konalavadome

Music Distribution

• 11 Replies

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« on: January 04, 2024, 01:15:22 PM »
Apologies if you know this already but I just wanted to share my experiences. I've used Amuse for a number of years to get my music published on streaming platforms. Not that they get many listens but at least the music is out there. My latest album release has been a fairly torturous process and 3 songs have been rejected as Amuse deems them to be "Podcasts or Audiobooks" This is all totally confusing as there is no spoken word content in any of the songs and I can't get any response from Amuse.

A friend pointed out to me that distribution is available via the "Soundcloud for Artists" feature which is built into Soundcloud Next Pro (I think a lot of us guys on here subscribe to that) I probably knew that already but had never investigated. The release procedure is relatively straight forward and despite a couple of (user error) hiccups I've now managed to get the release approved. The process is also relatively quick compared with Amuse (Approx 2 weeks) and your music is distributed to more stores. Anyway, hop this helps and you might also save a few quid ! Cheers, John

PeteS

• Platinum Album
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2024, 01:39:01 PM »
That is interesting John, i don't subscribe but might take a look.

I use EmuBands for mine and so far they have been brilliant, so easy to use.
New album out now - Wrong Time, Wrong Place : https://open.spotify.com/album/7AKxi8xiendb9dY22v4QnP?si=AR0VZ1pjSDOwVosifVd_sA
Instagram @echodogsofficial

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2024, 02:55:36 PM »
@PeteS Blimey, that’s another distribution platform that I haven’t heard of. There are so many out there now. Think I’m going to stick with SoundCloud from now on as at least everything is in one place !!

pompeyjazz

• Stadium Tour
  • pompeyjazz
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2024, 09:41:07 PM »
Update from Amuse. Apparently the 3 song’s rejected contained AI content! Fuck knows what AI bot they are using to check song content and it seems that these songs and it seems that these platforms are ever increasingly using AI technology to vet music that doesn’t meet the bots approval. Something to think about. Won’t be using them again!

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2024, 02:09:21 PM »
I've used Distrokid for a long time now,John. I'm writing less and less these days,but I haven't had any bother getting songs accepted.

I think it's about 15 quid annually for Distrokid,though I really am wondering why the hell I bother anyway.

cowparsleyman

• Stadium Tour
  • What would you rather be or a wasp?
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2024, 01:51:35 PM »
@Skub - Me too, Distrokid is a breeze, and like You Davy, I'm re assessing where my work should be available, maybe just Soundcloud and our forum, and if anyone cares to listen then that's fine, but I'm not going to push it.

Good to hear from you again.

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2024, 12:13:49 PM »
And you Rich. A belated HNY to ya.   8)

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2024, 09:04:58 PM »
My music is only on soundcloud

I'm not sure I see the point of putting it on Spotify
I might just do it with one album and see how I feel after a while.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

Skub

• Stadium Tour
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2024, 10:44:41 AM »

I've found Spotify impossible to gain any traction,or to find a way to increase plays. I think I had 3 plays last month.  ::)

Perhaps it's because I never use it to listen,or something. Anyway,it's a failed format for me.

Whiskey Club

• Open Mic
    • Whiskey Club
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2024, 10:55:49 AM »
I tried out DistroKid and CdBaby.  Settled with CdBaby so the annual fee for DK has been wasted.  Apart from being more expensive I am 100% happy with CdBaby.  Great help desk response and that’s what matters most to me.  Ymmv.

Cheers - John.

rightly

• Stadium Tour
  • newer Soundcloud https://soundcloud.com/2rightly
    • My cloud o' sound.
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2024, 10:08:42 AM »

I've found Spotify impossible to gain any traction,or to find a way to increase plays. I think I had 3 plays last month.  ::)

Perhaps it's because I never use it to listen,or something. Anyway,it's a failed format for me.

Spotify.
 Of course it has obnoxious business policies regarding payment to artists.
I immediately lost interest.
Over the years musicians I know, generally seem to go through a number of opinions.

I recently had somone expressing their disappointment because I can't be young there.
They wanted to get me on a playlist.
Oh I dunno I might put an album on it, and reevaluate after some time.
It's either this or that, then again it might be the other. 

I can promise you a future of slow decline.

Don't eat the yellow snow

And there you have it. 

https://soundcloud.com/2rightly

https://soundcloud.com/rightly

ChrisPrice

• Platinum Album
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2024, 10:58:03 AM »
Like many here, my music goes on Soundcloud first off. So said, I've done 3 albums so far and I put them on Site123 which is really easy to use. I pay for an annual subscription when an album is first released..that covers the necessary bandwidth. After that, the older albums go onto their free service as there's very little traffic beyond the initial release. I don't generate any money this way of course, but I'm not trying to do that at my time of life. The good news is that there's no bots or smart asses telling me what I can and can't upload. On the downside it's entirely down to me to make sure that the quality is good enough.

Is it worth doing albums at all I sometimes ask myself. Well, I feel it gives me something to focus on, and it's nice to have the finished article out there. Without a doubt it's Soundcloud that gets my music heard the most. I don't bother monitoring my albums' traffic - it would probably piss me off royally if I did!!
« Last Edit: February 19, 2024, 11:05:10 AM by ChrisPrice »