Wrong Side Of The Fight

• 20 Replies

Harbidge

• Busker
  • keep keepin' on, aint that the truth.
« on: April 01, 2012, 09:21:27 PM »
Hello all.  Its been a while since ive been on here but ive been writing and recording an Album James Clay "Breaking The Spell" out on 2nd April.  The song is "Wrong Side Of The Fight" (grew a beard for it too)

I wrote, recorded and mastered the whole album (the first time I have done it all) If any one has any questions about how I recorded etc please feel free.

Hope you like it

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 11:33:25 PM »
hiya harbridge
great track, kinda old school in a good way,
reminds me of steve forbet , lots of energy, great vocals

be nice if you could review a few folks on here and you'll get a fair response im sure
good luck with the album
all the best,
nooms
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

jim morrison

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:54:27 PM »
Really like this, great vibe and superb video skills
Learner guitarist

Harbidge

• Busker
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 08:12:20 AM »
Hi.  I'm going to get back on the review trail tonight :)

Yeah I love jackson Brown and all that late 60s mid 70s Americana so the old school comparison is more than fair.  I haven't heard of Steve Forbet but I will deffo check him out, thanks for the tip.

As for the video, it was fun to make. Very hard miming and walking around at a very slow speed.  Fun tho.

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:21:15 PM »
Hey :)

I have to say it wouldn't normally be my cup of tea but it's a well written song with a catchy melody
and the video looks like it was a lot of fun and kept me entertained.
So I'd have to say well done and enjoyed it :)
There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

Harbidge

• Busker
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 08:25:31 AM »
Hi Schavuitje

Thanks for the comments, I'm glad you stuck with it, I know its not easy listening to genre your not into.  The vid was a lot of fun shot in Birmingham

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 02:06:01 PM »
Catchy song, neatly put together. I liked the acoustic guitar solo and the vocal harmonies (which oddly seemed louder than the main melody). You sound a bit like a British Bryan Adams, and also quite a lot like Jon Allen. It's all a bit safe and Radio 2 for my taste, but it is a very good example of what it is :)

Production wise, it does contain a pet peeve of mine; over-compressed acoustic guitars. This is even worse when strummed. They sit at one level and sound boxy. Shame, as the playing is nice and I bet the acoustic guitar sounded ace before is was mixed up. The acoustic solo playing is lovely; consistent and less overbearing compression-wise.

I wish you all the best with it  8)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

bewarethisboy

• Platinum Album
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2012, 02:27:51 PM »
Good stuff - really nice song melody vocal lyric - love the little solo in the middle - good luck with the album - I look forward to hearing it. BTB
not really good at anything - but as long as I am breathing I will keep on trying

Dutchbeat

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2012, 08:51:21 PM »
i totally enjoyed that,

music, lyrics and video (but one minor point....don't put sped up (speeded up?) images of cars driving by in a video, i think i have made that mistake too, you have it all there in the video, the fun, the weirdnes, but these cars.... ::)

but seriously, i think it terrefic! well done

cheff daniel

• Solo Gig
  • ...?
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2012, 03:32:28 PM »
fine track. a bit predictable perhaps, but thats ok with this sort of songs. yes i hear a lot of eagles, dan fogelberg and jackson browne too, but its well done, and the chorus is lovely.

gr.     Dan

Harbidge

• Busker
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2012, 06:19:00 PM »

Production wise, it does contain a pet peeve of mine; over-compressed acoustic guitars. This is even worse when strummed. They sit at one level and sound boxy. Shame, as the playing is nice and I bet the acoustic guitar sounded ace before is was mixed up. The acoustic solo playing is lovely; consistent and less overbearing compression-wise.

Yeah, I do get carried away with compression,  I'm still finding my feet mixing wise.  Thanks for the comments about the solo, believe it or not it took ages to get that right, yet live i can play it every time.  Wierd.

Harbidge

• Busker
« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2012, 06:31:44 PM »
Thanks for the kind words eveyone.

It is a predictablish song and my most commercial.  My other tunes have different arrangements but I put this out there to get more people listening.  Unfortunatley/fortunatley its the songs with the mainstream "predictable" sound that catch the majorities attention, then if your lucky they will want to hear your other stuff.  Thats the theory anyway.  I am a sucker for melody!

I'm just glad its going down well.  :)

And about the speeding cars, not my idea  ;)

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2012, 07:59:55 PM »
very nice.... very strong song & a lovely recording... it sounds extremley  catchy .. has a big commercial feel
& you look good in the video.... so its all there realy
all it needs is  some great smileys ;D

« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:02:12 PM by tinam »
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

nochancemilly

• Busker
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2012, 11:42:48 AM »
Whilst its not exactly my cup of tea it's very professionally done and certain parts brought to mind that Eagles song "Lyin Eyes" for some reason.

Nice track and video.  Congratulations on the release!

estreet

• Solo Gig
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2012, 11:53:57 AM »
Very catchy song, well recorded. I liked the video
Youth & enthusiasm are no match for age and treachery.