konalavadome

Daryl Keys - "Don't look without" (J.Nighthawk Productions)

• 13 Replies

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« on: December 07, 2012, 11:02:57 PM »
So taking a break here, this is something from my "day job". The chap, Daryl Keys, wants the song circulated, as he didn't record it for commercial reasons. As well as producer, I was part of the composition, so this is a valid posting methinks!  ;D

The project rolled roughly as follows:

-The chap booked a short session to record the banjo licks he had prepared to a click.
-We layered them as he had in mind and I helped arranage the parts into sections. I laid down a bassline, some guitar and sorted the general arrangement.
-He took this away and came back to record the live drums. He then added the harmonica parts and percussion.
-The spoken word was not initially planned - it was initially an instrumental - but he had it written once the arrangement went home with him. It was laid down in one take!!
-Some realworld samples, backing oohs courtesy of yours truly (for a "mantra vibe), usual nips and tucks et voila!

I really like it, it's quirky but it works.

Anyway, I'll ping Daryl a this thread once some reviews come in, I have mentioned this place to him. Enjoy!

www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

RichyRowlatt

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2012, 11:33:42 PM »
Love this, proper quirky, great groove, needs a film written around it.

Great post James,

Richy

andy5544

• Platinum Album
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2012, 12:47:42 AM »
Cheeky cockney chappie , " gonna buy a bigger ass !!"
liked the music  ;D
I wanted to be a hippy....but my mum wouldn't let me !!

Beware the JudDeRMan when the moon grows FAT !!!!!!!!

digger72

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2012, 11:05:16 AM »
That was good fun. Kind of a hillbilly "Parklife."

Quality production

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2012, 11:19:24 AM »
This is really great

The rhythm and groove is just fantastic - I especially loved the tambourine rhythms, which made it for me

I found the vocal a little tricky to make out at the beginning (on crappy tablet speakers) but it either got clearer or I acclimatised to it!?!?!?

It would be interesting to know what the plans are for the track

For me 2 things spring to mind

As it is I think it would make a perfect soundtrack to an advert - I would definitely get it circulated to some advertising  agencies

However, I would prefer to hear it develop into a more conventional "song" - there is a great opportunity to introduce a hooky, melodic, anthemic chorus at around 43secs

The comparisons with "Parklife" would be inevitable but part of me thinks this could be a good thing, why not an updated version of this style - it would guarantee a level of interest - "have you heard that new song that is like Parklife?"

Could be an interesting marketing ploy?

I would be happy to play with a few ideas if this a direction Daryl wanted to look at (and if he doesn't write that kind of stuff of course)
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

refusedrevival

• Solo Gig
    • Refused Revival
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2012, 12:02:13 PM »
This is good. Something unusual ... Yes, you need a film around the story

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2012, 01:01:50 PM »
Lovin' it - a lot of fun. Great London vocals and lyrics that connect. Parklife meets Mumford and sons with a bit of Ian Dury in there to.
 :)
Neil   
songwriter of no repute..

Florida Mike

• Open Mic
    • Michael Holmes Singer Songwriter Official Site
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2012, 05:30:50 PM »
Ian Dury in there for me as well! (and that's a good thing as i think some of what he did was brilliant). :)   Fun track made me smile and a lot of good message in there to boot! Very creative and different, banjo always seems like such a difficult instrument to me with the droning string and all...great job!

tina m

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2012, 09:59:58 PM »
someone made a big mistake with this!.... putting up diffrent words in the video to what was being sung ...that meant i hadnt got a clue what was going on as my mind kept trying to read one & listen to the other ...so i just got totaly confused & concentrating so much i missed out on any music that was going on & then got angry & turned it of!
Tell me Im wonderful & I ll be nice to you :)

James Nighthawk

• Stadium Tour
    • www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2012, 10:56:45 PM »
someone made a big mistake with this!.... putting up diffrent words in the video to what was being sung ...that meant i hadnt got a clue what was going on as my mind kept trying to read one & listen to the other ...so i just got totaly confused & concentrating so much i missed out on any music that was going on & then got angry & turned it of!

Oddly enough Tina I did (politely, mind) mention this to Daryl. I found it disorientating too. Glad it wasn't just me!!

I think he wanted to use it to push his message. Oddly, it dilutes the message by blurring the point of focus!!

But it is his tune at the end of the day  :)
www.facebook.com/jamesnighthawk
Twitter @JamesNighthawk

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2012, 11:08:13 PM »
Very quirky for sure. Loads of fun and so different I had to listen a couple of times to get my head around it. I found the voice  a little hard to follow at the start with the load banjo pulling me away. Once the bass kicked in and the banjo backed of I felt things found their space way better and I was able to get into the dialogue better.

Liked this though, would have liked to have seen the lyrics as this is an accent I dont hear much so I had a hard time following the message. Musically and rhythmically really strong, loved the feel.

Allan.

ABeautifulVirus

• Open Mic
    • MRI
« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2012, 04:03:38 PM »
one of the most interesting and eclectic pieces of music i have heard in quite a while.
very much a tapestry of spoken word, bluegrass, honky stomp, and groove.
quite a lovely noise there mate- very kewl

-Daren

Schavuitje

• Stadium Tour
    • Camera Shy
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2012, 02:13:57 AM »
I found the same as you Tina but oddly I think it might be a good ploy. It made me watch it twice.
Once to get the lyrics and then again to see what the written message was. I think once you have got both in your head it fills the song out even more.
Think after you have seen this 20 times on the tv...
Could really do with some kind of video and it would be cool to hear what Boydie might do with it.
The song has a really cool vibe, the Parklife thing is unavoidable but probably even a good thing, it's familliar.
I'd definately look at getting this under the nose of some music production supervisors too. It would be great for certain kinds of adverts.
Good Job James and co  :)

There are holes in the sky where the rain gets in  , but they're ever so small, that's why rain is thin.

man of simple pleasures

• Platinum Album
  • power to the people
    • soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2012, 07:25:56 PM »
dig the music would have been great if it were a song rather than spoken, cant get away with it meself just had that streets geezer in me head rambling on when listening to this, sort of thing i just couldnt listen to over and over again!
fly away and find my peace of mind...

https://soundcloud.com/man-of-simple-pleasures/tracks