konalavadome

Touch of Grace

• 22 Replies

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
  • Strumming on the couch in pigtails
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« on: June 13, 2022, 10:44:06 PM »
I am trying something new. I have Komplete something from Native Instruments and I got wild. I used the strummed 12-string guitar thingy to record a track. It didn't go as well as I hoped. Sounds decent but I can't control stops. I can't cut it off to make it stop where I want. So I bounced it in place and tried trimming the WAV track. Slightly better. Then I made a few copies of the guitar track and changed the instruments. That's where it went a little crazy. I'm very interested in feedback on the production and maybe, to a lesser extent, the mixing--as it may have some bearing on the production...??

Future plans are to raise the pitch one or two half steps and do the whole thing again. Except I imagine I can keep the kick and the closed hi hat. I know the percussion is too samy samy the whole way through but I'm not sure what to do about it.

Feel free to pick it to pieces. I love constructive criticism. Unless you get mean, you will not hurt my feelings.

Here it is: https://soundcloud.com/caliamoko/touch-of-grace

Touch of Grace

I lie on the ground, so still, no sound
Lost in my mind, past left behind

CHORUS
There was a time I was so small
I couldn’t hear the future call
No more regret, my thoughts erase
And what is left, a touch of grace
A touch of grace.

Pain cuts like a knife, find joy, make a life
Darkness flees the light, open eyes, reclaim my sight.

CHORUS

I never thought there’d ever be
Such peace and love inside of me.

CHORUS

Copyright 2022 Vicki Morrison Goble

StevieJ

• Open Mic
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 09:52:43 AM »
This sounds great Vicki, you know I'm a fan of your voice and it was really good to hear it in a different way. The production ticks along nicely but I guess if you are looking raise the pitch a couple of notches then I'd maybe add some strings in the sections you are looking to raise. I enjoyed what you've created so far. Sadly I'm no expert on how to help you make it stop in places but hopefully someone here will give you some pointers. Lots and lots of potential.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2022, 02:46:42 PM »
Thank you @StevieJ . I did have strings on my mind but haven't figured out how to put them in yet. I'll be working on that.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2022, 05:08:41 PM »
Hi, nice work on this..there are various coloured keys on the Kontakt player keyboard, one of them will stop the guitar playing, on mine it's a green key round about F 4 or 5..good luck
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

man made material

• Solo Gig
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2022, 06:05:34 PM »
@CaliaMoko  I really liked this! It’s warm and delicate laced with sadness… really like the mix of synth arpeggios and the 12 string, the percussion may be simple but I don’t see that as an issue, it just provides a little drive, but it doesn’t feel like it needs any more than that, I guess the only thing I would suggest is if you can make your lovely vocal a little clearer in the mix, maybe if you’re planning to pitch it up that might be all it needs, but perhaps just boosting some of the frequencies of the vocal (but not too bright!) might just lift it enough to give it the place it deserves! Lovely anyway 👌
Sound formed in a vacuum may seem a waste of time...

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2022, 09:18:41 PM »
Great stuff this Vicki @CaliaMoko Lovely to hear you pushing the boundaries and trying new things. I love your Lovely soft vocals on this one and nice use of arpeggio synth. Fab stuff  :)

PaulyX

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2022, 10:40:32 PM »
Super to hear you experimenting @CaliaMoko ... I think the experiment has been very successful.  On first listen I wasn't too sure about the arpeggio sound (perhaps because it was unusual) but second listen it made sense and is quite a fundamental part of the song.  My favourite aspect though is the lovely vibrato on your voice... especially in the choruses... your voice reminds me of Karen Carpenter in those sections, it has the same kind of delicate warmth that she had in her voice.  Oh, and I liked the sudden no-nonsense ending.  And the lyrics - which are straightforward but quite profound, almost hymnal (if that's an adjective?).
It's all too beautiful.

QuothTheLlama

• Busker
    • SoundCloud
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2022, 11:17:27 PM »
I enjoyed the listen for the most part. You've got a great, folky voice that I love. I think I'm having an issue with the quality of the vocal track alongside the synth you have there. I love the filter on the vocals, but it's at odds with the cleanliness of that main synth sound. I feel like, if you could dirty up that synth and clean up the vocal a little they'd mesh together better. Other than that though, this is a cool experimental track. Great job :)

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 06:24:09 PM »
Wow, I did not see that coming but it was a very pleasant surprise!
A few comments/ideas
- I think you could up the tempo a couple bmps
- The guitar and the synth arps are a little "contradicting" if that make any sense= The guitar has a bit of a swing feel whereas the synth arps is a straight beat. I'd decide on one and adjust the other. Personally I'd go for the guitar beat together with a train type of drums, that would work great (I think, but one never know beforehand..)
Mixwise I'd say the vox need to come up abit, the arps backed off a little.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2022, 11:57:32 AM »
Yo Vicki.

