Baring Gifts - Beginner's Work In Progress - Feedback Please

• 5 Replies

Cameron F

• Busker
« on: February 23, 2014, 04:30:52 AM »
'Reet, this is like my second tune, most of the time I find the music is more important than the words and work on a chord sequence and melody and then fit some words in. But I thought I'd try writing some words on their own and to be honest it's a bit of a shambles, there's no order, like chorus, verses and that. It's just alot of rhyming couplets. Though it does still have a meaning in it, to me, it's about wanting to be a better,happier person and finding yourself. But still, I'd like some feedback on whether or not any of it is any good and whether or not I should just scrap it. Cheers.

Your life lay in pieces,
It was your turn,
The reaper had come,
To watch you yearn.

All the good times,
They lay in the past,
These 10 years or so,
Have gone so fast.

The courthouse of life,
Your friends are all there,
You stand in the doorway,
What gifts will they bare?

Your family and comrades,
They stand all aware,
They don't show concern,
They don't even care

The shock of the light,
You’re sat in your car,
Is it worth the fight?.
Do you know who you are?

Are you doing good,
Through life’s twists and bends?
Is it too late?
For friendships to mend

If this day was your last,
Would you let it all slip away?,
Would you drag up the past,
Or live for the day?
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 05:51:09 AM by CFCity »

tokenangmoh

• Solo Gig
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2014, 10:09:12 AM »
Hello and welcome.

This looks quite singable and I like the direct, communicative language and the succinct imagery such as "The shock of the light".

I think at the start there you may have let the rhyme interfere with the meaning... Surely the reaper has come to kill him? Why would the reaper be interested in watching him yearn? And what would that look like anyway?

Right now this appears to be a strophic piece, which can work - but perhaps it might benefit from a chorus? That would also help you crystallise the theme.

By the way do check out the forum rules, which will tell you about introducing yourself, posting limits, where to post things, etc. For example, you posted this in the "Works in Progress" forum, but without music, it would be better in the "Lyrics" forum.

Also by the way, I think you mean "bearing", not "baring". If you do mean bearing - which is certainly possible - I can't see how you're communicating that meaning.

Hope that helps and that you stick around and start reviewing the work of others.

Matt

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2014, 10:47:03 AM »
Welcome to the forum CFCity,

I like the words, no need for a chorus or a refrain for me. Lots of great songs are just verses.

The only rhyme I thought was forced was yearn. I got the feeling from the song that it was about somebody coming to terms with their past, were they loved or not by friends and family and could they change to become a better person. The words reminded me a bit of Listen Up by Oasis. "Take me up to the top of the world etc. In which case "learn" may work better than "yearn".

Is CFCity a football (or soccer if you're from the US) club?

diadem 

Cameron F

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2014, 12:03:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, and to answer your question diadem, CF are my initials and City is as in Manchester City. And I'm glad you compared it to Listen Up, because that's the kind of thing I was going for, like a birdseye view of life and that.
And yeah, being new to the forum I'm just getting the grip of where everything goes.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2014, 12:13:37 PM by CFCity »

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2014, 12:43:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback, and to answer your question diadem, CF are my initials and City is as in Manchester City. And I'm glad you compared it to Listen Up, because that's the kind of thing I was going for, like a birdseye view of life and that.
And yeah, being new to the forum I'm just getting the grip of where everything goes.

Are you coming to the KC on the 15th of March?

Cameron F

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2014, 12:58:17 PM »

Are you coming to the KC on the 15th of March?

Naa I won't be going to that game.