Cell Phone Junkies....Summer Comp!

• 33 Replies

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 30, 2017, 03:11:17 AM »
Hi guys,
Well, I think I'm squeaking in, just in the nick of time with my summer comp song  :o
I'm still working on the mix, so please feel free to give me some advice...in any area ::)
I know there are a lot of effects on the vocals...can you understand them for the most part?
Sorry I haven't been around much this last year, but I've been dealing with a rather serious health issue, but I'm on the mend now :)
Thanks to the guys who are running this comp, and all the wonderful songs that have been submitted :)

https://soundcloud.com/crystalsuzy/cell-phone-junkie

The lyrics are posted on soundcloud  :) :) CS
« Last Edit: July 05, 2017, 11:33:58 AM by crystalsuzy »

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2017, 10:34:53 AM »
Wow Crystalsuzy, feels like this beamed in from an alternate universe where they are having a GOOD TIME.  If the B52s, the Pixies and a brass band formed a supergroup, this is the kind of song they'd aspire to create.  Loads of whacky touches like the slippery tempo your ears can never quite hang on to, some nicely sinister surf guitar licks, that brass, and the electronic flourishes.  No one could accuse you of playing it safe with this one!  Lotsa fun.
It's all too beautiful.

LostBoy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2017, 12:07:18 PM »
Wonderful craziness as always Suzy.  ;D

It took me a couple of listens to "get it"...It's a grower. There's sooo much going on that it's hard to take it all in initially, there's nothing wrong with that, in fact that's what I love about it. It's sooo out there and different. So great job!

There are some lead vocal parts that are MUCH louder than others & im sure u know what they are,as they're, well..much louder. ;D

Great stuff mate & goodluck in the comp. :D

Kristupas

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2017, 01:06:11 PM »
It's so funny and crazy at the same time.
It reminds me of those movies, with flashback to childhood, in playground,
and some person is literally going crazy.

"We’re cell phone junkies, dut da da dut da!"

Funny play with the lyrics and melody.
the 'dut da... 'part reminded me of some 60's advertisement, but I'm not sure what.

And that is an interesting vocal arranging choice - verses EQ'ed in telephone mode, and chorus - clean.
Fits well with the theme "cellphone junkies".

Definitely gave me crazy emotions :)

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2017, 03:04:46 PM »
Hey Suz.

Loads of stuff going on here,a multi layered aural feast which takes many listens to fully appreciate.

Sort of The Flying Lizards meet St.Vincent.  :D

A sinister nursery rhyme on acid,while tipping the hat to Mungo Jerry. It's light,it's dark,it's twisted so far it's straight again.

It's a busy,busy song and you sure packed it all in.

I'm out of descriptions!  8)

Martinswede

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2017, 11:09:09 AM »
Great song!
A nice mixture of creativity and nonsense. Just as a summer song should be!

Martin

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2017, 12:29:46 PM »
Hi CS, B52's meets Zappa, meets Flo and Eddie. Inventive, interesting and bonkers!
Don't know what else to say ???
Cheers
Jamie

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2017, 10:15:43 PM »
Well there is certainly a lot of that about. I was reading today that a study has identified that people are walking differently due to looking at their phones all the time and in China they are installing special phone Walker lanes with signs on the floor such as "main road ahead" WTF!  Anyway,  this is a wondefully clever piece as we have come to expect from you. Yes a few mix issues to be resolved but I loved it  :)

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2017, 03:26:36 AM »
Wow! This is cute and so current! It's absolutely perfect. I can just see a beach full of people, all looking at their cell phones and paying no attention to anyone or anything around them.

I love the changes in sound and feel from time to time. It seems to support a disconnect with reality one might experience as a cell phone junkie.

One spot feels slightly weak to me and might benefit from more though--the line "Taking lots of pictures, and recordings too". I wonder if the last part "and recordings too" could be improved somehow?

Other than that, though, this is one I find thoroughly enjoyable and perfect for the times.

Vicki

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2017, 10:30:20 AM »
Wow Crystalsuzy, feels like this beamed in from an alternate universe where they are having a GOOD TIME.  If the B52s, the Pixies and a brass band formed a supergroup, this is the kind of song they'd aspire to create.  Loads of whacky touches like the slippery tempo your ears can never quite hang on to, some nicely sinister surf guitar licks, that brass, and the electronic flourishes.  No one could accuse you of playing it safe with this one!  Lotsa fun.
Thanks PaulX! I guess you might be right about an 'alternate universe' with this one, because that's what it feels like to me when I'm around young people, who are constantly on their phones ::)
I was going for a B52's vibe, so glad you picked up on that, but I like the addition of the Pixis and
brass band ;D I wasn't sure if the changes in tempo would be too much, but I went for it anyway ::)
Glad you liked it :)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2017, 10:39:15 AM »
Wonderful craziness as always Suzy.  ;D

It took me a couple of listens to "get it"...It's a grower. There's sooo much going on that it's hard to take it all in initially, there's nothing wrong with that, in fact that's what I love about it. It's sooo out there and different. So great job!

There are some lead vocal parts that are MUCH louder than others & im sure u know what they are,as they're, well..much louder. ;D

Great stuff mate & goodluck in the comp. :D
Thanks LB! I always seem to put to much stuff into my songs than I probably should, but I can't seem to help myself :o maybe I'm ADHD ;D
thanks for the heads up on the louder vocals....I didn't notice until I listened on someones speakers...I always mix on my headphones, and for some reason, I sometimes I just don't pick up on stuff ::)

crystalsuzy

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2017, 10:49:53 AM »
It's so funny and crazy at the same time.
It reminds me of those movies, with flashback to childhood, in playground,
and some person is literally going crazy.

"We’re cell phone junkies, dut da da dut da!"

Funny play with the lyrics and melody.
the 'dut da... 'part reminded me of some 60's advertisement, but I'm not sure what.

And that is an interesting vocal arranging choice - verses EQ'ed in telephone mode, and chorus - clean.
Fits well with the theme "cellphone junkies".

Definitely gave me crazy emotions :)

LOL< Kristupas ;D I hope it didn't drive you crazy ::) The whole cell phone epidemic is definitely crazy from my point of view, but I wanted to make this funny as well, so I'm glad you felt that :o
That's great that the telephone vocal effect in the verses, and the clean choruses, worked for you :)

PaulAds

• Stadium Tour
  • Haemorrhaging Enthusiasm
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2017, 11:12:27 PM »
Ha Ha  :D

what can i say?

it sounds all dipsy and scatterbrained but it absolutely isn't...it's a riotous chunk of fun with a great message behind it all...

just made me realise how much fun you bring to the forum and how i miss your songs when you are away

You're an original.
heart of stone, feet of clay, knob of butter

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2017, 02:08:03 AM »
Hey CS

Well I loved this song's guts  ;D
Love the many changes in groove/tempo.
So much work to pull off - but you make it seems easy.
This will be in the next Apple ad, and if it isn't it should have been!
Great entry - thummer thellfone craythyneth  !!
You do Canada proud  ;D ;D - good luck in the beach race.

Paul

IronKnee

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #14 on: July 06, 2017, 03:56:29 AM »
Talk about cute!! cool song.......a real fun song to listen to.
Good luck in the summer fun comp.
I'll be looking for ya!
                                      -T
"I know the truth, by my struggle against it"
                                                          -IronKnee