konalavadome

Poll

Which version to do you prefer?

Bring It Back Original
4 (66.7%)
Bring it Back Stripped Down
2 (33.3%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Bring It Back (Including Poll of Which Version)

• 37 Replies

Binladeda

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #15 on: March 01, 2018, 11:39:08 AM »

Hey Kev,

Great track mate ;D Can hear a lot of influences...but delivered with
 style and character.  Love the lyrics, thought they conveyed the confusion and pain
 really well.  I can relate  ;D ;D

Nothing I'd change here. Thought you got a little close to the mic here and there,
 bit thick....pop shield ?  Minor detail, in the spirit of perfection  ;D ;D

Nowt as queer as folk...........my gran

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #16 on: March 01, 2018, 04:37:38 PM »
Hi Kevin,

definitely reminds me of Bowie, great lyrics.

Keith

Mikey

• Solo Gig
« Reply #17 on: March 01, 2018, 08:46:44 PM »
Hi Kev, I really enjoyed this, it made me think of the electro pop stuff like the Human League, brought back some good memories, its nicely played and sung too.

Cheers, Mikey

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2018, 03:13:57 PM »
Hi, this definitely has a 'Bowie' feel to it,which of course must be a good thing. At first I thought it was a bit one dimensional, but it became strangely hypnotic with the repetitiveness. Interesting, some unusual sounds going together too!

Cheers
Jamie

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2018, 12:44:39 PM »
Thanks again to everyone for their feedback, very much appreciated as I really do use it to make improvements.

Hi Kev,
I took a few listens just now and a few things jumped out at me as i listened.
Nice song btw :)

When you start the first verse there is also backing vocals with it. imo they don't need to be there so early on in your song. For me they got in the way of your lead vocal so i would consider removing them. You have a good voice so lets hear it i say!
Save backing vocals for the chorus if they need it would be my advice.

There is a sweeping sound in this track which again for me doesn't need to be present so either lower it or remove it to allow your vocal to cut through. The entire mix will sound cleaner also by doing this. If you do decide to drop this sweeping sound out you will notice that your mix is now sounding cleaner because your percussion can now do it's job of driving the song forward more because it doesn't have to compete with this sweeping sound.
I really enjoyed the listen Kev! :)
Johnny :)

Actually, originally I didn't have the backing vocals in the first verse, but it sounded too sparse. Maybe I'll play with modifying in some way. Also, will play around with the sweeping sound ...

I think I've said it before but I can't get away from the Peter Hammil comparison vocal-wise (sorry! though I really really like his less progressive and more melodic stuff, which this could be one of).

I think it's a strong song. Writing-wise I found myself asking "bring what back"? but that may be the idea (and I certainly wouldn't want to hear "bring her back". Bring me back maybe?). Production wise the BVs sounded a bit washy and dominant at times but that's a really small thing. (I think I missed the bongos version which may be a good thing!)

Yes, the "Bring It Back" is about bringing back a lifestyle that he misses rather than just a person. The BVs are the only vocal parts with no effects, so maybe that's the issue ... another thing to play with.
Kev, It's so tricky to know what to do, when you put your song out for all to advise/comment/critique? All you can do is to do what you think is right.

IMHO it's a huge improvement, I agree with JohnnyUK, that the phase doesn't need to be there all the time, those things have more effect(no pun intended) if used sparingly, like the bongos, they sit better way back in the mix. (just a little aside here, some things can be very low in the mix if they have their own space in the stereo, just because YOU know it's there, people think it needs to be obvious, but it doesn't, experiment with having stuff going on very low in the mix, and you might be surprised...it take courage though, especially if something was difficult to play. The effect I would be looking for is  more 'It might be noticed if it wasn't there, rather than it would be noticed'

The backing vox are super.

The guitar riff might also be used more effectively if the riff is more sparingly used, the hook will be planted by the time thesong is over, I guess it's like having 'big boys don't cry' in I'm not in love going through the verse and chorus.

The 'bring it back's are much better.

There sounds like a difference in lead vox between verse and chorus?? (I'm only listening on my crummy laptop speakers) so don't take my word for it.

Hope this helps.

Good job Kev.

