March LOTM/SOTM compo

• 12 Replies

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
A song of the month competition hasn't happened for quite some time....... should I run one alongside the March lyric of the month?

What's anyone think?

I've listened to pretty much all songs that have gone up in March so far, and I've read quite a few of the lyrics already. I reckon I'd manage to get through everything for the month from both forums.

Seems a shame that quite a few months have passed us by without a SOTM, but i don't think i'd have time to go back over like 6 months' worth of songs or whatever it's been.....! but maybe i could do one month? or if anyone else wants to chip in with the short-listing duties we could maybe cover off a few months, say since Jan?

Whadya reckon?

Would i go completely power crazy and turn into one of the world's worst music despots?

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 07:08:49 AM »
Oh wow, that would be really cool. When I started this idea off I was hoping for great things for both formats. So far only the LOTM has taken off and for that I am really pleased. If the SOTM was to get ressurected and then hopefully someone elsy carry the torch on this would be simply fantastic. Good on you for thinking of tjis and I sincerely hope you carry it through.

Now i better find a song I can enter before the month ends...........

Thaks Caco
Allan.

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:46:05 AM »
Caco go for it.
I think it stopped because due to lack of people committing to run it. I'd be happy to do the next one.
 :)
Neil
songwriter of no repute..

Jess

• Stadium Tour
  • Disney Princess in the making
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 08:11:20 AM »
YOU GO CACOOOOOOOOOOOOO

I did August (?) sotm and it was the most stressful/intense/exhilarating experience of my life so good luck to you  :D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 10:36:20 PM »
Okeydokey we're on! Jess you've got me worried now what I'm letting myself in for...

LOTM and SOTM are go!

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 03:45:50 PM »
Okeydokey we're on! Jess you've got me worried now what I'm letting myself in for...

LOTM and SOTM are go!
As long as I win you'll be fine ;D
"When writing a song, if your afraid to suck, you'll never write a note" -Jeff Boyle

diademgrove

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 09:15:16 PM »
Good idea caco, good luck.

I'll make sure I vote in both.

diadem

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 02:16:36 AM »
Let me know how I can help.  I ran one LOM contest.... and it was quite taxing.  Anyway I can help, I'd be happy to. 

When Paul ran the LOM contest, I pre-sorted and eliminated the ones that were from the wrong time frame and/or from non-eligible contestants.  I'd be happy to do that for you.
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2014, 03:59:11 PM »
Hey HTM! Sorry for the slow response...I've just been away for a long weekend...in Vienna....channelling my inner Mozart!

Just got home and gonna start sorting now. I also have tomorrow off work, so i should be fine.......fingers crossed....

To anyone who has run one of these comps before...... did you have any guiding principles for short listing (besides the poster having made at least 100 posts)? E.g. Like going for the five that received the most positive responses, or going for your own five personal favourites, or trying to find a favourite from each of five different genres....etc??

Sadly no-one has bribed me yet so unfortunately I'm just going to have to figure out how to do it on merit!  ;D

TVM!

Jess

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2014, 08:48:09 PM »
I mean ultimately it's your decision, but I'd always have the forum's opinion in mind, ie. If your favourite lyric had a really bad response, even if you did nominate it, no one would vote for it, so it would be a wasted nomination?
If you're struggling to cut down to your final 5 I would definitely look at forum reception to narrow it down. You have a pretty normal taste in music :) so the songs/lyrics you pick will probably be the forum favourites anyway.

beckylucythomas

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2014, 11:41:12 PM »
cheers jess! hokay......

well i've narrowed it down to a long list of around 8 or 9 for each comp so far. will make final short lists tomorrow. long listing was easy.....i fear short listing will be much harder as i'd really have liked to be able to nominate all of my long list songs for voting. Guess I'll have to put on my ruthless hat tomorrow......

to any of the newer members, there's still time to up your post count to make yourself eligible for the comps! (remember you need at least 100 posts by the end of tomorrow to be in with a chance of being short listed.....)

cheese!

Gwyneth Rose

• Solo Gig
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2014, 03:46:07 PM »
cheers jess! hokay......

well i've narrowed it down to a long list of around 8 or 9 for each comp so far. will make final short lists tomorrow. long listing was easy.....i fear short listing will be much harder as i'd really have liked to be able to nominate all of my long list songs for voting. Guess I'll have to put on my ruthless hat tomorrow......

to any of the newer members, there's still time to up your post count to make yourself eligible for the comps! (remember you need at least 100 posts by the end of tomorrow to be in with a chance of being short listed.....)

cheese!

Sniff...Looks like I missed this by a hairs breath Sniff...sniff... LOL
Anyway I've cast my vote for both comps. So good luck, it really was difficult with so many talented lyricists and songs out there. Well done to everyone that was nominated. That's a feather in your cap, just to be nominated. I mean look at the Oscars LOL  ;D ;D ;D
Poet and Lyricist always looking to collaborate. Write mostly out the box lyrics in most genres.
Amateur model, painter, love ceramics and sculpture. Make teddy bears, do belly dancing and love gardening especially roses