konalavadome

Chloe's Lullaby

• 21 Replies

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« on: June 14, 2015, 11:07:43 AM »
New song inspired by Bridlington (aka Walmington on Sea, at least in the new Dad's Army movie).

Chloe's Lullaby

Seagulls circling overhead
Watch them fly across the sky
Take me down to the water's edge
Lay with me on stony ground
Seagulls sing inside my head
Sweet Chloe's Lullaby

Seagulls searching overhead
Watch them land on sodden sand
Wash me clean in the evening tide
Tigers slide on Vaseline
Seagulls dance inside my head
To Chloe's rag time band

Spiders swimming by the spa
Watch them glide across the bay
Hear me sigh on a summer's night
Chloe sings her lullaby
Seagulls harmonise na na na na
Watch Chloe dance and sway

Jathon Delsy

• Open Mic
  • The Twisted Troubadour of Fleeting Fantasia
    • Jathon Delsy
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2015, 12:19:10 PM »
Quirkily charming - this reminds me of some of the more out there music from The Beatles White Album or perhaps Syd Barret. Weird and wonderful,,,,,

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 01:53:28 PM »

HEY KEITH

yeah I agree with above on all counts

you do have a nack of matching your music / vocal to the video
 I really enjoyed this

I loved the david bowie part and the seagulls at the end

nice work mate

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2015, 02:14:51 PM »
Unusually, I decided to read the lyrics first - highly recommended as they are sometimes ignored when you're focusing on the melody.  Your first verse if wonderful. - so well written. 'Tigers slide on Vaseline' Is a head turner but I'm not sure why that line is there. The introduction of 'Chloe's ragtime band' brings further interest. Which delivers the reader/ listener to the final verse. I scanned this systematically, and found great enjoyment in the lyrics - don't know what they are all about but they are certainly not average. Well done!

and so, to the music: an unexpected hypnotic military March. So unusual but it's got mileage (no pun intended). Be careful that the lead guitar parts don't distract with what the vocal and chord progression have achieved.make sure the lead guitar break is a feature. Choose the notes that take the listener on a journey. Think about the rhythm guitar - I'd try a using less effect. Embrace the build that takes the listener into,the next section. Make it more prominent if possible. Lovely addition of tambourine - try to get this to settle further into the mix for greater effect.how cool would it be to add further voices to embrace the military March theme as suggested by the addition of the second vocal in this verse? Love the quirky almost ghostly vocal effect on the ahh sound that plays this song out. Good work my friend - I hope some of the above helps and that you don't mind this kind of critique!

Thanks

Paul

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2015, 03:34:18 PM »
Oohh err! What to make of this. Don't want to be negative but it's not doing it for me. Melodically it's not to my taste and although it does "go" with the vocal delivery, the combination doesn't soar (sorry!) for me. Musically it's just a little bit to angular and awkward to be likeable. This may be your intention and I know from your previous comments that we're not on the same musical page so please take my comments with a pinch of (sea?) salt.

M

adamfarr

• Stadium Tour
    • SongEspresso
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2015, 05:59:51 PM »
Very trippy. I feel like Chloe should be the name of a psychadelic substance that I didn't know about...

Musically, I quite liked the way it built up - could even have gone for a "I Want You (She's So Heavy)" style heavier section at the end...

Dogmax

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2015, 07:27:34 PM »
Vocal wise i think this is the best i heard from you nice control you kept it within the needs of the song without losing that unique style of yours and the more i listen the better it gets.

Unusual lyrics but then it matches your unusual style which makes your song even more interesting to listen to and i have to ask  "Tigers slide on Vaseline"  does that mean something  ???   or should i ask.

Overall once i understand what that line means ill like this even more, i hope    ;D  ;D   nice one Keith.

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2015, 09:04:21 PM »
Thanks for all the comments, including Alan's.

