant news Nick.  We now have @pompeyjazz, @Wicked Deeds and @NickRyder. All are welcome,! let's make this something to look forward to.  I believe activities like this really bring the forum together. 

I'm starting to tame the beast that is my entry "Sing".  The power is immense. It is very satisfying to take something that you cared for and give it a shiny new suit of clothes.

Paul

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2023, 03:17:24 PM »
Interesting thread, I've just put an old reworked song on the forum but I think I actually made it worse, I don't like going back to old songs though I can see why it could be a good thing when you have new knowledge and experiance, but as you mentioned it's difficult if not impossible to capture what was happening at the time of inception of a song... @Wicked Deeds

Best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #13 on: September 24, 2023, 03:29:21 PM »
@shadowfax,

totally get that Kevin,

This morning, I thought I had a fantastic mix. This afternoon, it's back to the drawing board. Still, if we get enought interest in this project, I'll post it and include my thoughts, both good and bad. It would be great for you to join in here and do the same. It would make the thread more interesting to hear your thoughts on what you've done with your song, including your subsequent disappointments. I may be joining you if I can't balance the new mix.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 03:44:43 PM by Wicked Deeds »

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: September 24, 2023, 04:02:42 PM »
8 entrants would be quality but I'd settle for 5.  We could all share our experiences/ideas.  I reckon it would make for interesting reading. We could have a new track every 4 or 5 days to give the track in spotlight, time for discussion to develop and help that track gain a little bit of attention.

Come on Kevin @Shadowfax, join in.  it would be great to include your track and help this competition gather a little pace.

Paul
« Last Edit: September 24, 2023, 04:04:42 PM by Wicked Deeds »