konalavadome

writing and selling lyrics

• 6 Replies

steffanovic

• Busker
« on: September 08, 2014, 11:34:55 PM »
I've been writing so many lyrics over the years. I've come to a point that I would love to sell them and make money.
I still want my own band too but in first I want to know what would be the best way to approach the right people in order to have them sold and get royalties for them?

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2014, 11:49:00 PM »
I would say that without a solid track record of recent commercial hits your chances of making money from selling lyrics would be very limited.

I think your best chance would be to collaborate with other writers/artists and share the royalties - build up your profile as a lyricist and try to work with people who you think you can learn and improve from.

steffanovic

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2014, 12:01:48 AM »
Thank you so much,

how would you best to that on this forum. Posting lyrics and looking for collaborators?

How could you build your profile over here?

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2014, 12:10:24 AM »
No worries. Maybe put up some of your lyrics In the Lyrics section and see what feedback you get from people. Be sure to ask for feedback and whether others are looking for colabs.

I know there are a lot of people who HATE writing lyrics.

Best of luck!
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 12:12:17 AM by Onelabel »

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2014, 01:14:22 AM »
If you sell them you won't get royalties !

steffanovic

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2014, 08:50:50 AM »
selling or getting royalties, that's something we should see later on.
Are your lyrics protected when you put them online on a website?

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2014, 09:38:56 AM »
selling or getting royalties, that's something we should see later on.
Are your lyrics protected when you put them online on a website?

If you sell them,if you walk away from any copyright claim ,you will not get any royalties...the only other alternative is to publish/co-write and then you will receive royalties if they  get picked up.

'are your lyrics protected when you put them online on a website' ..... yes to a certain degree, with or without a formal copyright attached...i personally no longer submit lyrics..because i have a strict writing filtering system now..so i only develop ideas that i think are of a professionally high standard...so i'm not putting them out there to be used by others.....

In truth you can't sell lyrics.....good lyrics will attract an offer of collaboration from someone..then you have a song...a much better product to hawk.