Instrumental TV Theme Pitch

• 21 Replies

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« on: May 04, 2015, 11:41:59 AM »
Hi All

I would love some feedback on this 25 - 30 second signature theme tune

It is a pitch for a UK TV theme tune for a "comedy quiz show" - a la QI, Mock The Week etc.

Here is the brief:

The brief is to compose a piece of music which is catchy, instrumental, lighthearted, comic but not cheesy. Not too jeopardy heavy either. Big melodic hook. We’ve been given Terry and June TV theme (for the melodic hook / comedy) crossed with Countdown theme (for tension and tempo) as a strap line for the musical direction. The composition may lend itself more towards the male viewer. QI theme tune, Top Gear theme tune also referenced.

I would love to know if you could hear this as a TV theme tune as it is my first attempt at this type of writing...

https://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic/boydie-tv-theme/s-18qbk
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

ShinyThang

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 11:51:36 AM »
Bludee good first attempt! Yeah! Why not a T.V. theme? not sure it's got much in common with Terry and June and thank goodness for that! What an odd thing to mention in the brief except, of course, it probably highlights the 'lightheartedness' they're looking for which, I'm not sure you've got in your melody. You seem to have got the Countdown clicks in there though, was that deliberate?

They're, there, their  ...  They're all different!

www.soundcloud.com/geoffjamesevans

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2015, 11:59:35 AM »
The "Countdown clicks" were a little nod but I wanted to keep it subtle

The "Terry & June" thing was a little odd and I could have gone down this route - however the other "references" seemed to be more "on the money" with regard to this particular TV channel (Dave) - ie the male orientated part so I thought guitars but tried to keep it from being "rocky" to take in to account the "Terry & June" reference

I felt it was a good exercise in writing to a brief, especially with such a wide brief!
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

tone

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
  • Forum Former Führer
  • The People's Democratic Republic of Songwriting
    • Anthony Lane on soundcloud
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2015, 12:13:40 PM »
Hi Boydie

I think you've done an excellent job - very well done. It's definitely a TV theme tune to my ears, got just enough interest/ variation while keeping a strong theme, and the rhythmic changes add tension to the later part of the piece brilliantly. I think you're onto a winner there mate :) #welljel

:D
New EP: Straitjacket - Listen here

1st track from my upcoming album -- Click to listen -- Thanks!

Please read the rules before posting in the feedback forums http://bit.l

nooms

• Global Moderator
  • Stadium Tour
  • songwriter
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2015, 12:30:14 PM »
simple, familiar and catchy..
makes you think about economy .. enlightening experience and serves well when writing generally..no deadwood etc..
think youve done well here boydie cos not as easy as imagined..tho the influence of the countdown theme at the end maybe the clincher or the opposite...   
big jim sullivan was a master at these
we had a go at college and did well but no cigar, good luck paul.

i may not believe this tomorrow...

https://soundcloud.com/nooms-1

Alan Starkie

• Platinum Album
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2015, 12:31:50 PM »
Nice one.

I'd lose the reverb though.

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2015, 01:19:07 PM »
Not bad..seems to following a blues line and it's a little predictable but may be predictable is the new black!!
no reason why it couldn't be used though..

good work, Kevin
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Sing4me88

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2015, 01:40:29 PM »
Yep this seems to fit the brief bang on. It's catchy, has a nice comic kinda feel to it but builds as it progresses too. Has masterfully avoided becoming cheesy and has even worked in the conutdown clicks very subtly. I think the guitar on this is really strong and gives it that TV theme tune feel.

benjo

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2015, 02:11:32 PM »

HEY PAUL

very clever light catchy and I still had it with me after it finished IMPORTANT
 I'd lose the count down thing though it needs to be original keep away from
 something so strong as count down for me mate great shot paul

Viscount Cramer & His Orchestra

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2015, 02:39:10 PM »
Certainly very catchy and as Benjo said stays in the head afterwards which has got to be a good thing. I suppose it's a fairly familiar sounding theme - not any one song that I can name though - which helps to cement it in the brain.

First thing that popped into my head was a bunch of suited lads and mini-skirted girls jiving away on Ready Steady Go or something like that.....a bit Peter Gunn....

So....fits the 'theme tune' idea I think, and is definitely memorable, if not wildly original.

And very well presented too I might add. Sounds great!
Take it easy.

You can check my stuff out here. Mini-album getting bigger slowly. Free download if you're poorer than me.

Easy Life - Viscount Cramer

Neil C

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2015, 07:45:57 PM »
Boyie,
Love the title and great go at writing such a brief brief if you catch my drift.
Memorable and bares repeating, I liked whatever it was that was added at 15 secs and the bongoes/percussion.
Sounded like it should be on Dave, and by that I mean it fits the brief but it sounds somewhat dated. Maybe thats what Alan said with drop the reverb?
Energetic and toe tapping
Good luck
 :)
Neil   
songwriter of no repute..

TheButcher

• Platinum Album
  • I like ducks
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 10:52:08 PM »
Wow;

some references to this song.....ahhh, well. whatever; yes; i think it works perfectly for that quiz show thing.
really liked that - superb mix; sound quality is really pro man

good, good.

B

Paulski

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2015, 01:47:32 AM »
probably will work for TV. For me, it sounded like an old game show from the 70's if that's what they're after you nailed it. I would think a more modern TV sound would be a dirtier and compressed guitar sound, funkier bass and drums that pop? Also seemed like there are some phasing effects going on which kind of give it a washy sound. Hope this helps - don't want to sound negative - the client's opinion is all that matters for a pitch!

Paul

seriousfun

• Stadium Tour
    • Allan Kilgour - Original Compositions
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 02:17:02 AM »
Ive had a few listens to this and I think it might be a bit dated in sounds which tend to dull down the energy this sound clip has the potential to generate. I also have a question mark over the 24-26 sec mark which pulls back the build up IMHO before the big chord at the end. You could try and extend the build you started at the 21 sec mark to carry through to the 26 sec mark area.

Its pretty good as is, but the bar will be very high for this. Its a super little clip and if it doesn't fit the bill here, hang onto it for the next opportunity.

hardtwistmusic

• Stadium Tour
  • Central Oregon Sunset
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2015, 02:23:28 AM »
Given the specification you were given to follow, I think it fits all the criteria except "comic."   I didn't hear anything comedic in it.   But then, I have no idea what "comic" would sound like in an instrumental.  I think of the theme from "Benny Hill." 

But, it's "comic" because of the context, not necessarily because there is "comedy" inherent in the song. When I think about it, that seems true for every "comic" piece of music I hear. 

"Wierd Al Yankovich" tends to make a lot of different songs "comic" because of the comical changes to lyrics.   

I know what cheerful, happy, and "happy go lucky" sound like.  But I haven't a clue what "comic" would sound like.   

So, I'd have to conclude that you have nailed it. 
www.reverbnation.com/hardtwistmusicsongwriter

Verlon Gates  -  60 plus years old.