Hope you don't mind my comments.

cpm

Some great points and ideas, thanks. By the way, there are two "voices" one being the Narrator and the other the Subject of the song. In the absence of a co-vocalist, I deliberately tried to make them sound like different characters, if that makes sense.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2018, 02:33:06 PM »
Gotta be honest my friend and say that this was a difficult listen..the loop seems to drift around underneath the song in a very disjointed fashion..doesn't seem to want to be part of the song..and the guitar lead also floats around a bit meaningless..you have a bowie-esque style which is intriguing, I just feel you need to spend more time sorting things out arrangement wise..sorry mate... :(
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2018, 12:39:56 PM »
I'm coming to this late so I've only heard the modified version. There is something about the track which doesn't work for me. I've had a few listens but I still can't put my finger on it. I'm a fan of natural sounding recordings with not too much going on and I found this to be quite alienating to listen to and there was too much fussiness in the arrangement. I'm not a fan of processed vocals - it removes me from the singer. The "bring it back" refrain is a little too repetitive for me. This sounds like a real hatchet job which it's not intended to be but I don't just review things I like. I'm really sorry but this was not my flavour of ice cream.

M

kevysc

• Platinum Album
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2018, 04:38:16 PM »
Someone suggested I change the title from "When It Comes" to "Bring It Back", and on relection, that's a better title, so I am going with that!

Cheers,

Kevin

pnb

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2018, 04:43:47 PM »
Start reminded me of the beginning of the TV show Bergerac! (no bad thing)

For me, with this style of music, the production is so important.

I would probably tried to have widened the stereo field for the backing but kept the vocals more central.

A song in this style demands a big production.

The overall theme is very strong and its almost there, but the production gets a little mixed up and the definition get lost a little as a result.

More separation, from a production perspective would help tremendously.

Overall, a great job though.

Johnnyuk

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2018, 04:52:58 PM »
Hi Kevin,
I have a request for you. Could you please make a new version of this song and re-post it on here. Make a version where you have muted out that fuzz guitar instrument and all the backing vocals. Make a version minus those then post a link in here and i promise you 1000% everyone will like it more than your current version and all we will have done is mute a few things out.
You will still have the version you like Kev.

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2018, 05:29:16 PM »
Hi Kev, certainly another interesting track.  The melody made me think of ABC or Blancmange.  I dig it, but found the vocals somehow a bit cluttered... I think the varying volumes and treatments left me wondering which were the lead vocals and which were the BVs, and I found that a little confusing.  As Johnny suggests it would be interesting to hear a stripped back version to assess the song itself a little more - maybe it is a little over-produced at present, but I can tell there's a gem of a track in there.  Effects aside the actual delivery of the vocals sounded very strong and I liked that "Bring it back" refrain... it's a little haunting, and given a more upfront treatment felt like it could be a real hook.
It's all too beautiful.

kevysc

• Platinum Album
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2018, 06:19:05 PM »
Hi Kevin,
I have a request for you. Could you please make a new version of this song and re-post it on here. Make a version where you have muted out that fuzz guitar instrument and all the backing vocals. Make a version minus those then post a link in here and i promise you 1000% everyone will like it more than your current version and all we will have done is mute a few things out.

Johnny, many thanks for the suggestion. I am out and about at the moment, but willl try to post something tomorrow ... maybe I will even try the polling feature to get some other views : )

Cheers, Kevin

kevysc

• Platinum Album
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2018, 10:51:14 AM »
Hi Kevin,

Johnny, many thanks for the suggestion. I am out and about at the moment, but willl try to post something tomorrow ... maybe I will even try the polling feature to get some other views : )

Cheers, Kevin

I have added a new stripped down version .. I will put the link next to the original one. I have also added a poll and would like to get feedback on which version listeners prefer. Many thanks again to Johnny for his suggestions.

Kevin

Johnnyuk

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2018, 04:12:06 PM »
Hi Kevin,

Cheers, Kevin

I have added a new stripped down version .. I will put the link next to the original one. I have also added a poll and would like to get feedback on which version listeners prefer. Many thanks again to Johnny for his suggestions.

Kevin

Hi Kevin,
I voted for.......drum roll...... The stripped down version!!! :)
We finally get to hear your voice! Why on earth are you hiding it! You do know that i would still lose that sweeping flanged sound :) or at least cut it right back in the mix but that's just me.

If you like it then you should keep it cos it's your song so it's always your decision.
I am really glad that you did this Kevin. I do hope now that you can hear just how clear and uncluttered it can be around your vocal with just a few small changes like this. Keeping things/ instruments etc out of your vocals way improves your songs ability to get it's message across 100% as is the case here. So for me it was a no brainer to pick the stripped down version!
Good stuff Kevin.

PS: A song is all about the voice ( i will keep saying this until the cows come home) :)

Darren1664

• Platinum Album
« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2018, 05:23:58 PM »
This is a really catchy song! I am really enjoying your production on songs and I actually preferred the original! I appreciate the comments about stripping it back but I did feel the stripped back version lacked something...

Really great feel tfor this and a great vocal too! Nice work

Darren