konalavadome

Male vocal on demos for female artists?

• 3 Replies

Embran

• Busker
« on: November 16, 2014, 06:27:13 PM »
First of all, Hello everyone!

I am aspiring songwriter and before I start to pitch my songs I have a question.

Most of my songs are written with female artist in mind, although lyrics are unisex and could be sang by male artist too. I think I'm a decent singer and I sing on them but the question is: Would it be better to hire a female vocalist to sing on my demos, or does the music industry doesn't really mind about the sex of the demo singer? What is the industry standard?

I know like Umbrella, or Irreplaceable had demos sang by male songwriter.

If there was a topic like that, I'm sorry and would appreciate a link.

Thank you

Boydie

• Administrator
  • Stadium Tour
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2014, 06:58:15 PM »
If you serious about pitching your job is to make it as easy as possible for the artist/manager/producer/label etc. choose your track for the artist

This means putting everything on a plate - so if you are an "unknown" writer pitching to a female artist then it should not only be a female vocal but also be a female vocal with a similar "sound" to the artist

The odds are already stacked against you so you need anything to help

Yes, there are stories of writers pitching male vocals but why ask the "team" to imagine what it would sound like if the artist sang it

It is exactly the same as making your demo "radio ready" - in this day and age you just can't expect the label etc. to "imagine" what a fully produced demo will sound like - you have to give it

You will be pitching against pro writers with studios, session singers on hand etc. etc.

I still feel that a guaranteed hit song could still get through but the label can be so picky you need to do everything you can to get an advantage
To check out my music please visit:

http://soundcloud.com/boydiemusic

Twitter: https://twitter.com/BoydieMusic

Onelabel

• Busker
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2014, 07:02:01 PM »
Wot he said (Boydie)

...although personally I'm not so sure that 'talent will out' - (although maybe I'm just becoming a cynical old scroat) but I'm seeing some absolutely amazing songs being passed over by publishers and labels.

But to stand ANY chance your demo has got to be as close to the finished product as possible. Please ignore what you have heard about other pitches - they were done by established songwriting teams, guys who currently dominate pop songwriting.

Chris Erhardt

• Busker
    • Tunedly
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 03:08:01 AM »
Nobody wants a "demo" these days. The demos that are being passed on are master quality and could go into the press as is already. So, if you're an unknown songwriter and want to pitch for female artists, you need a "demo" with female vocals. If you're name is Shaffer Smith you can get by singing with male vocals and pitch it to Rihanna, Beyonce, etc. ;-)