This is a different track from you and it sounds super.

Loving the contrast between your vocals and the arps.

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2022, 11:03:52 PM »
Looks like I'm a bit behind with my thank you notes. My mother would be appalled!

@shadowfax -- thanks for the hint; I haven't figured out how to follow it yet, but now I have a clue, at least!

@man made material -- such nice comments! I have not learned much about EQ yet but you've given me some direction for this one. Thank you!

@pompeyjazz -- Yes, I want to keep trying new things, although I keep hesitating....

@PaulyX -- It's good to know the ending works for some people. Still, I really want to learn to make an ending do what I want. So more practicing to come.

@QuothTheLlama -- I'm not sure what all that means, but I'll work on it. I'm learning a lot!

@Jambrains -- I'll experiment a bit more with the tempo. I had actually started quite a bit slower and speeded it up a few times before settling on, um, I think it was 130. Your comments about the contradicting rhythms make me realize I need to pay more attention to all those details. It's a process, that's for sure!

@Skub -- Thank you, muchly! I am trying to get my writing into a more contemporary time period. Someone called this some kind of 80s pop, I forget exactly, but that means I've come forward a decade or two--I have trouble writing in a style any newer than the sixties. Maybe the seventies. So I might be making progress!

And thank you to everyone who has listened!!

Vicki

Wicked deeds

« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2022, 06:01:03 PM »
@CaliaMoko,

I'm going to give this a detailed listen over the weekend and offer suggestions about creating fades in Kontact using automation. or single chords to be played on keys which effectively create stops.  Please tell me that you are using Logic as this is tgecDAW tgat I am familiar with.

I hope that you are well.

Paul

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2022, 06:06:01 PM »
@Wicked deeds -- Alas, I am not using Logic. I use Reaper which can do nearly everything. You can't specify the key you're in like you can in Logic, but I've discovered you can program in any shortcut Logic will do. For instance, I now use the shortcut R. Reaper is extremely customizable. So go ahead and tell me in Logic what to do and I'll find a way to translate it. And I super appreciate it!!!

Wicked deeds

« Reply #13 on: July 02, 2022, 06:59:33 AM »
Good morning @CaliaMoko, Vicki

.  Create a new track
.  Select Software Instrument
. “ClassicElectric Piano”  appears in Logic, by default
.  Select “Kontact”
.  Choose desired instrument
.  Play a chord sequence/fingerpick/riff, depending on
   what you wish to include in your track
.  Your take will appear as a horizontal line
.  Play/record  a number of bars
.  Quantize your take
.  Create a loop for playback purposes
.  If you’ve recorded for example, four bars, then loop
   for six
.  Your take will continue playing beyond the fourth
   bar into the fifth
.  Click on the automation button.  In logic, it is an
   icon displaying a thin line in the shape of a
   staircase, with two fixed points bullet points along
   along the line
.  hover your mouse pointer over the recorded track
   and click.  A horizontal yellow line should appear. 
   (It’s yellow in logic) The default value will be +0.0
   D.B
.  Let’s say your recording begins at bar 2 and ends
   at the beginning of bar 6
.  If you want the track to fade from a given point to
   the end of the recording e.g bar 5 to 6, click on
   the track at grid 5 (the line will turn white and  a
   bullet point will appear on your recording.)  Place a
   second point at bar 6.  The line between the two
   points is now white.  Click on the second point and
   drag it downwards to -0.0. The track will then fade
   gradually until it is no longer audible  upon play-
   back thus leaving silence from the beginning of bar
   6.  If you want an abrupt ending, drag the first
   bullet point to the beginning of Bar 6.  You should
   now have three points: at 5 and 6, both reading
   +0.0dB and a third at 6 reading -0.0 dB.  This
   results in the audio stopping at bar 6
.  Finally, you can automate your recording to be
   louder by creating and moving horizontal points
   anywhere along the horizontal automation line

I hope this helps.

Paul
« Last Edit: July 02, 2022, 07:03:24 AM by Wicked deeds »

CaliaMoko

• Stadium Tour
    • Late Bloomers Rock
« Reply #14 on: July 02, 2022, 01:46:57 PM »
Thank you, Paul @Wicked deeds !! I copied your instructions and will be studying them.