Friday Night (Disco 2020)

• 17 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: July 10, 2020, 07:12:24 AM »
Ah ! - No, it's not a song about our Zoom sessions  :) I have been listening to a lot of mix tapes that one of my mates put together on Mixcloud and after listening to a mix of disco tracks from the mid 70's I thought that I would try and create something in a similar genre.

A big thank you to @Melusine2 Cecile for adding some fabulous vocals and our old friends "The New York Brass" - Some serious sample chopping going on here to try and get the brass runs that I wanted.

Anyway, it's supposed to be a "feel good Friday" song, so I hope that you enjoy it  :)

Friday night is party night
When all our cares are left behind
Friday night is when our dreams come true
Friday night is out of sight
End everything just feels so right
Friday night I want to spend with you

V1

Forget the working week
The sniping and the politics
Meetings with important people
Who haven't got a clue
Hold on tight, it's soon the weekend
Although the week seems never ending
Think about what's going to happen
And what we're going to do

Ch

V2

Goodbye to the offices
And factories, we need a break
Heading for a cocktail on the beach
Deep inside, feel so alive
A feeling that I just can't hide
Let's take a chance and dance in the light

M8

Disco lights flashing underground
With a pulsing beat and a funky sound
All the cares we had today
Disappear and drift away

Ch

Jambrains

• Platinum Album
  • Jim Steinman ftw!
    • Jambrains
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2020, 07:56:25 AM »
Ahhh, disco, sounds fab!
Mix is a bit harsh esp the hi hat and female vocals and perhaps it needs a little more low end but overall it is very good.
Male vocals perhaps not qualified to join Bee Gees but works surprisingly well in this context.
Good thing this is not a video review lest you would have seen me doing my coolest disco moves  :-)

kevysc

• Platinum Album
  • I'm Working from Memory
    • Your Song Contest
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2020, 08:19:26 AM »
Really like this .... retro- disco but still feels modern.

A couple of points:

1. Lyric correction, V1 line 4 should be "Who are never wrong"
2. I would pump up the bass line (although as I am listening on lo fi, could be my speaker

Anyways, really enjoyed it including the twirly ending

Kevin

mickyplankton

• Platinum Album
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2020, 02:23:53 PM »
Hi Pompey.

Listened twice in a row just now and the 2nd time around it was a bit closer to Friday night! Both listens enjoyable. It’s a solid slab of Disco. The chorus is catchy enough that it lingers on after listening. The one thing that I felt it was missing was some kind of break 2/3 in that revisits the vibe of the first 9 seconds and then builds up again just to give the song a bit more of a dynamic range. But I know very little about Disco so feel free to ignore!

Cheers

Micky

Jamie

• Stadium Tour
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2020, 02:47:37 PM »
@pompeyjazz @Melusine2
Hi guys, this is a brilliant evocation of that era and style, sounds totally authentic. Though I also thought it was a bit mid and high end heavy, missing some more bass.
Brilliant song ,brilliantly sung and played
.Nice one!

Cheers
Jamie

Andreas

• Solo Gig
  • Singer/Songwriter from Norway
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 04:26:57 PM »
Brilliant! Disco alà 2020. Love the singing of both of you! :)

Good work!

MichaelA

• Stadium Tour
    • Sixth Beatle - a music themed novel by Michael A (not much about  The Beatles!)
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 08:01:18 AM »
Wow I love the production on the vocals, really something quite different. Well this is a lot more fun than our Zoom calls, sounds a much more appealing way to spend Friday nights. I miss hearing that old theme of waiting for the weekend that used to be featured in so many songs of old - Monday I've Got Friday On My Mind kind of thing. It's such a true sentiment when you're trying to get through a drudgery filled working week. So I love the escapism you have managed to capture in this and the joyous disco atmosphere is totally infectious and authentic.

Pretty damn catchy too!  ;D
My latest novel: pls check it out!

