Writing a song and not liking it. Is it normal?

• 12 Replies

lookingfortips

• Busker
« on: August 07, 2012, 02:46:03 PM »
i try and write lyrics and music both of witch i never really enjoy the outcome. the process of writing both lyrics and music i feel as if its a chore. I get a passion for writing but when i want to write nothing comes out or if i start writing i feel like its empty and dosnt mean anything i just have nothing worth writing about and i love music and have the urge to write. im just looking for some tips on how to get over this and start to progress with my writing

GuitarArt1980

• Open Mic
    • Shapes & Faces
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2012, 05:18:22 PM »
This advice is what I have to tell myself all the time...

Stop trying so hard.

The moment we put pressure on ourselves to be creative and over-focus, our scope of creative possibilities gets narrow. The more stress-free you allow yourself to be while writing, the more easily good ideas will come.
Please like and share my band at www.facebook.com/shapesandfaces

lookingfortips

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2012, 05:34:42 PM »

Stop trying so hard.

The moment we put pressure on ourselves to be creative and over-focus, our scope of creative possibilities gets narrow. The more stress-free you allow yourself to be while writing, the more easily good ideas will come.

thanks for the answer and yea its true i do try to hard i think im just abit to impatient i just really want to write but i dont want it to be really bad i know thats easier said that done. THanks alot (:

GuitarArt1980

• Open Mic
    • Shapes & Faces
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2012, 05:54:42 PM »

Stop trying so hard.

thanks for the answer and yea its true i do try to hard i think im just abit to impatient i just really want to write but i dont want it to be really bad i know thats easier said that done. THanks alot (:

I just remembered another valuable insight... http://writerunderground.com/2011/04/28/ira-glass-on-creativity-or-the-gap-between-our-taste-and-our-work/
Please like and share my band at www.facebook.com/shapesandfaces

lookingfortips

• Busker
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2012, 06:50:19 PM »

Stop trying so hard.

Ah thanks alot for the link it really helped put my mind at rest and i will keep working on my writing im only 18 years old right now and i know that these things take alot of practise im just always worried im going to run out of time again thank you very much (:

S.T.C

• Stadium Tour
  • American Cars........out now
    • http://oldsongsnew.com/
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2012, 07:04:30 PM »
You need life experience to write good stuff..you need practice to keep writing it.

lookingfortips

• Busker
« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2012, 08:58:02 PM »
yea iv always thought that iv not been out into that big world yet

HappyBastard

• Busker
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2012, 01:29:18 AM »
yea iv always thought that iv not been out into that big world yet
I sometimes just make stuff up completely that has nothing to do with my experience in order to make a point when I write... Effectively fiction put to music I guess.  Whether or not this works depends on what others make of it.
-- Logic is as logic does but a forgone life isn't life enough --

lookingfortips

• Busker
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2012, 01:39:42 PM »
i do something similar to that alot and i can just keep writing and i end up with alot of stuff when i do it but i always feel as if there was nothing to it and i feel like i havnt achieved anything but i guess in time il get to know more about writing (: thanks for posting

Picker

• Busker
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2012, 11:20:35 PM »
I've been writing for 30 years but don't have much to show for it because of this very reason.  However I think I may have had a breakthrough!  It's too early to tell as I have only started the process, but so far I am a bit astounded at the results.  Again, it's early to tell but I think there is real potential with this.

The concept is that first of all, like any thing else difficult, you have to practice.  You are practicing creative writing, digging down for imagery and emotions. It is good to practice this in an unstructured way, no pressure about quality or rhyme, or get the meter right, no worries of melody; that will all come later.  This method also suggests doing this on a timer to practice tapping the creativity quicker; I'm not sure I buy this part, but I'm following the instructions.

I'm sure you want to know what I am talking about, so I will let the proverbial cat out of the bag. It's called object writing, as i said, i have only started, but i am very surprised at the results so far  Buy one of Pat Pattisons books.  I have both but I think they are very similar so either will work. Or if you want his website is fairly extensive and there is a website called objectwriting.com. Find the very first post on this site, it explains how to do it.

One other thing. I think it is important to finish your songs, even if they stink. It's practice and it gets the bad stuff out of the way.

That's my 2 cents.

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2012, 08:40:39 AM »
I find it's easier to write about a story, maybe  a news story , or just a little story you make up.
This gives you original subject matter and you then know the words you're going to use,  you just have to adjust them to put them into verses etc.
Then I find the tune practically developes along the way.
Works for me  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

Jack Simmons

• Busker
    • The Streetcars Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2012, 09:12:19 AM »
write from the heart, it doesn't matter what it's about. if you're passionate about custard you'll write a good song about custard.
"Die young in the dark, that's poetry."

http://soundcloud.com/the_streetcars/tracks

mihkay

• Platinum Album
  • Tune first....Lyrics long, long way second.
    • Mihkay Demos
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2012, 09:47:27 PM »
My first song .......It was so precious.....everything about it had to be perfect and when it wasn't.... I hated it.  :(

Then I wrote another....then another.... and realised that song / lyric writing is a skill like any other.

Practice practice practice. And eventually when you realise that you have a body of work together....improve on  it and the failings of each song are diminished by the joy of the next burst of creativity building on what you've learned.
There are no short cut's....sorry........................... not unless you're Mozart.   ;D

It will become fun...............eventually.
I have no authority or standing here, only opinions. :-)