The song is basically a lament for my lost youth, added to Digger's daughter's love of Bridlington. I did think about calling it Chloe's Lament but thought Chloe's Lullaby worked better with the words and how it developed.

I like seagulls and the songs they sing. They echo around my head long after they stop singing. So I've given them a nod.

I saw David Bowie at Brid Spa in the early 70s, great night. The Spiders from Mars came from Hull or close to it which is why I've included the Bowie references. Trevor Bolder, died two years ago and was a Hull City supporter. City's nickname is the Tigers. "Move like tigers on Vaseline" is a line from Hang on to Yourself, a track from Ziggy Stardust. A tip of the hat to a great night and a fellow City supporter. The Spider's are Chloe's rag time band. Its all in the video.
Alan your comments are always welcome, you give me a lot to think about in a helpful way. I couldn't ask for anything more.

Paul, thanks for the comments. I don't mind at all. If you don't listen you never improve. the feeling I got from the solo is melancholy, which was the intention. If it didn't work then I'll rethink it. I'll take up your advice on building a solo for my next song. Nothing goes to waste.

adam, I'm always sober, its all in my head, a great place to be, at least for me. I'm not sure about the end of I Want You. Lennon was looking forward whilst I'm looking back and the music reflects the sentiments in each song.

Jathon, I'm honoured, my first review from you and what a corker, thanks.

Tony glad you liked the video and song. Luckily I'd written the song first and got the film afterwards. The young man watching Bowie in the window was a fluke though.

Dogmax, I hope Tigers slide on Vaseline is now clear. Thanks for the compliments, I may well be a singer one day. Practice, practice and more practice.

Thank you all again, much appreciated.

Keith

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2015, 12:33:38 PM »
I'm in. As a longtime Syd and spiders era Bowie fan,I loved this even though it's a type of music I could never imitate.

Thanks for the offbeat diad.  8)

MartiMedia

• Solo Gig
    • MartiMedia
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2015, 01:08:46 PM »
Hi Keith, this recording gives me a live feel, I imagine
myself in a bar where a band is playing this. I don't
know if that was your intention, but I like that very
much. Love the video that comes along!
It's very authentic work to me, so that is hard for me to
comment on. Just one suggestion: I'd expiriment a bit with
variation in the lead vox.
Overall I really enjoyed this one, thank you for sharing! MM
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/tracks
https://www.facebook.com/MartiMedia

Most recent collab (October 2015): Never Mine To Keep - Jambrains and Martimedia
http://www.songwriterforum.co.uk/song-reviews/never-mine-to-keep-(jambrains-martimedia-collab)/

My 'best' track (Winning track of this board's 'Dreams' 2015 summer competition):
https://soundcloud.com/martimedia/dreams

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2015, 01:29:12 PM »
Very trippy..Timothy Leary is NOT dead...
strangely enjoyable, I like the lyrics..

good stuff I reckon..
timing a little iffy here and there ..is that on purpose.?

best, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2015, 06:37:40 PM »
Hi Keith, sorry about your football team :(. Yes, very Syd Barrett to my ear, maybe a bit of English Devo too. Liked the quirky lyrics and it all seemed to fit together in a strangely attractive way!
Cheers
Jamie

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »
Angular and probably the most coherent and musical piece. Matches along but not sure about the title lullaby it ain't, seems more a trip - down memory lane?
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2015, 08:43:55 PM »
Hi Keith,

Melodically and vocally i think this is up there with your most straight forward songs. In the same ball park as See Dee Gee (an old fave of mine.)

Carries your distinctive style, which i think is important, but also embraces new ideas. What will your adventures in to midi bring?

Chloe thinks it's great.

Digger

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2015, 12:54:37 AM »
enjoyed this keith
really like the words , robyn hitchcock comes to mind also in the vocals and the syd.
i have seagull envy although perhaps its the proximity to the sea id like.
i live under the ‘grey rain’ of a tribe of renegade pigeons .. 
congratulations becoming a grandad
i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1