‘Gavin & The Bodysnatchers’, a quirky comedy crime thriller. Easily found on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09GZ7C8M7?ref_=pe_3052080_397514860

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2020, 11:17:01 AM »
Wow, transformed straight to the 70's, you've definitely got the genre right mate...gotta agree with a couple of points made by jambrains though.. :)
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

Grubstar

• Open Mic
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2020, 03:31:58 PM »
HI PJ

I really enjoiyed this, very infectious and a lot of fun with a great chorus .I understand  the 70s disco background but I think its got a nice contemorary feel as well.Loved the vocals and the horn samples but also really liked the synth line interspersed throughout. Very impressive song.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2020, 10:16:01 AM »
@pompeyjazz - How's the head from the Friday night Zoom bash?

Loved this, my only thought was that your vocal style just didn't work for me, a bit like Elvis Costello does Disco,  maybe make more use of   @Melusine2 providing more oohs, loved her breathy Frenchness. Her voice is perfect for the genre.

The only other thing was some of the flow of the lyrics, some seemed a bit shoe horned, as it were.

You should start a Genre Jumping playlist...

Nailed it john, take care with those platforms

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2020, 05:01:16 PM »
Thanks all for the discotastic feedback on this latest number

@Jambrains Thanks - You are absolutely right about the mix, I have adjusted it accordingly. This is whey this forum is just so awesome. I won't be getting my white suit out yet for sure :)

@kevysc Great to see you back and thanks - Bass line pumped up !!

@mickyplankton Cheers Micky - I see what you mean about a breakdown. I think that it would work. Cheers for the listen :)

@Jamie Wow ! thanks man, really appreciate the feedback and glad that I managed to create a fairly authentic vibe

@Andreas Thank you man - Keep on dancing :)

@MichaelA Cheers Michael - Yup ! I really wanted to capture that "waiting for the weekend" kinda vibe. The lyrics are not particularly sophisticated but intentionally so. Much appreciated

@shadowfax Cheers Kev - Hopefully corrected now :)

@Grubstar - Many thanks. I just love those brass samples from "New York Brass" although there was a lot of chopping and shifting to do with this number. Glad that you enjoyed the listen

@cowparsleyman Cheers Rich - You are quite right, Barry Gibb I am not  ;D  Has Elivis C ever done anything disco orientated ? I don't think he has. Finally got a chance to take thos damn platforms off.

Thanks all once again :)

MonnoDB

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2020, 05:12:08 PM »
Gotta love a bit of disco :) - mood of this is perfect.. @Melusine2 vocals superb and very suited to the song/genre.. I like the contrast between your vocals.. Were you dancing as you tracked that vocal? I'd like to see some footage (as well as some of @Jambrains when listening :)!)..

You two are coming up with some great stuff together, getting out of your comfort zone, eh? Fab stuff @pompeyjazz

K

shadowfax

• Stadium Tour
  • Singer songwriter
« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2020, 05:53:12 PM »
Sounding better for sure... @pompeyjazz
Soundcloud Shadowfax6

from the nightmare!

montydog

• Stadium Tour
  • http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h40/montydog1/Me
    • Reverbnation
« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2020, 02:10:53 PM »
Yeah! Really loved this one. A great homage to mid 70's disco. It's all there in all it's glory. As others have said, it could do with a bit more heft on the bass (listening on studio monitors) but otherwise it's a brilliant piece of work. Great melody, loved the brass and female vocals I spotted the "pidoo" part in the mix - very clever.

M

Wicked Deeds

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2020, 10:45:54 AM »
Lovely piano intro followed by a fantastic rhythmic groove.  I think that the biggest task is writing a lyric to fit this beauty. It's a genre that doesn't emphasise the importance of lyric writing but if you could write something that is special to yourself or a predicament in your life then weave it into the lovely musical arrangement, then this would really connect.  I think that your vocal is sounding better than ever John!

Wonderful music!

Paul
« Last Edit: July 26, 2020, 11:02:05 AM by Wicked Deeds »